Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    OK , I give up . What EPA regulations and hardware have been used since 1970 to present have been applicable to the outboard motor. I'll wait

Where does it say , No aftermarket PCM's are allowed on any outboard from 1970 to present .. still waiting

Now I can see where Merc would cave into big gov and say : We converted to the four stroke to run cleaner emissions. If you find a new smog hog with our factory hardware .. it has to be modified and our proprietary information has been hijacked to do so .
    Now that we have ratted out a few villain's , you'll extend the date where we have to install catalytic converters on anything larger than 150 hp ... right .

But the great news is if your 300x loses a PCM . It's still available ...

#32 ) List's for "only" $2341.36 You can buy one today for "only" $2097.04

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/.../30641/7456/40

My electronic nerd friends say .. yea , it's got about $40 dollars worth of Radio Shack garb inside ... figures ..

https://wiki.neweagle.net/docs/html/...2_PS_36315.pdf
    huh?
    this thread exists because.....?
    where ya been since 2000
    https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...nition-engines
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-26-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    I meant take your engine to a emission testing lab and get it re certified

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    huh?
    this thread exists because.....?
    where ya been since 2000
    https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...nition-engines
    That's easy , driving fast **** on the street , at the race track , up and down the Indian River .

As quick as you pull up paperwork written be overeducated idiots .. Perhaps you would fit in well with the commie's in DC or Kookafornia .

Me , I'll stick with living in a free state. That's right , no taxes on income , no vehicle inspection , no exhaust emissions test ... Florida , one of the last holdouts of freedom .. !

Pardon me for not reading your commie propaganda , but again , what emissions hardware has come on outboard motors since 1970 .. still waiting ..

EGR valve ... NOPE

Low compression ... NOPE

Ex air injection pumps .. NOPE

Cardiac arrest converter plugging up the ex ... NOPE

Since the OP mentioned the 300x ..

Is the ignition all internal ... NOPE

Does it have an external eye that's halfway slotted already ... YEP

Is the fuel system easy to convert to adj fuel pressure ... YEP

Can you pour as much oil thru the motor as you want ... YEP

Does the exhaust open @ 90* ATDC ... YEP

Does that sound like a POS the ***'s @ the EPA designed ... NOPE

Americans , vote for America in November . Maybe this next term , Americans will hold the house as well ... do away with the commie rules and regulations !

*** = what limeys call cigs ..

4. Thanks bullet20vee, NICE PAIR thanked for this post
    Likes bullet20vee liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    That's easy , driving fast **** on the street , at the race track , up and down the Indian River .

As quick as you pull up paperwork written be overeducated idiots .. Perhaps you would fit in well with the commie's in DC or Kookafornia .

Me , I'll stick with living in a free state. That's right , no taxes on income , no vehicle inspection , no exhaust emissions test ... Florida , one of the last holdouts of freedom .. !

Pardon me for not reading your commie propaganda , but again , what emissions hardware has come on outboard motors since 1970 .. still waiting ..

EGR valve ... NOPE

Low compression ... NOPE

Ex air injection pumps .. NOPE

Cardiac arrest converter plugging up the ex ... NOPE

Since the OP mentioned the 300x ..

Is the ignition all internal ... NOPE

Does it have an external eye that's halfway slotted already ... YEP

Is the fuel system easy to convert to adj fuel pressure ... YEP

Can you pour as much oil thru the motor as you want ... YEP

Does the exhaust open @ 90* ATDC ... YEP

Does that sound like a POS the ***'s @ the EPA designed ... NOPE

Americans , vote for America in November . Maybe this next term , Americans will hold the house as well ... do away with the commie rules and regulations !

*** = what limeys call cigs ..
    oh my Chazie chaz buddy...
    We are talking about EPA regulation for outboards...what 1970 has to do with this I dont know?

The EPA are in the business of making emission regulations not technical specifications. ( maybe in the old days to teach the factories they needed to?)
    You are free to meet the regulations with any technology you like.
    As demonstrated by VW who had some clever technology to meet the particle spec for diesel exhaust where all other manufacturers had post combustion treatment.
    Then we found out they didnt. so huge fines.

The "commie propaganda is the law"
    As I said before where have you been since 2000 when outboards were forced to change?
    Do you think OMC rushed ficht out because they were worried about ethanol?
    Sterndrives have catcons built in now because they need to to meet the CO regs not because they just thought up a reason to charge you more?

EPA regulated Engines are tested as delivered, if you alter something covered by that years rule you have broken the law unless you can get your alteration to pass a test, its very simple.
    A few simple people who cant understand are getting lessons with fines now it seems....

Some know the rules:
    https://brucatopower.com/

Brucato Power is the leading supplier of replacement ECUs for Mercury Outboard Motors. The Brucato ACU offers 15+ fuel curves that can be customized for your EFI motor application (1988-2001).

The other thing is how come an antipodean whose country didnt have any EPA rules for outboards till 2019 is teaching an American about rules that started 20 years ago in your country?
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-27-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 k for a 300 x ecu from merc ??? if that's the case im gonna buy a new drop on 300xs powerhead and call it a day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTINJ View Post
    2 k for a 300 x ecu from merc ??? if that's the case im gonna buy a new drop on 300xs powerhead and call it a day
    The double whammy of EPA engines, when the manufacturer decides they wont sell the ECU your engine needs to be parted out unless the aftermarket steps up with a compliant EPA approved ECU?

Are you now thinking the manufacturers didnt push back too hard???
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-27-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the way around it. Blank standalone computers, then crowd sourced baseline maps? Just one more reason for me to stick with old 2.5 stuff, but this **** is getting annoying when trying to play with diesel trucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    So what's the way around it. Blank standalone computers, then crowd sourced baseline maps? Just one more reason for me to stick with old 2.5 stuff, but this **** is getting annoying when trying to play with diesel trucks.
    I think jet aircraft dont have many rules....yet?
    Not sure if a turbine gets hammered if its in a boat but I think boats are in the clear as you can install an old engine on a new hull, anyone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my Chazie chaz buddy...
    We are talking about EPA regulation for outboards...what 1970 has to do with this I dont know?

The EPA are in the business of making emission regulations not technical specifications. ( maybe in the old days to teach the factories they needed to?)
    You are free to meet the regulations with any technology you like.
    As demonstrated by VW who had some clever technology to meet the particle spec for diesel exhaust where all other manufacturers had post combustion treatment.
    Then we found out they didnt. so huge fines.

The "commie propaganda is the law"
    As I said before where have you been since 2000 when outboards were forced to change?
    Do you think OMC rushed ficht out because they were worried about ethanol?
    Sterndrives have catcons built in now because they need to to meet the CO regs not because they just thought up a reason to charge you more?

EPA regulated Engines are tested as delivered, if you alter something covered by that years rule you have broken the law unless you can get your alteration to pass a test, its very simple.
    A few simple people who cant understand are getting lessons with fines now it seems....

Some know the rules:
    https://brucatopower.com/

Brucato Power is the leading supplier of replacement ECUs for Mercury Outboard Motors. The Brucato ACU offers 15+ fuel curves that can be customized for your EFI motor application (1988-2001).

The other thing is how come an antipodean whose country didnt have any EPA rules for outboards till 2019 is teaching an American about rules that started 20 years ago in your country?
    Your wrong on the vw issue. They got busted for NOX emissions, a non greenhouse gas. A completely fake issue whose regulation sole purpose is to kill efficiency and longevity in internal combustion engines.

11. Likes Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    Your wrong on the vw issue. They got busted for NOX emissions, a non greenhouse gas. A completely fake issue whose regulation sole purpose is to kill efficiency and longevity in internal combustion engines.
    ok so NOX but its a huge polluter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentioned this before in another post
    Install a 2.5 ignition system with a brucato unit put it on your 3 liter
    If you can't go right go left!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l400 (1).jpg  

14. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was looking for the letters that I received when that fine took place "they cut dividend payments to share holders for a temporary period" and put out letters explaining the fine and its payment structure. It was 100% pollution related according to the EPA and was 100% (ECU) software related. The U.S. government almost wiped out the largest auto manufacture in the world with that fine but then it was reduce by 90% or something and still ended up being the largest fine in history. Again, we have a created a monster that rules over us. They (VW auto group) were also very close to pulling out of the U.S. market completely as we are a very small percentage of their worldwide sales--this would have hurt nobody other then we the U.S. citizens.

VW auto group is comprised of:

The E.P.A. is also the sole reason that we don't have Toyota diesels in our market. They are all over the world and considered one of the best but we can't get access.

Vote accordingly "its the only time that your input can count"

Joe

16. Thanks NICE PAIR thanked for this post
    Likes Davidlake, Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1970 was the last year of horsepower . And even then Chevrolet had to lower compression and add cubic inch's to get it . After that it was dead . 1971 cars went from 400+ hp to 150 hp , two barrels with more smog garbage added every couple of years . If the Hildabeast would have won, she would have moved the unreachable Odumbo MPG numbers even higher and moved them back to a closer mandate of application.

So power .. your dance around the answer is .. NONE Chaz .. there has been no smog garbage added to outboards ...

FICT .. What's that , short for fiction ... ???

E-tek , E-tek the sequel .. how'd that work out for them .. ehh

BTW .. your not even an American .. why are you so in love with one of the commie controlled branch's of the US gov .. ???

Maybe I'm wrong about one thing and that is .. If I buy something , it's mine . I can do with it what I want. Unless I'm harming the greater good. And even then, I am innocent until proven guilty by a jury of my peers ... It's in that "thing we say"

I had to go to the county admin building on some "code violations" . The lady put a book on her desk that was five inch's thick. I said before you even open that , I can tell you that going by that book , every building in the county ... including your house would fail on something ..
    She went into a bunch of new BS laws. When she was done ... I showed her my permit from 1989 that was stamped "typical" and signed . I turned and said , have a nice day as I got up and walked out .. She still must be pizzed ...cuz I don't get a Christmas card from her office. <--- (egg nog)

Do I want clean air and water for future generations to come . Of course , but the lefttards use this as a power grab .. and they are the worst offenders of all. Do as I say , not as I do .. Vote the scum out this November !

Putting 2.5 stuff on is going backwards. Mechanical advance , only three injector drivers .. No thanks ..

Ronnie you have the jump on us with the Bowling and Grippo tech. I read the book .. LOL Maybe it's time to revisit that project ..

I'm not sure you can buy a "new" 300xs , read up on the "reman" units from Merc ... skeeerrryyyyyy

After us old ****'s are gone , it won't matter. Kids only want to play with their telephones not wrench's ...

18. Likes Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so NOX but its a huge polluter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx
    1. NOX is naturally occurring.
    2. "Acid rain" = ......... come on you know, the thing, the stuff we spray on crops, you know , Fertilizer!
    3. Not a green house gas, never makes it high enough into the atmosphere.
    4. Low level smog only occurs in places where the winds never blow and you can smell a fart for 3 days, ie LA.
    5. The more efficient the ICE is the more NOX is produced, the exact thing to regulate if your trying to force electric cars and there accompanying infrastructure on the world.

20. Thanks NICE PAIR thanked for this post
    Likes Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boss 351 '71

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast