Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2007 300XS clean green DFI oil leak above cavitation plate

Hi All: Noticed very slow oil leak down the sportmaster from where it bolts to the mid. Thought it was the input shaft or shift shaft seal.
    Pulled the lower, and found more clean, green oil around the water pump. It's not gear oil as I thought, cleaned lower and laid on side,
    nothing leaks.

Any ideas where this is coming from? Someone else here had a similar problem with 250XS, but it was obviously dark grey, had to be
    run through the engine already on his. I thought it might be coming from the powerhead crank seal, but the oil is clean and clear on mine.

Someone said it might be the oil pump O ring, but searching Mercury online catolog, I couldn't even find the oil pump listed in the exploded views.
    Where is the oil pump?

I see a little oil film in the bottom starboard side of the cowl pan, toward the front, but can't see where it's coming from, or see the pump.
    If it is coming from outside the power head, into the bottom of the cowl, would this be able to drip only inside the mid section? There is no
    oil dripping anywhere outside of the cowl or mid.

It's coming down the inside of the mid, then accumulating on top of the lower unit till it slowly weeps out the side.

Lastly, is this something urgent that should be fixed right away, or just a minor inconvenience? It's just enough to leave a film on the
    side of the lower, and after several days (or weeks) might be enough to make a few drops on the driveway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Someone” is probably correct about the oil pump. Based upon your description you should see an experienced mechanic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check the underside of the injection oil pump where the lines connect. Had that happen on my 2007 300xs. I just replaced the pump, but some said the oring can be replaced, but I was concerned about F-ing up the oil delivery quantity.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

4. Likes Sleek Jr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Euro I think you missed the part where he asked where the oil pump is. He can’t identify it when he was looking at it. Hence the reason I suggested he seek professional assistance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captin Hazlewood View Post
    Euro I think you missed the part where he asked where the oil pump is. He can’t identify it when he was looking at it. Hence the reason I suggested he seek professional assistance.
    Standing behind engine looking on right side mounted low in front. Also should have many hoses going to it. Yes a dealer would be best choice if he's not the most knowledgeable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300xs oil pump.jpg  
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

7. Likes Sleek Jr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's located under the starter you'll see all the oil lines. Opti oil pumps are well known for going bad. Can be easily fixed by changing an o-ring. This will be the cheapest fix mercury suggest replacing the entire pump which isn't necessary. It doesn't need immediate attention other than being wiped down once in awhile.

9. Likes Sleek Jr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a thread on BBC showing how to do the replacement o ring, however the size stated in the thread is incorrect. The correct size should be 2.5 x 36mm ID (41 mm OD). Get viton. They have them on Amazon.
    Last edited by Davidlake; 10-25-2020 at 10:21 AM.

11. Likes Sleek Jr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen, thank you all for your generous and helpful response, especially David for a posting the correct size and material type of the O-ring

The reason I couldn't find the oil pump was because I didn't have time and could only take a quick look and it's not readily visible, it's buried underneath the front of the motor

To save time I tried to find it on exploded views of the Mercury parts catalog, however looking under everything you would intuitively think would locate it, like oiling system, there is no pump shown

A trip to the dealer to get parts revealed that the oil pump is hidden under the section called "air handler"

Having worked on other carbureted v6 outboards, and dozens if not hundreds of cars and motorcycles, I would have never thought to call an intake manifold and air handler and would have never thought to list the oil pump to be part of the system of the air handler

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davidlake, how difficult and how long of a job is it, time wise? Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duro78 View Post
    It's located under the starter you'll see all the oil lines. Opti oil pumps are well known for going bad. Can be easily fixed by changing an o-ring. This will be the cheapest fix mercury suggest replacing the entire pump which isn't necessary. It doesn't need immediate attention other than being wiped down once in awhile.
    Iwould hate to see you open a basket of snakes. for a little stain on the driveway.. JM2CTS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    Iwould hate to see you open a basket of snakes. for a little stain on the driveway.. JM2CTS.
    My main concern would be if the leak indicates something wrong that could get worse and cause other problems and needs attention. If it's not a warning of a failure, then you're right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    There is a thread on BBC showing how to do the replacement o ring, however the size stated in the thread is incorrect. The correct size should be 2.5 x 36mm ID (41 mm OD). Get viton. They have them on Amazon.
    Do we know of any long term success stories from anyone who has replaced this O-ring? I seem to recall some failures shortly after attempting this repair. I do hope to hear some success stories as I need to do this, but would rather live with a small leak until I have confidence in this repair.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captin Hazlewood View Post
    Do we know of any long term success stories from anyone who has replaced this O-ring? I seem to recall some failures shortly after attempting this repair. I do hope to hear some success stories as I need to do this, but would rather live with a small leak until I have confidence in this repair.
    Ide be puttin my tools back in the box, keep the rag.