Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are asking about fuel consumption....right? I look at it like this. Fuel consumption goes up..........but so does power being made. There were no other changes to the motor....porting etc. So, if more air moves better, then you will have to add more fuel to compensate for it. Thats my layman way of understanding what is going on. I may be wrong in that. But, i think I have that right. Its the old..........you make the air pump more efficient thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    What does it do to the egt of the engine after coating?
    Power ol boy ,

Your reading way to into it. Lets keep it simple .. If I weld two blocks of aluminum together .. would you rather pick it up bare handed .. or with a five layer glove ?

Will the glove protect your hand until the part cools , or will heat get thru the glove till you can't hold it any longer ????

What coatings do is slow the transfer of heat , just like the glove .

Each and every engine I build gets coated . I also "arrive" at a tune up the engine want's , not what I tell it I think or demand it needs .

I have EGT and O2 sensors in my boat to help me with that.

if you would like to pay for it ... we will need two exact identical (close as possible) engines , one coated , one not . A dyno with fuel flow meter , air flow sensor , 6 egt and an O2's for each bank . A pressure angle sensor drilled and tapped into the chamber . Then you will get a pin point answer to your question.
    What I can tell you is that the hard parts can withstand a bigger window in tuning error. or better put , you can strip the fuel out and jack the timing up to where the 02's get closer to stoichiometric than I like to see them for a two stroke ..and not hurt a thing. Can ya get stupid and kill it , of course .. it's not the cure for aids or corona .. but it's a dayum good insulator ..

K Allen , I think that you will find that if your a high production shop like Uncle Bud , you would need quarts or gallons of product. I bought quarts of everything. Now I would rather buy smaller quantities , and spray (or some brush on) fresh product.
    I look at it like it's fiberglass , old resin and hardener that has been exposed to air never seems to be as good as poppin a fresh can ...
    If you speak to Jason , he will see your not a moron that can't be trusted with their product. I think the whole thing is about not supplying large quantities to unqualified people that will do a haphazardly poor job .. on many people's stuff and give them a bad name .. my over the hill azz passed the interview ..

Uncle BBQ .. you sure it was that tuner .. LOL

BTW .. Nice display ! I don't have my glasses on .. what does it say on the box directly under the water port of that cut off head ...

3. Likes HStream1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just have to contact Jason then..........and tell him I gots all me teef!! And its good to know about pot life. I understand about the resin thing. Tried usin' old stuff one time.............wow..........."I dont understand Paw..........I even put some extra MEK in there to make it kick off sooner......and its still soft 2 hours later" ...........live and learn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    Made In China its the Box you shipped my Block to me in It skared me when i first saw it.
    Should have sent my shipping dept that manatee recipe ...

Chaz = thinkin that joke turned around and bit me in the bee-hind ...

6. Likes HStream1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    I must have misunderstood one of our last conversations Charlie?? I thought your Deb was coming around to taking a liking to me especially my BBQ manatee Brisket recipe.
    Well to be honest with you , she loves us both . But either you or me will get thrown out of the house over her beloved ... Manatee .

i bought one of those "Endangered Outlaw" shirts with the Manatee on the spit , I wore it once and she cut it to ribbons and left it on my desk ...

I normally go thru the "toilet bowls" heading south and go thru "Cowpens cut" coming back north ..
    She said , that's a cool name . She must have known by the smirk I couldn't wipe off my face .. that she was going to have to know what's so funny . I said honey , that's where Henry Flagler's men hemmed up the manatee as a food source while they built the railroad to Key West ... Just no living with that girl if ya **** with her sacred cow ...
    Everybody else is smart enough not to mention them to her but you and I .... LMAO

That special exhaust tuner ... Does it look like this one , or different .. ???

8. Likes laser_ED, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I will add my 2 cents, Myself and some freinds have run them in snowmobile motors, but not outboards but I feel some of what we found will apply. From what we have seen it will give you a degree of insurance. The sled in question would e.t. and mph better in a 1000 foot run jetted as lean as possible untill it stuck a piston. Coat the pistons we could drop a few more jet sizes and found the point where it went slower without it sticking. How much leaner could we have run it because of the coating just to test the durability of the coating? Don’t know, we stopped when jetting down stopped gaining speed. One thing to note, this was a tuned Multiple exhaust 800cc twin making 160 ish hp at 8300 rpm with a 2-300 rpm power peak that moves with exhast Center section pipe temp, much different animal as far as jetting changes are concerned, so I am not suprised to see different results than the member who posted they jettedup. But the fact that we could run leaner jets than we could without the coating is the main takeaway that pretty much sold me on its effectiveness

also, swain tech and line2line coatings are the companies we have used, I also feel their sketches coatings are far higher quality than factory piston coatings, even wiseco coatings
    Last edited by John800; 09-21-2020 at 10:50 PM.

10. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout, FMP, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that coated exhaust systems can sometimes cause the owner to jet up as well. i remember seeing numerous times where a motor had been using plain headers and then swapped over to ceramic coated headers and had to jet up because the scavenging effect was so good from the coating, it caused the motor to run lean on the dyno. So, I think its gonna be the old factor, read your plugs or watch the egt's.

12. Likes FMP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bud , that slug was ready to start addin filler rod when ya dunked it ..
    But it was a dayum good representation of what the piston goes thru , and how well coatings protect it .. and how well it stays on ..

Coated ring lands ...
    I think people started doing the "whole side" of the piston because someone "overheated" the crown to where it expanded to the point where the area between the crown and top land started scuffing.
    Top coating would control the excess heat and expansion that goes with it , and it's a whole lot easier than tapering that area an extra degree to reduce the crown's diameter .
    The truly lazy , just spray the whole thing .. LOL Which the only detriment I see there is that since the land is such a tight inverted box , that the coating would be thin in spots and overly built up in others. With the locating pin in the way, there is no real way to rotate an old ring to burnish in the coating. Using a partial ring would tend to scratch the land . What a lot of people don't take into consideration is that the ring seats both on the bore as well as the land to provide cylinder sealing. An area that they can do more harm than good. A practice I like to refer to as "calling in an air strike on one's own position" ..

14. Likes HStream1, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys here is why you coat the ring lands. It is to coat that little bit of aluminum above the rings
    that has more wear on the exhaust side than any where else on the piston.
    You don't coat inside the lands heavy and I have never had any problems with the ring clearance.

I have never advertised what coating I use on the domes but I can assure you it works to even out
    the heat and eliminate hot spots. If you like ceramic on the domes and combustion chambers and can tune for
    it go ahead but remember that heat has to go somewhere and out the exhaust would be ideal but how much heat
    are you diverting to the rings? 30 years of doing this has taught me a little.

16. Likes RBT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bout Moly Coating ? Snake oil ? Anyone use it ? Was told my ole XR6 had it done before I had it ??? Who knows but is has run good for years maybe just luck

22R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodney, are you talking about applying DFL above the rings? My first thought is how in the world does it survive all the heat up there?

Bud, that was a great video to prove what the coatings can do.

Charlie, I am still waiting to hear back from techline. They have already approved the application. But I am in the process of getting my boss' tax I.D. sent over.......setting it up as his companies account. He's gonna use Techline stuff for their conductive coatings.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to ask you coaters.........what spray gun do you prefer? I have 3-4 hvlp guns for painting cars.....some cheap for primer and a couple nice ones for color and clears. Are they acceptable? Do I need a specific size needle?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
    I know that coated exhaust systems can sometimes cause the owner to jet up as well. i remember seeing numerous times where a motor had been using plain headers and then swapped over to ceramic coated headers and had to jet up because the scavenging effect was so good from the coating, it caused the motor to run lean on the dyno. So, I think its gonna be the old factor, read your plugs or watch the egt's.
    More happening with the V4 than just the tuner temp and exhaust gas temperature, in the "bubble" temp changes within will hurry or delay blowdown pairing arrival. Wether the interior of the chest and bubble passages are coated as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    More happening with the V4 than just the tuner temp and exhaust gas temperature, in the "bubble" temp changes within will hurry or delay blowdown pairing arrival. Wether the interior of the chest and bubble passages are coated as well.
    FMP, I am glad you brought that up. I plan on coating the filler blocks and the crazy ride in the bubble area as well......and that little block at the bottom of the block.........and the section of aluminum in the adapter above the megaphone. I actually preassembled it real quick in the bubble to see what I had to coat and what I didnt. I want a completely coated exhaust from filler blocks to tuner. Its gonna be a lot of detail work and detail sandblasting to clean up the old gook!! I am really wanting to create a scavenging exhaust system........and I know that it can only be done if every piece is coated the same. The part that isnt coated will be a heat sink(and will slow things down).......well, that's my thoughts anyways.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keef. All DFL is not the same. The coating I use on the domes is "thermally active" and if it's one temp on one side it is the same on the other. I am trying to eliminate
    hot spots/detonation and it does not burn off. Ceramics are great at shielding heat but you have a piston
    that is not round until it gets up to temp. It also has a cool intake charge of fuel and air
    running through and around it. And yes the coating I use is proprietary. Anything you do with ceramics in the exhaust will help with the chimney effect and should help with scavenging.

23. Thanks keefallan thanked for this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast