Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightweight Race Batteries?

I’m looking at a few lightweight battery options for my 2.5 Drag STV MVP project.
    Over the years I’ve run Optima batteries in my previous boats and in recent years I’ve been running Odyssey batteries in my cars, but those are actually heavier than a similar sized regular battery.
    I’ve never owned a Braille lightweight battery, but I know a couple of friends who tried them a while back and they didn’t last very long, which seems to be what most folks say on the websites I’ve researched them on.
    There’s now a bunch of options in Lithium, which offer more amperage, smaller size and significantly less weight.
    But, as with most new shiny things, there’s the risk of the unknown, and I’m not sure how they keep up in a race boat with a 16 amp charge system.
    I figure there must be a few folks on here who’ve tried these things and I’m hoping that some of you might proffer your views and/or experience with them, before I buy one and pay to ship it all the way to me and pay import tax on it, etc.

Here’s one that I’m looking at. 1440 cranking amps and only 10 lbs sounds like a winner to me. Not cheap though, but I can get it much cheaper from one of the large shops like Jegs, Summit, etc.

https://4xspower.com/shop/li-series/...eries/li-s975/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of VoltPhreaks batteries that I will be selling. For a lightweight STV. I have had very very good luck with them. Some have lasted over 10 years.
    2023 TUFF 25

3. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did way to much research on this not to long ago. Some of the stuff in the Hot Rod catalogs are private Labeled AGMS by DEKA/East Penn.

The guys I spoke to using new lightweight higher cost Lithium stuff works.

This summer I was at a drag boat race and saw the top off a very lightweight lithium China battery that had failed. The case size was like a Motorcycle/ATV battery. We were surprised to see that all that was in the case was this little Lithium Battery about the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes. The rest of the case was empty.

5. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott reierson View Post
    I did way to much research on this not to long ago. Some of the stuff in the Hot Rod catalogs are private Labeled AGMS by DEKA/East Penn.

The guys I spoke to using new lightweight higher cost Lithium stuff works.

This summer I was at a drag boat race and saw the top off a very lightweight lithium China battery that had failed. The case size was like a Motorcycle/ATV battery. We were surprised to see that all that was in the case was this little Lithium Battery about the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes. The rest of the case was empty.
    I came across your thread after posting this. Should’ve searched first, I guess. Some good info in there.
    The power rating vs. size and weight of some of these Lithium batteries is mind-blowing. The XS one I posted a link to is 2/3 the size of a regular battery and weighs only 10 lbs, but puts out 2880 max amps.
    I figure pretty soon conventional lead/acid batteries will become extinct, like incandescent bulbs and two stroke outboards...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that some of them did not have the long storage capacity to drain from. The amp hours/reserve capacity seems to be the weak link with some.

So you get a good quick amp shot, but they don't tolerate an extended drain time if the charge system is to small and/or not regulated with the correct amp/input voltage.

Found that out.

8. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that some of them did not have the long storage capacity to drain from. The amp hours/reserve capacity seems to be the weak link with some.

So you get a good quick amp shot, but they don't tolerate an extended drain time if the charge system is to small and/or not regulated with the correct amp/input voltage.

Found that out.
    Thanks. That’s exactly what I’m worried about. Some of the Lithium batteries out there don’t even list their reserve capacity. Hell, some don’t even list anything other than “amps” without specifying whether it’s CA, CCA or max amps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIghtweight 12 VDC batteries...

Yep...Thats exactly what I see. I was amazed at the number of the smaller AGM batteries on the market that were all basically an East Penn battery with a private label.

I had to calculate advertised amp hours into reserve capacity or vice versa to get the the bottom of what some of these had. I then calculated what my engines need to live for consistent amperage and voltage supply for a base requirement. One of my ingnition systems only needs about a 3-5 primary amp draw and a minimum of 12 volts of pressure. Amazing. I also looked at engineering light weight Super capicitors to save weight. I ran into the same recharge and reserve time/amp hour issues.

On my performance boats with electric fuel pumps. 24 volt trim systems, K-plane pumps, Electric power steering etc, this becomes an issue.
    Years ago, I had to calculate 12V boat systems by adding up electrical requiremens at extended idle. I got to see why some boats just ate up AGM's to due loads. The single or dual Hi Perf engines or larger fish boat engines or kicker engine just couldn't put enough back into the battery's. So they would end up adrift.

I figured if I was in race milling area or slow no wake zone for a considerable time, How long would I have before I ran out of battery capacity at idle speed. Some drag race guys do not run charge systems. So the clocking is ticking as soon as the key is turned. So if its a little battery they can end up adrift if they have to mill around to long.

You tube has some tests of the 12V Lithium and other technologies including the attractively priced import stuff. I had to peel back all the marketing BS to get to the fundamentals. Sometimes you can't as they do not show it. It was amazing to see what is actually inside the case of these. Sometimes it ain't much. Some of these batteries are junk quickly after they discharge to low or they are pumped to full of charge voltage and short internally.
    Last edited by scott reierson; 10-28-2020 at 12:52 PM.

11. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have good luck with this one. Ride all day with a drag motor.
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...gaAn5ZEALw_wcB
    And I seen they have this also..
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-oem/atx30-hd/
    2012-2013 DSRA PRO STOCK HIGH POINTS.
    2013 DSRA SUPER STOCK HIGH POINTS.
    2014 DSRA SUPER COMP HIGH PONTS.
    2015 DSRA SUPER COMP HIGH POINTS.
    2014,15,16 ODBA SUPER STOCK WORLD CHAMP.
    2016 ODBA SUPER STOCK HIGH PIONTS.
    2017 ODBA Modified World Champ

13. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this. Great video. I looked at these also. It was just a price issue for me on my current project so I stayed with AGM,

30AH at 5.25 lbs is a game changer. I see OB drag race guys use them in multiple setups that are very satisfied.

There was a race boat here on S&F that had a three 12 VDC lithium battery system rigged in series parallel. Looked like maybe 90 available amp hours at probably less than 20 lbs.
    Last edited by scott reierson; 10-28-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcatrett View Post
    I have good luck with this one. Ride all day with a drag motor.
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...gaAn5ZEALw_wcB
    And I seen they have this also..
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-oem/atx30-hd/
    Thanks, that’s the kind of information I was looking for. Are you only using one of those or two for 24V? If so, how do you charge the second batt?
    I’ve been looking at the Antigravity batteries. The “Re-Start” feature on the 880 is nice. It’s not offered on the 970, but I’m not really worried about that, tbh. Neither of those models are offered by summit or jegs though, so I’ll have to see if how I can get one shipped internationally to me from the manufacturer.

16. Likes Tcatrett liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay has them. Charger is only 65.00 We actually use RC lipos for 24v trim. Not even one pound.
    Quote Originally Posted by CI STV View Post
    Thanks, that’s the kind of information I was looking for. Are you only using one of those or two for 24V? If so, how do you charge the second batt?
    I’ve been looking at the Antigravity batteries. The “Re-Start” feature on the 880 is nice. It’s not offered on the 970, but I’m not really worried about that, tbh. Neither of those models are offered by summit or jegs though, so I’ll have to see if how I can get one shipped internationally to me from the manufacturer.

18. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RC Lipos? Really! That is a really cool idea for weight savings. Whats does the rigging look like?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RC Lipos? Really! That is a really cool idea for weight savings. Whats does the rigging look like?
    Could not find pics. I'm rigging another drag boat this winter. We velcro them to the floor next to trim pump. Use the same RC quick connects to remove and charge. I seen us test all day and they still over 80%.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcatrett View Post
    Could not find pics. I'm rigging another drag boat this winter. We velcro them to the floor next to trim pump. Use the same RC quick connects to remove and charge. I seen us test all day and they still over 80%.
    That’s a brilliant idea. Funnily enough, I was thinking about using something like one of Nitrous Outlet’s 18V rechargeable battery bottle heater mounts and buying a couple of 18V Milwaukee batts to use as auxillary power. I’m not sure how long they will last, but if they can generate enough juice for a bottle heater, they should be able to power a trim pump, no?
    here’s what I’m talking about:
    https://nitrousoutlet.com/i-30561251...ery-mount.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tcatrett: What a great idea. I wouldn't have thought those things could take the amp load of the trim motor. Im sure the 24V capacity helps a bunch.

If you run a timer, do you use the start battery with a relay setup?, or do you run the whole trim system on the lipo's with an independent arming switch protected with a fuse or breaker to fire it up?

If I am gong to deep on your teams competitive strategy's please let me know and I'll shut up.

CI, Love that Bottle warmer thanks for posting that. I haven't run Nitrous for a long time. I remember keeping my bottles warm in spring or fall if I was going to spray. I remember having several bottles on hand full and warm if I planned to lake run all day and show off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast