User Tag List

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less weight then my 200XS + Jackplate, even if they are fudging just a bit on weight
    I am not a good enough driver for 360 HP

2. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *yawn*

Oh look we have to build all new boats. -.-
    Eh the Euro and Emirates teams will eat this up.

4. Likes mach351 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I guess that’s the final nail in the coffin for the venerable 2.5 two-stroke then? Im thinking we will see F1H2O homologate these new fancy expensive oversized motors, which will dictate larger hulls (because I can’t see the current hulls handling the extra weight) and then all of the trickle-down benefits that us two-stroke enthusiasts now see from F1 will dwindle away. I suppose, as they say, “nothing good lasts forever”.
    The whole sealing of engine to level the playing field deal sounds very fair at first blush, but that’s the kind of corporate interest serving bull**** that kills innovation in racing, in my view. But I suppose it’s easy to dictate terms when you’re the single supplier of a commodity. But the truth is that Mercury only became great because of the very aggressive competition with OMC back in the day, as well as having the benefit of many folks outside of their ranks like Diamond provide significant enhancements like their lightweight flywheels, etc.
    This makes me wonder how companies like Powers‘ will fare, after putting so much into R&D and tooling to build parts for the 2.5, who were probably only able to do that since they sell a lot of parts to current F1H2O teams overseas?
    So, kudos to Mercury that they have achieved dominion over international outboard racing. And it’s good to see how much innovation has gone into this project to make a competitive 4-stroke racing outboard. But I hope that those who celebrate this new motor realize that this all comes at a very high price, literally.
    Now, who’s going to be the first to put one of these motors on the back of a drag hull and see how it fares with those high strung 2.5s in ODBA? Will that even be viable? Do you think mercury cares? I’m going to stick to my old 2-stroke 2.5 in the meanwhile, and watch how this plays out.

6. Likes "HITMAN", loop, MIKEF18 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Dry weight listed as 430 lb.

91 octane.

Something else cool.....lift cylinder built into the mid-section. No hydraulic jackplate needed.
    But, but, but, the 12” Champ midsection has had that neat built-in lift cylinder feature since the late 90s.
    And the dry weight of one of those motors is 275lbs. They don’t weigh any more when they’re “wet” either, lol.

8. Likes Capt.Insane-o, mach351, loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who ever has Dixon's yellow River Rocket should bolt one of these on it. Would be interesting to see if it would better the 151mph mark! I just wish these things were less butt ugly! lol

10. Likes Noah Burns liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    I sure don't see race teams in the US buying any. But the UIM teams got lots of backing.
    I agree! There hasn't been a USA built F1 tunnel built in several years. Only person I know who still has molds of any sort is Hoffman. LeeCraft? Gone Seebold? Gone GrandPrix? Gone Only outfits that can afford a $62K pricetag are the UIM folks.

12. Likes "HITMAN" liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    I sure don't see race teams in the US buying any. But the UIM teams got lots of backing.
    It is sad that we don't have a big time promoter for all forms of boat racing. I often envision making the offshore races events a true 3 day spectacle with PWC and Thundercat (inflatable) racing on Friday in a protected course that spectators could easily view. Tunnel boat racing on Saturday with SST 60 youth classes being included (in the same spectator friendly area used the day previous) then the offshore guys on Sunday as we have now. Sponsorship and exposure are the only things that can change the current status of boat racing in the U.S. and joining groups together would be the easiest way to attract real money backers and followers.

It takes a true enthusiast (on the sponsor side of things) to spend money on motorsports when there is no return proven to them Vs. other forms of advertising that have a high viewing audience. The flip side to this is that they would have a very targeted audience attending these events.

Joe

14. Likes CI STV, WavetoWave, loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really telling and heartbreaking to read an article about a "racing" engine when emissions is mentioned in the article more than any other aspect of the engine.
    Racing and the tech and innovation that came with it used to be the driver behind consumer engine tech. Now every aspect of motorsports is playing second fiddle to what comes out the fartcan. There's segments of fossil burning world that simply shouldn't need to operate with that albatross around there neck.

16. Likes MIKEF18, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    Really telling and heartbreaking to read an article about a "racing" engine when emissions is mentioned in the article more than any other aspect of the engine.
    Racing and the tech and innovation that came with it used to be the driver behind consumer engine tech. Now every aspect of motorsports is playing second fiddle to what comes out the fartcan. There's segments of fossil burning world that simply shouldn't need to operate with that albatross around there neck.
    Vote accordingly: These manufactures didn't put these laws in place "they just need to operate within them". First it was global freezing, then it was burning up, now its burning up and drowning "all of them tap into peoples fear, open their wallets, and create more limitations upon us".

Joe

18. Likes David - WI, hydroo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    I agree! There hasn't been a USA built F1 tunnel built in several years. Only person I know who still has molds of any sort is Hoffman. LeeCraft? Gone Seebold? Gone GrandPrix? Gone Only outfits that can afford a $62K pricetag are the UIM folks.
    Maybe Gary will build one? I think the Old Revolution molds and the Lamb/Caniff are still out there too. I think it is really cool that Mercury has built this engine. It is pricey but I guess what isn't anymore.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    + 60k is reasonable compared to what it takes to buy and mechanically campaign 2.5's for a race season. I could probably sell off the remaining 2.5 equipment I have for my boat and buy one...but that leads to the next thing.
    - New boats are going to have to be built or existing ones heavily modified.
    + It's greta approved
    - No more race fuel and pleasant oil aromas
    + 93 octane happy
    - I'm not so sure how these are going to like hitting the water upside down at 7000 prm
    + They do sound like something.
    + They are going to probably sell a lot of those shiny flywheels soon

It'll be interesting to see what is going to happen with whatever is left of the U.S. series.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - New boats are going to have to be built or existing ones heavily modified.
    - I'm not so sure how these are going to like hitting the water upside down at 7000 rpm

Very valid points-but imagine one on the back of a Mod-VP and the permi-smile it would mold on your face. It would be so intense pulling out of a turn or going down the river and all of the kayak people blaming the guy down the road with the fast Camero for being so loud....

Joe

22. Likes AZMIDLYF, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to see the IV live on...it would be super nice if it would bolt up to retrofit on our champ mids.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooohhhhh .. Ahhhhhhh ...

360 hp / 4.6L .. it's still asleep , just sayin

I have Sioux valve seat cuttings tools . Quickway SV2 valve machine . Valve spring Ht. mikes. Access to a flow bench any time I want ... I still think car motors are meant for cars, and boat motors are meant for boats ..

But at least someone is making 11 / 1 pistons for the porkchop .. prob have to buy a motor to be "eligible" to buy a set ...

Price ... Pppfffttttt

25. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They want them "asleep". The current F1 motors are getting pistons, rods, and a crank every 4 hours with the top team. The four stroke motor is running faster lap times and is anticipated to run for two full seasons. If this plays out, it will be a financial step forward and a way less labor intensive program for the teams that they are intended for. This is the new world of simple performance boating bleeding over into racing.

Even as "porkchops", the fourstrokes, are pushing 36 to 40 foot boats at speeds that are a dream for any twin two stroke of the same length out there and doing it on swamp fuel available at any marina. Watch from the 11:50 thru the 12:30 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VwS2ibTpz4

When you get inside a set of these things and "wake them up" it will get really exciting.

Joe

27. Thanks engineermike thanked for this post
    Likes JBS liked this post
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast