Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    Of course, they have to justify its existence, you dont have a efi weed eater, shame on you. When the big E.M.P.comes, ill wave as i go bye...lol.
    ...ah, a fellow dark angel fan...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know its more than a possibility. The system is all ready in place. When it comes down, I hope my MRE,s & beef jerky will keep me going. oh, carbs wont help, thell be no SPARK. My whaler has oar locks, i can row..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    What next, efi for your lawnmower and weed wacker?
    If the "green new deal" is implemented .....

4. Likes KIRCHNER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    In Mercs defense the 9.9 Zuki is really a de-tuned 20hp. So if Merc wanted to they could release a detuned 20 and call it a 9.9 as well. Merc has EFI down to 15hp which is lower than any other manufacture (Suzuki aside). The efi motors are nice, I see a lot of them around here. Easy starting, no choke etc. Easy for the wife/kids to go out and put around/fish. All those motors have batteryless EFI so you don't need to lug a 12V around.

EDIT: I guess I missed the Touhatu part of the thread. But if they have a 9.9 out, GARUNTEED Merc will be dropping a 9.9 soon. The Touhatsu/Merc 15 & 20 are the same motor, Merc just has the nicer tiller handle (BY FAR the nicest handle on a small motor out there)

Are you sure about that? I looked at Mercs website for the 15 hp EFI and it has an alternator spec listed. Why is there an alternator if there is no battery?

Just wondering. I think it would be cool if someone were able to make an EFI system that did not need a battery. Between the electronics to run the computer, and then the fuel pump, I just wonder how they could pull it off?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E-tec doesnt need a battery as their 15hp proved years ago

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 13 or 14, took off school to go boating, all set, dead battery. found a mower pull cord. i was wimpy 120 lbs. buddy bet me 2$ i couldnt pull it. v4 evinrude 90. stand back 2 pulls and ill take that 2 bucks. EFI? whats that?? i could almost fit in the cowl.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    E-tec doesnt need a battery as their 15hp proved years ago

Again, on the Evinrude website it lists a spec for an alternator.

Do you have a link to an EFI that does not need a battery? I really am curious to see it? Thanks!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 13 or 14, took off school to go boating, all set, dead battery. found a mower pull cord. i was wimpy 120 lbs. buddy bet me 2$ i couldnt pull it. v4 evinrude 90. stand back 2 pulls and ill take that 2 bucks. EFI? whats that?? i could almost fit in the cowl.
    In my late teens a buddy had an inline 6 115 that we pull started a couple of times. Everybody up in the front of the boat except the guy pullin so nobody gets hit by the rope. I was pullin once and my buddy Tommy was not paying attention and that rope left a welt across his back!!!!! Looked, and sounded like it hurt!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Minnow View Post
    In my late teens a buddy had an inline 6 115 that we pull started a couple of times. Everybody up in the front of the boat except the guy pullin so nobody gets hit by the rope. I was pullin once and my buddy Tommy was not paying attention and that rope left a welt across his back!!!!! Looked, and sounded like it hurt!!!
    Yeah, that knot on the end really smarts! get down and cover your face lol my 90 had a magneto and push-button F N R. no cable, lever, way ahead of its time, shift-by- wire, select-0-shift 1969>maybe?? even had a bullet gear case, stock. 50 years ago.
    Last edited by KIRCHNER; 10-21-2020 at 07:38 PM.

11. Likes SS Minnow, 99fxst99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that knot on the end really smarts! get down and cover your face lol my 90 had a magneto and push-button F N R. no cable, lever, way ahead of its time, shift-by- wire, select-0-shift 1969>maybe?? even had a bullet gear case, stock. 50 years ago.
    My grandfather had a similar motor back in the 70's. Not sure the year of the motor, but it was a 65 hp Evinrude. One year he was a little late to winterize the lower unit and it cracked. He was so mad about it he gave it to the neighbor and bought a 60 Chrysler with a dual ignition system. That motor never ran right and was also given away, I forget how long ago. But that Evinrude the neighbor has, it still is being used to this day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, on the Evinrude website it lists a spec for an alternator.

Do you have a link to an EFI that does not need a battery? I really am curious to see it? Thanks!!
    E-tec like cd outboard ignition dont need a battery.
    They throw in an alternator so you can have electric start etc.
    Lots of the small japs engines are now battery less efi.
    https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/n...ry-less-445914

14. Thanks SS Minnow thanked for this post
    Likes SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a little off topic but arctic cat snowmobiles had Suzuki engines with "batteryless efi" in the late 90s.....maybe as early as 96 or 97. I was sceptical even as a teenager at the time, but was big into sleds. They advertised one pull to charge the coils and one more pull of the rope to start the engine. I was awestruck to see it work on a 20 below zero day..... and a little disappointed that it worked as I have always been a polaris guy. They ran that system for years, almost every cat sled 600 cc and up was efi from the early 2000s on up. I will say my carbed polaris 500 ate up more than one 500 and 600 cc cat back then, but I took the time to learn clutching and that is a topic for another thread.

16. Thanks SS Minnow thanked for this post
    Likes SS Minnow, Instigator, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can`t believe this came up as I worked on a guys 1962 V-4 electric shift 75hp Johnson the other day. Down draft carb problems. I didn`t know they came out that early with elect shift. My first boats was a Kona w/100hp elect shift Evinrude.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure about that? I looked at Mercs website for the 15 hp EFI and it has an alternator spec listed. Why is there an alternator if there is no battery?

Just wondering. I think it would be cool if someone were able to make an EFI system that did not need a battery. Between the electronics to run the computer, and then the fuel pump, I just wonder how they could pull it off?

100% Those small motors have batteryless EFI. I'm not sure if all of the Mercs have the charging system built in, just not hooked up for battery charging or not, or if there is a charge coil that they remove on those models. Pretty common in the small stuff actually. Merc does a pretty poor job of explaining the differences in their motors IMO. They list specs for 1 or 2 models, when they have multiple variations of each.

EDIT: Ill see if I can get a video of one in action a little later.
    Last edited by InjectorService; 10-22-2020 at 09:03 AM.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

19. Thanks SS Minnow thanked for this post
    Likes SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    I can`t believe this came up as I worked on a guys 1962 V-4 electric shift 75hp Johnson the other day. Down draft carb problems. I didn`t know they came out that early with elect shift. My first boats was a Kona w/100hp elect shift Evinrude.
    The 90 had side draft 4 bbl. the push button shift was soooo coooool. it used a electro-magnetic coil that gripped a knerled shaft. it was 25-1 oil/gas back then. merc top gun was the 80
    Last edited by KIRCHNER; 10-22-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast