Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossflow 110 1986 mods

Hi team, Long time lurker first time poster. Have been trawling old posts learning as much as one can on upgrading modding v4 crossflows.
    Looking to turn the 110 140+, as much as one can without getting too silly. SN J110TLCDC
    Engine is already fitted with bubbleback.
    So far have noted reeds, 1 3/8 carbs, intake stuffers, high compression heads for "bolt on" parts. and then porting and bubble back rib cut beyond that.
    Then sourcing a v6 to open up prop selection to 15spline, possibly blocking off top hole if water pressure becomes an issue...

Currently have access to a blown '78 140 with HC heads, but the owner is proving difficult to understand exactly what the carbs may be as to whether i will want them or not.

Any direction as to whether i am on the right track, and what other goodies could be in the blown '78 that would be worth grabbing.
    Also if anyone has a reference to part numbers for the intake stuffers that would be a great help!

Oh, motor will be used mainly for racing, and in off season possibly some "social" work, but the focus is on racing.
    Last edited by slowracer; 09-26-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what fuel will you run in it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    98RON pump gas, is as high octane available readily where i'm from

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the 9 pages article?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which pistons?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 93 pump gas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowracer View Post
    98RON pump gas, is as high octane available readily where i'm from
    Ok so you can run the 73 135 heads
    IMHO I prefer the 1 5/16 carbs as some models are 3 jet so you get better control of the fuel curve and deceleration is when a v4 on the edge detonates
    fitch reeds or go with CCM modded cages and reeds
    Custom fit the bypass covers so the ports line up with them.
    If you will be grinding on the block add the finger ports for the deflector

8. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    Which pistons?
    Currently, haven't pulled heads yet, it's literally sat on the bench waiting for strip. Working on the hull currently as wanted to have a good concept in mind before setting off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Ok so you can run the 73 135 heads
    IMHO I prefer the 1 5/16 carbs as some models are 3 jet so you get better control of the fuel curve and deceleration is when a v4 on the edge detonates
    fitch reeds or go with CCM modded cages and reeds
    Custom fit the bypass covers so the ports line up with them.
    If you will be grinding on the block add the finger ports for the deflector
    I'd never heard anyone suggest the FITCH reeds! They are a dime a dozen over here as the Fitch's seem to become scrap fairly quick whereas the old v4's just keep running.
    Will have to keep my eye out for a set of heads as you have dated, were the stock heads on a '78 140 also not HC heads?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Do you have the 9 pages article?
    Lakefever - i read it a month or so back after trawling the forum but cannot find the link again now - my fault for not saving it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13. Thanks slowracer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check for the squared off ficht reeds they have more area.
    Heads changed since the high comp ones used on the 135 and slowly had reduced comp over the years.
    Head casting numbers are the actual part numbers so easy to identify.
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-26-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Check for the squared off ficht reeds they have more area.
    Heads changed since the high comp ones used on the 135 and slowly had reduced comp over the years.
    Head casting numbers are the actuam part numbers so easy to identify.
    Starting to see ways of creating reliability even within modding. Even just a set of Ficht's to get things turning and can look aftermarket if im not satisfied form there.
    Finding a set of 135 heads in Australia will prove to be a bit of fun, so the question is, exactly how much extra compression and top end will they bring over the 140's i have available. I will also go and grab the Head casting number off the supposed '78 140 heads to check as well

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 135 heads are good heads but so are the 140 heads. I use the 135 heads in my 115. But they dont have coil mounts either. You will have to fab some up or get the 135 coil bracket for the top of the motor. They are comparable in compression numbers but the 135 will make a few more. Its not a huge difference like putting on the stock heads of a 110(100 psi), 115, 112,88 or 90 heads(120 psi) and 140 heads(140 psi).

If you want the most compression, go with the 135 heads. FMP asked about what piston......here's why.......they make more compression. Evrytime I have compared them to a stock cast piston, I have seen at least 5lbs better. I have seen that in a complete v6 powerhead one time, but I didnt have the comparative cast piston power head right next to it at the time to make a definitive answer. If I had 2 powerheads side by side, built the same, but with different pistons, then I could answer definitively. I have a bastard powerhead....running right now, that has a single wiseco in it......long story. Its .064 over. The others are stock. Again.......long story. Terrible machinist......nuff said. I see 145 in the other holes and that hole I see 160. Is that dramatic difference because the piston is that much bigger and moving more air......probably a large part. But I dont think that its the whole story either. I think the wiseco just makes a little more compression. Yes, you may have to take into account for piston movement(expansion), but I am gonna use them on a Chrysler crossflow I just obtained. I have always bought WSM kits, so I never had the opportunity to do wisecos and keep my costs down. Just my two cents. I use cast pistons as well. But I am going to put in wisecos to see for myself.....once and for all.........that they do in fact increase compression by 5 points or more.

I also agree with Powerabout, that the 1-5/16 is a good carb to go with. Thats what I use. The 1-3/8" are a unicorn for the v4's hard to find.

The 1985 115 had 140 heads as well...........going by the numbers. I just found that out the other day.

17. Thanks Fuzzbutt thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
    The 135 heads are good heads but so are the 140 heads. I use the 135 heads in my 115. But they dont have coil mounts either. You will have to fab some up or get the 135 coil bracket for the top of the motor. They are comparable in compression numbers but the 135 will make a few more. Its not a huge difference like putting on the stock heads of a 110(100 psi), 115, 112,88 or 90 heads(120 psi) and 140 heads(140 psi).

If you want the most compression, go with the 135 heads. FMP asked about what piston......here's why.......they make more compression. Evrytime I have compared them to a stock cast piston, I have seen at least 5lbs better. I have seen that in a complete v6 powerhead one time, but I didnt have the comparative cast piston power head right next to it at the time to make a definitive answer. If I had 2 powerheads side by side, built the same, but with different pistons, then I could answer definitively. I have a bastard powerhead....running right now, that has a single wiseco in it......long story. Its .064 over. The others are stock. Again.......long story. Terrible machinist......nuff said. I see 145 in the other holes and that hole I see 160. Is that dramatic difference because the piston is that much bigger and moving more air......probably a large part. But I dont think that its the whole story either. I think the wiseco just makes a little more compression. Yes, you may have to take into account for piston movement(expansion), but I am gonna use them on a Chrysler crossflow I just obtained. I have always bought WSM kits, so I never had the opportunity to do wisecos and keep my costs down. Just my two cents. I use cast pistons as well. But I am going to put in wisecos to see for myself.....once and for all.........that they do in fact increase compression by 5 points or more.

I also agree with Powerabout, that the 1-5/16 is a good carb to go with. Thats what I use. The 1-3/8" are a unicorn for the v4's hard to find.

The 1985 115 had 140 heads as well...........going by the numbers. I just found that out the other day.
    Thanks Keefallen, It does seem a bunch of you have been this circuit before and thats my purpose in reaching out. To take your collective learnings and apply them first time.
    I think for now i will grab what i can off the '78 140 as if nothing else will be hard to find spares down here. Keep my eyes out for some 135 heads. Just last night i confirmed the carbs are 1 3/8 so that's a bonus. Equally the 1 5/16ths shouldn't be hard to find down here and as powerabout has said the 3 jet carb could make for a 'safer motor'. Any idea what years/hps came with the 1 5/16?

And very interesting re '85 115 having the 140heads!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast