Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Offshore mid

got a Ridgeback for new build im doin. I have a buddy thats gonna take it to work and powder coat it for me . Is there any down side to powder coat vs paint? I've never had something powder coated .
    Workin on stipping it down now Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_171639.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	475576

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a regular mid I want to powdercoat, couldnt it be blasted instead of sanded, why u sanding it off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronhl View Post
    I got a regular mid I want to powdercoat, couldnt it be blasted instead of sanded, why u sanding it off
    I dont have a blaster , and its tough chit , buddy has a small one and tryin get most off i can 1st. Thats a roughing up. Ill smooth it out b4 it goes , I wish I had big machine to put it in

Just curious who all has powder coat em b4 and if it holds color better/longer?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are only running in freshwater you have plenty of options. Brackish or Salt, not so much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...looks to be first generation offshore mid. second generation ridgeback's lower mounts were simply studs...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 10-21-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    got a Ridgeback for new build im doin. I have a buddy thats gonna take it to work and powder coat it for me . Is there any down side to powder coat vs paint? I've never had something powder coated .
    Workin on stipping it down now Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_171639.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	475576
    I prefer painting because if it gets chipped you can easily touch up.....JMPO.
    You do have some guys like Bud (1Stream) on here that does a great job on PC which is very important if you decided to go that route.
    He knows the environment we use/run them in, this is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronhl View Post
    I also like to have them blasted and then primed well with good primer before painting. Just blast it with fine or medium grit not course. Lots of things can act up once bare aluminum surface is exposed either way.....Again JMPO

7. Thanks Merc 2.5 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    If you are only running in freshwater you have plenty of options. Brackish or Salt, not so much.
    Just straight up freshwater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert Please dont take what Im about to say wrong. But That Mid as pictured is not ready to be Powdercoated. It needs to be Blasted completely clean of all previous coating, Paint or what ever so the surface is etched. Sand Blasting is a NONO!!! Glass Beading is also a NONO!!! Sand is to course and Glass beading doesnt etch the surface and also leaves silica in the pours. That leads to out gassing and a less than desirable finish. I do marine environment Powdercoating all the time and theres more to it than simply Shooting it with Black Powdercoating. Unfortunately for Customers I end up redoing other shops Powdercoating jobs all the time. Especially on marine Environment applications. Mainly because they dont understand it. The other Extremely Important thing is Most Shops dont stock the proper Powder to coat for marine environment applications. All Powders are not the same. All the powders I use have been formulated and ASTME tested to withstand 2000 Hrs of Continuous salt spray. Another problem I see is thay dont know how to properly cure the powder for marine applications and it comes out to brittle which makes it subject to easy chipping etc. Powdercoating properly done should have some elasticity to it. Heres a Link to a thread I did some time back. https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...Powder+Coating
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

10. Thanks Aaronhl, CI STV, FUJIMO thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    Robert Please dont take what Im about to say wrong. But That Mid as pictured is not ready to be Powdercoated. It needs to be Blasted completely clean of all previous coating, Paint or what ever so the surface is etched. Sand Blasting is a NONO!!! Glass Beading is also a NONO!!! Sand is to course and Glass beading doesnt etch the surface and also leaves silica in the pours. That leads to out gassing and a less than desirable finish. I do marine environment Powdercoating all the time and theres more to it than simply Shooting it with Black Powdercoating. Unfortunately for Customers I end up redoing other shops Powdercoating jobs all the time. Especially on marine Environment applications. Mainly because they dont understand it. The other Extremely Important thing is Most Shops dont stock the proper Powder to coat for marine environment applications. All Powders are not the same. All the powders I use have been formulated and ASTME tested to withstand 2000 Hrs of Continuous salt spray. Heres a Link to a thread I did some time back. https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...Powder+Coating
    I sure do appreciate it bud. What I was doin here was just trgin get the most part done , I know i gotta take it sumwere to have it blasted to finish everything up. Ill call my buddy today and see if he can give me some info on the powder they use , also main reason I was leaning this direction , I been helping him alot with his boat and he was gonna pc. I dont know nothin bout it , but who ever does it its gotta b right.

Well crap. Gonna fill him out today and I'll get back with you on this bud. Sure do appreciate the info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help Robert!! I edited my Post to include information about Properly curing Powder for marine environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    I sure do appreciate it bud. What I was doin here was just trgin get the most part done , I know i gotta take it sumwere to have it blasted to finish everything up. Ill call my buddy today and see if he can give me some info on the powder they use , also main reason I was leaning this direction , I been helping him alot with his boat and he was gonna pc. I dont know nothin bout it , but who ever does it its gotta b right.

Well crap. Gonna fill him out today and I'll get back with you on this bud. Sure do appreciate the info.

DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

13. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...everything hstream said is right on. all powdercoaters are not the same. proper knowledge of prep is a big part of pc. just the correct PSI alone for different blasting medias is critical & most don't have a clue. i've spent tens of thousands of dollars on pc, anodizing, chroming, etc... for the saltwater marine envirement & there is definately a lot to know in doing it properly. yes, the old standby of correctly prepping, epoxy priming & painting always works well. no issues at all, in fresh or salt if the painter knows what he is doing.

15. Thanks HStream1 thanked for this post
    Likes tux974, Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    Glad to help Robert!! I edited my Post to include information about Properly curing Powder for marine environments.
    So since my buddy is trying help me out for free , I figure we gonna try it and if it all goes bad then ill blast it back off , its a high temp pc .and a fresh water rig So I really got nothing to loose , if it does go bad then ill just send the thing to you . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201109-163934_Messages.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	476898

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...if you have made up your mind on this, then give him a couple other parts too, like the adapter, etc...while your at it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya mean like the 20" off Shore I did for a Customer last year?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter plate a.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	476909 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 in Offshore a.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	476910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 in Offshore b.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	476911

Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...if you have made up your mind on this, then give him a couple other parts too, like the adapter, etc...while your at it...

19. Thanks phillnjack thanked for this post
    Likes Noah Burns, phillnjack liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...bingo...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast