Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Terminals and Crimp Pliers Needed for Boat Wiring

Guys,

I want to find and purchase a professional "Marine Rated" terminal connector tool and system for building and repairing wiring harnesses. I want to replace the heavy-duty eyes and spade connectors for my control box and those fitting onto my dash gauges, but my NAPA generic stuff just ain't working for me. Inputs needed - What do the big rigging companies use and where do they get them?

Thanks, Gordon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon02 View Post
    Guys,

I want to find and purchase a professional "Marine Rated" terminal connector tool and system for building and repairing wiring harnesses. I want to replace the heavy-duty eyes and spade connectors for my control box and those fitting onto my dash gauges, but my NAPA generic stuff just ain't working for me. Inputs needed - What do the big rigging companies use and where do they get them?

Thanks, Gordon

https://www.mcmaster.com/electrical-wire-tools

3. Likes CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...just a fyi. not any hand wiring tools that are marine rated. as far as wire itself goes, its best to use tinned 105 degree wire. it will be printed 105 degree, on the side, on its entire length, of any & all sizes. its available in all the tootie fruity colors for unusual additional accessories, as well as the normal, standard, basic, BIA (boating industry association) required/recommended colors...all colored 105 degree wire is also available with tracer stripes of any color you want. uninsulated tinned terminal ends. epoxy heat shrink.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 11-12-2020 at 08:00 PM.

5. Likes CI STV, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiring in a boat is a bit of an art. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution.
    Good heat shrink connectors, or better yet tinned connectors with quality adhesive lined heat shrink on top.
    Most direct routing possible, minimize connectors/splices/plugs.
    Don't cheap out on materials, wire isn't cheap but neither is doing the same job twice.

7. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...i've spent a few hundred thousand at this place... www.pacergroup.net

9. Thanks CI STV, loop thanked for this post
    Likes Headless Hula, Z06man liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wanting to replace the ring terminals and the 90 degree female spade (angled) terminals. I have the Vintage Connections kit and I've used them for years, but those are not the same terminals used inside my Evinrude control boxes. I was hoping for a simple link to a "kit" and be happy ever after....I'll spend some time on the McMaster Carr site - I've got an account with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pliers.JPG  
    Last edited by Gordon02; 11-12-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm wanting to replace the ring terminals and the 90 degree female spade (angled) terminals. I have the Vintage Connections kit and I've used them for years, but those are not the same terminals used inside my Evinrude control boxes. I was hoping for a simple link to a "kit" and be happy ever after....I'll spend some time on the McMaster Carr site - I've got an account with them.
    Once again , you ask for "BEST" in both terminals and pliers. People have went out of their way to share experience and resources.
    Nope their all wrong .. you want 90* terminals that fit an antique Evinrude , all in one tidy package.
    Instead of wondering why you didn't say that in the first place .. I have just one question .
    You know what an "askhole" is ... right ..???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of ratcheting pliers. I use the Klein hand crimpers for terms(I can feel the crimp.....ratchet? nope). I used to use the generic red, blue, yellow as well. But when I got into serious wire harnesses and more, I went to non-insulated terms and 3:1 adhesive lined shrink....never looked back, and it looks as good or better than a factory. Tiny tie wraps are your friend as well.

another place for supplies........... www.delcity.net

13. Likes Whaaaaat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz, pour the pi$$ and vinegar out of your cup and get a fresh coffee - add some sweetener and perhaps you'll feel better.

I'm not disappointed in the information given, just your post. This is not your first, how about blocking my post and just not engaging?

I've bought 3 different kits, one from Vintage Connections that I use on motorcycle restorations, one from Amazon listed as "heavy duty", and then one from NAPA and none are the thick steel terminals as used on the 1978 OMC factory harness. I don't need exact, but one came with thin steel and the other one has aluminum terminals. I'd like to use what companies like Pacer do - I'll just need to investigate more.

Thanks to all that offered helpful info, Chaz, just stay out of my head - it makes me feel dirty.

Gordon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...those unusual 90's will be hard to find. not impossible though, and you will have to more than likely buy a quantity of 100. they are not used in a boats rigging at all. they are/were more of a mechanical(inside electric motors, automotive, etc.) type terminal end. you could check ebay. may the force be with you.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 11-13-2020 at 09:59 AM.

16. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fuji for the link, wire with tracer is hard to find.

Gordon, I think they call the terminals you are looking for "flag terminals" should make your search a little easier.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tool looks like the generic Made in China pliers I buy at the auto supply store...__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is a good link for wire Fujimo prices are good.
    24 Twister

20. Thanks Whaaaaat thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pacer or Ancor is the 'Good stuff".

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

22. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chaz, pour the pi$$ and vinegar out of your cup and get a fresh coffee - add some sweetener and perhaps you'll feel better.

I'm not disappointed in the information given, just your post. This is not your first, how about blocking my post and just not engaging?

I've bought 3 different kits, one from Vintage Connections that I use on motorcycle restorations, one from Amazon listed as "heavy duty", and then one from NAPA and none are the thick steel terminals as used on the 1978 OMC factory harness. I don't need exact, but one came with thin steel and the other one has aluminum terminals. I'd like to use what companies like Pacer do - I'll just need to investigate more.

Thanks to all that offered helpful info, Chaz, just stay out of my head - it makes me feel dirty.

Gordon
    I didn't call you anything ... Like you, I asked a question ..

Judging by your knee jerk reaction .. it must be applicable ..

In reality, you should thank me. Otherwise, everyone would still think you are looking for the "BEST" crimping tool and terminal ends ..

If you think that you can buy generic kits off of Amazon and find the quality of anything built in the 60's or 70's .. well you learned your lesson on that already, no need in me adding an exclamation point ..

There must be at least 100 members here that are experts on the 1978 OMC harness. Strange none of them have come forward yet ...

Since you still haven't come forward with exactly what it is you need ..

My guess is #10 eyelets for a 12 or 14 gauge wire ..

As far as multiple wires on one spade connector junction .. You can put two 14 gauge wires in a 10 - 12 gauge (yellow) end .. then bend to fit ..

You should feel very comfortable using these people .. they even have "BEST" in their name ..

Your welcome ...

https://www.bestboatwire.com/

24. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast