Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool 1986 F1 turbo cars, 1350+HP in qualifying trim

Some say 1450hp in qual. trim for the BMW engine.
    Look at the size of the rear wing to keep the tires planted.

-----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

2. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish F1 would go back to the simple engine regulations of 3.0 liter normally aspirated or 1.5 liter boosted and forget about the way over complicated hybrid crap. Also, put manual gear boxes back in the cars. You get a real appreciation for the driver talents watching these old videos. But, then again, I've always viewed F1 as the military air superiority race for civilians. It would be interesting to see how well Charles LeClerc could drive a Ferrari T 12 from Lauda's era.
    Just an analog guy trapped in a digital world.

4. Likes David - WI, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was already kind of over by 86 traction control and other sneaky techy devices were being used. I agree, take out all the gizmos and gadgets and let the drivers and machines compete

This was some solid racing here

Hydrostream dreamin

6. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't mind a lot of the tech. Racing in the 90's was good and sometimes not so good but I think overall it was a great decade for F1.

I understand why they went hybrid but I don't like the way they have implemented it. I think they are trying to do too much with it. It really killed competition. I just hope they get it right with the new rules package for 2022.
    One of the things I think that is hurting F1 is not letting teams copy other teams tech. They can make their version of something but not a close copy of it. I don't mean bodywork but with this Hybrid tech let the other teams copy what the dominant team built.

The average fan just wants to watch good racing and really don't care that this team or that team is running the same engine package. If you can't see the part most fans don't really care about it. Yeah there are the tech nerds and I'm one but when the competition is so lopsided what is the point. It's so complicated, expensive and with limited testing and a restricted allowable number of certain parts how are teams ever going to catch up trying to come up with a better way to do the same thing.

Do you care in boat racing and motorcycle racing that everybody is pretty much running the same stuff? No, you watch it to see good racing.
    Last edited by CDave; 11-07-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    I don't mind a lot of the tech. Racing in the 90's was good and sometimes not so good but I think overall it was a great decade for F1.

I understand why they went hybrid but I don't like the way they have implemented it. I think they are trying to do too much with it. It really killed competition. I just hope they get it right with the new rules package for 2022.
    One of the things I think that is hurting F1 is not letting teams copy other teams tech. They can make their version of something but not a close copy of it. I don't mean bodywork but with this Hybrid tech let the other teams copy what the dominant team built.

The average fan just wants to watch good racing and really don't care that this team or that team is running the same engine package. If you can't see the part most fans don't really care about it. Yeah there are the tech nerds and I'm one but when the competition is so lopsided what is the point. It's so complicated, expensive and with limited testing and a restricted allowable number of certain parts how are teams ever going to catch up trying to come up with a better way to do the same thing.

Do you care in boat racing and motorcycle racing that everybody is pretty much running the same stuff? No, you watch it to see good racing.
    Throw out the rules except for weight, chassis size and style limits, and lets get back to racing. Best man and machine wins end of story.

Do I care? Yes. I hardly ever watch racing anymore, its not racing its rule book cheating and nothing else. Nascar ( France racing ) rules are mainly meant to keep most of the cars together so they get as equal as possible marketing TV exposure. Bernie Eccelstone took over F1 because he secured the TV rights in the 70's. He wasnt much of anything in F1 at that time and tried desperately to get other teams and sponsors to buy in to the TV dream of his. Almost all decline, bad for them, good for him.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tech is pushing the envelope for thermal efficiency well past what I was taught was possible in engineering school. I don’t watch but I like to read about it

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO, the best of the F-1 era.

Single car qualifying, cars/motors set to kill......., LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT.

The teams said the motors were toast at the end of qualifying.

The factory’s were full in.

Youtube that era.

Full gonzo, we will win or self destruct trying.
    The teams were all in.

1100 hp in line 4 bangers?
    Yes please!
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

11. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post