Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for boat plans

Gentlemen, I am looking for some boat plans. I plan on building a boat for myself. The carpentry is not an issue. I know about Glen L for their boats. I have 3 of their boats in mind. I am open to a tunnel ,hydro or a mod v. Its needs to be in the 15- 19 ft range. My motor choices range from 135 inline 4 to v6 power. But style will decide the motor. I just dont want to get into one particular design and there was other designs out there that I didnt know about. The boat cant be a single seater. It needs to be enjoyed by others at the same time.........center drive ok.

I did find some plans somewhere, but they were scanned from old mags and were not very readable.

I figured that this was the proper place to ask these questions. If not, I apologize in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll start,
    Lars keeps posting great pics of the Velden tunnels, was wondering about plans for that one.
    https://www.screamandfly.com/attachm...0&d=1599750608
    Last edited by FMP; 09-27-2020 at 02:56 PM.

3. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Draw your own design...Break free of the mold and explore.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

5. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the " book "
    http://www.aeromarineresearch.com/

Bill Edwards is another with his own/partner , E&T.
    Plenty of video of his with the stacker.
    Hauls pretty good!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=oYR7LFPQHME
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9DJ3Gif5KE
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okdLzrcZ-rw
    Last edited by FMP; 09-27-2020 at 06:48 PM.

7. Likes Jimboat liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clark Craft has some great, older designs too.

A lot of them are race/oriented/built than the Glen-Ls that were aimed more for the beginner.
    I have built several of both.

That being said, Glen-L does better at the recreational side and I remember a couple of vees in the 16’ -18’ range that would work.

Remember too, just cuz they show it as a jet/IO, don’t mean it has to be one ��

Designing one yourself although, sounds/is fun, if your miss the mark, then what do you do?

I burned one and cut another into pieces so it’d fit in a dumpster.
    Last I bought 5 ply, 7mm Okume Marine plywood (3-4 yrs ago) it was about $150 per sheet delivered.

You can do the math on your idea being off.
    Not for the faint of heart ��
    Last edited by Instigator; 09-28-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

9. Likes David - WI, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Find a hull that you like w/o too many complex curves and do some measuring, it's not rocket science. A"skiff "type hull is easy to build and power. A vee hull is a little more complicated. A tunnel is more difficult yet to get right. Depends on what you are trying to achieve performance wise.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

11. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    You need the " book "
    http://www.aeromarineresearch.com/

Bill Edwards is another with his own/partner , E&T.
    Plenty of video of his with the stacker.
    Hauls pretty good!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=oYR7LFPQHME
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9DJ3Gif5KE
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okdLzrcZ-rw
    I agree with Jim Russels Book or downloads. He is a wealth of knowledge! he helped me when I designed and built mine years ago.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

13. Likes Instigator, Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great input from everyone. Right now, here's what I do know..........

1) exterior is gonna be mahogany. Its not too expensive. I know a supplier where I can get it for 5 buck a board foot. The stringers and everything visible inside.........mahogany. I will use ply where I can get away with it and not be seen.

2) the exterior(at a minumum) will be covered in 2oz surfboard cloth to give an extra measure of waterproof and let the wood show through. I would go 4 oz if someone can say that the wood will show completely through, but I have my doubts. I have done 2oz before and you cant even tell there's glass put down. I may extend that into the cockpit as well......that remains to be seen.

3) my goal is to have a 70+mph boat. I dont need it to do 80 or anything. I am ok with 75. I had a 69 mph Ranger a few years ago(restoration) and sold it. I disregarded the 150 max hp and threw on my 235 that I built. Thats where I found out about the sound of v6 crossflow above 6000rpm.

So, now, I would be completely satisfied with a homebuilt boat that runs 75 and looks vintage. I dont think I am shooting too big. But if it went faster, it wouldnt hurt my feelings either

4) my thought was to skin the hull with 1/4" ply to get the foundation for the wood put down. That would enable me to get the plywood to follow the curves without too much difficulty. Then I am undecided as to put another layer of marine mahogany(ply) on after that 1/4" or even 3/8". These are the unknowns right now just because I have never done it. The carpentry is the easy part. Cabinetry and furniture making is another hobby of mine(sometimes you have too many hobbies). The boat is just a big, fine piece of furniture. Maybe all the furniture I restored and built for my boss over the last year or two has been prepping me for the next step.........build a boat.

I had a 1981 checkmate lined up a couple of weeks ago for beans......700 for boat and trailer. The trailer was newer. But, I didnt feel right about it. I have been telling myself(for years now), I want to build my speed boat. And I dont know if I would be happy if I just replaced stringers and a transom on somebody else's boat . You gotta scratch that itch sometimes.

5) all holes in the interior wood from screwing will be counter bored and plugged so no evidence of screws were there.

6) it must seat at least 2....solo seat.......nope. But if I had to say.........4 would be best. Maybe a capt chair in front(center steer) and a bench in back. But thats way down the road.

7) I had been thinking about a vee or skiff and modding it a little to have a pad on the bottom for lift.........width and length? dunno.
    Last edited by keefallan; 09-28-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If using plywood for skin, Use Okume.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

16. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
    Great input from everyone. Right now, here's what I do know..........

1) exterior is gonna be mahogany. Its not too expensive. I know a supplier where I can get it for 5 buck a board foot. The stringers and everything visible inside.........mahogany. I will use ply where I can get away with it and not be seen.

2) the exterior(at a minumum) will be covered in 2oz surfboard cloth to give an extra measure of waterproof and let the wood show through. I would go 4 oz if someone can say that the wood will show completely through, but I have my doubts. I have done 2oz before and you cant even tell there's glass put down. I may extend that into the cockpit as well......that remains to be seen.

3) my goal is to have a 70+mph boat. I dont need it to do 80 or anything. I am ok with 75. I had a 69 mph Ranger a few years ago(restoration) and sold it. I disregarded the 150 max hp and threw on my 235 that I built. Thats where I found out about the sound of v6 crossflow above 6000rpm.

So, now, I would be completely satisfied with a homebuilt boat that runs 75 and looks vintage. I dont think I am shooting too big. But if it went faster, it wouldnt hurt my feelings either

4) my thought was to skin the hull with 1/4" ply to get the foundation for the wood put down. That would enable me to get the plywood to follow the curves without too much difficulty. Then I am undecided as to put another layer of marine mahogany(ply) on after that 1/4" or even 3/8". These are the unknowns right now just because I have never done it. The carpentry is the easy part. Cabinetry and furniture making is another hobby of mine(sometimes you have too many hobbies). The boat is just a big, fine piece of furniture. Maybe all the furniture I restored and built for my boss over the last year or two has been prepping me for the next step.........build a boat.

I had a 1981 checkmate lined up a couple of weeks ago for beans......700 for boat and trailer. The trailer was newer. But, I didnt feel right about it. I have been telling myself(for years now), I want to build my speed boat. And I dont know if I would be happy if I just replaced stringers and a transom on somebody else's boat . You gotta scratch that itch sometimes.

5) all holes in the interior wood from screwing will be counter bored and plugged so no evidence of screws were there.

6) it must seat at least 2....solo seat.......nope. But if I had to say.........4 would be best. Maybe a capt chair in front(center steer) and a bench in back. But thats way down the road.

7) I had been thinking about a vee or skiff and modding it a little to have a pad on the bottom for lift.........width and length? dunno.
    Hi,
    I am currently about to finish my 15 ft Vee-bottomed racing runabout replica (my fourth self-designed race-boat build, in frame, side planking on).
    For materials choice, sizing, fasteners etc. (called scantlings), I recommend you get yourself:

"The Elements of Boat Strength, for Builders,designers and Owners" by renowned nautical architect Dave Gerr. (McGraw-Hill, available from Wooden Boat Shop and other suppliers of things nautical.
    Checked my design with his formulae and recommendations and found bottom planking thickness lacking. The maths are easy and can be applied to any shape/speed range, due to a great formula/tables approach developed by the author. Only limited applicability for catamarans/hydros.
    Good way to avoid later disappointments.

Good luck and lots of patience - not too much, because the cost of wood, epoxy, and fasteners is reaching astronomical proportions.

Wolfgang (South Africa)
    Last edited by wolfgangb; 09-29-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: length is actually 15ft not 16ft

18. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, keefallan liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’ll pull out my catalogs and shoot pics of the ones I’m thinking of.

Mahogany stringers, ribs etc will make it very heavy.
    Boat racers use Spruce but it’s basically unobtanium these days. Almost same strength and 1/2 weight.

I built this a couple hrs back as dinghy for a cruiser we had and gave up on Spruce and used clear white pine.

If the design is good, and you get 100% glue contact on your joints, the wood won’t be a fail point.

For what you’re talking about for power, an older 15’ - 16’ Checkmate, Baja, Hydrostream would be a hoot!
    30 yrs ago, I restored a ‘1969 16’ Checkmate and hung a ‘70’s vintage 140 OMC.
    It Ran 60 and was one of the most fun boats to drive I ever owned.

With set up/props would have run 70.
    But as is/was, it ran 60 and would pull me up on a slalom w/3 adults aboard!
    Lets see that on a fly weight 70 mph boat.

Was perfectly balanced which for me, with 40 or so (???) boats under my keel, is a very, very rare thing.

Find one and do it up as a period correct race boat.
    Will stop everyone in their tracks at every ramp you go to.

Been planning one forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1D5F674E-892E-472B-BDF6-7720EC49384A.jpg   B9892EDA-619C-4B8A-8C24-D3E8FC239A06.jpg   FD38F23D-24DF-4A2B-B7D2-450E5B4104AF.jpg  
    Last edited by Instigator; 09-29-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

20. Likes Jimboat, keefallan, XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spruce must really be light. I have used a decent amount of Mahogany in my woodworking projects and considered it a middleweight wood. Its much lighter than oak or maple and even walnut. I also liked it for the nostalgia of it and it being rot proof. But I will have to look into actual weights now and see what i can use if I go with something else. I have a Chrysler 135 that is in amazing shape(needs motor work right now) that would look right on an old wood boat, not my big bore 175 with metallic blue paint and xp175 decals all over it. Maybe I need to build two......a small racer for the 135 and a larger 18 footer for the v6 stuff. hmmmmmmmmmmm. nah, way too many things going on, but maybe

nice dinghy btw!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangb View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently about to finish my 15 ft Vee-bottomed racing runabout replica (my fourth self-designed race-boat build, in frame, side planking on).
    For materials choice, sizing, fasteners etc. (called scantlings), I recommend you get yourself:

"The Elements of Boat Strength, for Builders,designers and Owners" by renowned nautical architect Dave Gerr. (McGraw-Hill, available from Wooden Boat Shop and other suppliers of things nautical.
    Checked my design with his formulae and recommendations and found bottom planking thickness lacking. The maths are easy and can be applied to any shape/speed range, due to a great formula/tables approach developed by the author. Only limited applicability for catamarans/hydros.
    Good way to avoid later disappointments.

Good luck and lots of patience - not too much, because the cost of wood, epoxy, and fasteners is reaching astronomical proportions.

Wolfgang (South Africa)
    Wolfgang, post some pics here........love to see it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24. Likes Instigator, keefallan liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought of those too but, smaller and single seaters.

Could mod the decks for inline seating but might be pushing the size for weight/power of motors.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_bloke View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast