Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Four Stroke Progression 22

Well, I guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag. After 28 years of loyal service, the time has finally come to re-power my 1992 Progression 22. The Mercury 2.5/200 - massaged by the fine folks at Diamond Marine - was an awesome motor and I will probably never have anything that sounds and runs that nasty again. But, parts were getting harder to find and when I could get them, they were getting stupid expensive. That and the 2.5 had let me down a few times in the last few years with what I can only call "minor problems typical of a 28 year old motor." Here's what the old girl looked like before we unbolted her.

Knowing that I still drive the boat pretty hard - even though I'm way too old to be doing it - I decided to have somebody who really knew what they were doing do all of the work. Jason and Johnny Saris of Performance Marine in Bolton Landing, NY were my first choice. We discussed many different motor and hardware options before settling on the new package. Basically we've gone to a Mercury 250R with a 20" mid (the old motor was a 25"), Sea Star Pro hydraulic steering (the old motor had a Latham wing plate system) and a manual jack plate with 10" of set back (the old one had 8"). We're also converting the trim tabs over to Lenco actuators and doing a few other rigging changes. Here's what the boat looked like the other day when they hung the new motor.

I know I'm probably going to take some ribbing on not going to a 300R (or even a 450R), but the price difference is staggering. Besides, mid-80's is fast enough for me and the wife these days. As for the steering, as much as I wanted to stay with a Latham wing plate system, apparently Mercury will not warranty a 250R with a wing plate. This, even though you can order a 300R with a wing plate from the factory.

As for props, we've got 28" and 30" Bblades Blasters sitting on the shelf waiting to test. Johnny gets to freeze his nuggies off doing the testing on Lake George. Other than a few quick blasts, realistically, I think testing and break in will have to wait till spring. Wish us luck!
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's GREAT! I saw Saris post about it on Facedork... Awesome boat sir!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...soo so bad ash....congrats!

we need more pics and videos!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what was the $$ saving between a 250R and a 300R ?

I may go the same route...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I promise to share more pics (and videos) as they become available.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noli View Post

what was the $$ saving between a 250R and a 300R ?

I may go the same route...

The difference was pretty significant. Like many thousands of dollars. I just couldn't justify the price difference for maybe 5-8 MPH. Besides, mid-80's on Lake Ontario is cooking along pretty good. My body probably wouldn't like the additional beating the 300R would have allowed. Then there's the beating my wife would have provided for going too fast ...
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

7. Thanks noli thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better angle.

1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slick looking rig!

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

10. Likes specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably go that route on the Paramount when the time comes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should look into the SeaStar PA (power steering). It’s pricy but worth every penny. Turning left at speed will be a rather unpleasant experience and since you need to balance the boat on the pad the torque on the wheel will prevent the subtle movements that can make all the difference. I added it to my Key West 210BR with the 250 ProXS running as high as the lower will allow and it makes it a pleasure to operate at any speed over 40 (it will do 72). I also run it on my Talon, I will never not have it with these big outboards.
    Last edited by mjw930; 11-26-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Mark

13. Likes noli, Headless Hula, TooStroked liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be a big week. If all goes well, my re-rigged boat should hit the water this week for the first time. Keep your fingers crossed! Pics (and hopefully video) as they become available.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    You should look into the SeaStar PA (power steering). It’s pricy but worth every penny. Turning left at speed will be a rather unpleasant experience and since you need to balance the boat on the pad the torque on the wheel will prevent the subtle movements that can make all the difference.
    Interesting observation, but the boat has never had power assist for the Latham wing plate system on the 2.5/200 and I can take my hands off the wheel at full throttle. (Not that I would recommend that.) And I'm constantly making minute steering corrections to counter chine walk. It does not require more effort turning one way than the other either. Since we're keeping the same (Capilano) helm, I'm fairly certain that we won't have issues with the new front mount system. Johnny Saris will find out very soon when he drives the boat and I have 100% confidence in his driving and setup abilities.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TooStroked View Post
    Interesting observation, but the boat has never had power assist for the Latham wing plate system on the 2.5/200 and I can take my hands off the wheel at full throttle. (Not that I would recommend that.) And I'm constantly making minute steering corrections to counter chine walk. It does not require more effort turning one way than the other either. Since we're keeping the same (Capilano) helm, I'm fairly certain that we won't have issues with the new front mount system. Johnny Saris will find out very soon when he drives the boat and I have 100% confidence in his driving and setup abilities.
    Since you aren't replacing the helm all bets are off, I have no idea how much leverage the Capilano provides or if its even compatible with the SeaStar PA (though I suppose the 1200 unit might work) You are going from a larger unbalanced ram mounted with geometry that provides more leverage than the SeaStar front mount balanced ram so it may work fine or it may not.

BTW, the ability to take your hands off the wheel at speed means nothing, all Seastar helms have the reverse flow valve that allows you to do this. that's not why I recommended power steering.

One thing I do know is virtually everyone who hasn't driven a big outboard running high X dimensions with power steering insisted they didn't need it. Right until they tried one with power steering. Do you absolutely need it, no. Is the boat better with it, absolutely.
    Mark

17. Likes JPEROG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    One thing I do know is virtually everyone who hasn't driven a big outboard running high X dimensions with power steering insisted they didn't need it. Right until they tried one with power steering. Do you absolutely need it, no. Is the boat better with it, absolutely.
    I'm certainly not going to argue with you there! I've been driving the boat with the modified 2.5/200 for over 25 years and yes, it's jacked up as far as it can be and still get out of the hole. I've driven boats with power steering and there's definitely less effort than mine. I guess we'll see how she runs and go from there. Thanks for the advice!
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Appears that you may need to change your screen name. Lol... Good luck!
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast