Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300XS Air Compressor Overheat - Next Steps

Good morning everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker and usually find everything I need searching these threads. Thank you all for taking the time to post, it's certainly kept me on the water multiple times.

A series of unfortunate circumstances over the weekend led me to run my 2007 300XS (~ 200 hours) on plane for about 4 minutes with compressor overtemp alarm on, followed by an hour of running at idle (no alarm) with no cooling water through the compressor. I know root cause is sand/shells ingestion. All the time, cylinder temp was on the low side (115F) due to shell in the thermostats (that has happened a few times already so I recognize that symptom).

I will flush the engine completely, I've read good posts on what to do, and plan to replace the water pump. Question is, what should I do with the compressor? On the hose, it runs perfectly at idle with no strange noises. Should I replace, rebuild, or just keep running it?

Many thanks, Randy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get an inexpensive fuel psi tester at the parts store. Connect it to the air psi schrader port on the rear of the engine. Run the motor and check air psi. Grey injectors should have apx 95 psi, black and blue apx 80 psi. I'd do these tests at 3500 rpm or higher to make sure you have enough supply volume. hf...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remove the head and check for cylinder scoring, but going to guess should be OK once flushed.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fuel / air pressure tests as mentioned above are a good starting point. That being said I have seen compressors build proper pressure but still have scoring on the cylinder walls. I would pull either the head, or the crank cap and check for filings, scoring etc. Also pull the strainer in the port side of the motor that feeds water to the compressor. Cleaning that strainer should be regular maintenance.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated. I recently checked the pressures on the fuel rails so this will be a good before/after comparison. Once I do that test I'll pull it off and check for internal damage.

I was trying to keep my original post short. I actually did clean that strainer between running it on Saturday and Sunday, but on Sunday it clogged up again so clearly there was enough shell remaining to clog things up s second time. I ran it on the hose briefly (few seconds) with the strainer removed altogether and all sorts of nasty came out of the port before it went clear and then I re-assembled the compressor cooling circuit. More work to do there!

Randy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another cause is there are particles (large sand, small pebbles) small enough to easily go through the OEM strainer, but will plug the "pee hole" and block
    the compressor cooling water from exiting, causing compressor to overheat. Especially beaching a sportmaster while motor running, can suck up sand.

To avoid plugging the weep hole, I put a a high flow strainer on the exit hose to the hole, with clear housing. Something I think the factory should
    have done, as it's very easy to plug this hole.

I know what you mean about the stats... the same size sand and pebbles that plug the weep hole and overheat the compressor can cause the stats to stick open and the motor
    never reaches operating temp, so the stats never get warm enough to open more and release the sand.