User Tag List

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Chaz, there is more to making engines than welding and honing. Even if you haven't seen it, you have to believe it.

Maybe our perspectives differ because I come from a place where we design and make engines, and you come from a place where people make their living from retirement communities, fishing tours, estate agencies and gay bars. I suppose you are never exposed to the people who have to deal with the real issues of making engines.

If I drive 35 minutes north and then west from my house, I end up in a place where they designed one of the best 2 liter 4-cyl gasoline car engines currently in the market. You may have heard about Volvo Cars.

If I instead drive about as far, north and then east, I end up in a place which is world leading in truck Diesel engines. You may have heard about Volvo Group.

If I choose to go south along the coast, it takes me a little less that two ours to arrive at a place where they get 600hp out of a 2 liter 3 cylinder. The place is called Königsegg.

Finally, if drive inland for about the same time, I'll end up with the folks who build some of the finest small engines on the planet. You may have heard of Husqvarna.

Like Mercury, all these folks need to deal with the practical matters of serially producing consistent, reliable products, and making money while doing it.

It is very different from being an estate agent.<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT
    so what your saying is the Merc v8 has a very modest output per ci and its just old technology in a new wrapper?
    Here is a new wrapper
    https://www.rotax.com/en/products/ro...850-e-tec.html

knock some power off for lack of a pipe and it still looks good as a v8

lol...
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-20-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for reference,

Kawasaki made public some details about the Kawasaki H2's engine ,. It was confirmed to be a 998 cc inline-four engine with a supercharger, producing 300 horsepower (220 kW) in the H2R racetrack-only variant, still by far the highest rated engine ever for any factory production motorcycle,[50][48][49] 50% more than its nearest competitor, the BMW S1000RR.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_H2
    Last edited by CUDA; 09-20-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    We have invented the world; WE see

3. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid a lot for this muffler , and I want it fixed .. err .. NO . I want a brand new one right now.
    Paging number # 3945627 .. yes sir , we are up to number # 394501 , we will be with you shortly.
    Bass Pro Shops .. isn't that like Wal-Mart ... Huhh , who knew that they were a authorized mercury "racing dealership" .. ????

Chaz, You obviously missed the part in my post where I stated that Mercury instructed him as to where to take the boat for warranty on the gear case. No Bass Pro Shops is not a High Perf dealer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Dry weight listed as 430 lb.

91 octane.

Something else cool.....lift cylinder built into the mid-section. No hydraulic jackplate needed.
    F1 has had hydraulic lift since the 70's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All I know it' nice stuff - I'm such a newb the nice 2 stroke is all I have been able to use but imagine a nice hull with these - its exciting guys and will easilly gain favour . Period .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't care about any of it either ... now I'll write my 500 word essay, proving the contrary ...

New stuff is always better .. unless it falls under the lemon law ..
    BTW , how many broken gear case's you got up your way .. they gotz a **** load of them from here to Miami to fix~replace . Looks like there is still a need for qualified technicians. The paper pushers have always thought of as "just a grease monkey". You know , smart enough enough to fix it , but too dumb to get paid for it .. I always liked to tell em .. When cash turns to trash ... I got a whole drawer full of fancy pen's in my tool box .. I don't think you can fit too many tools inside your pen. Sorry for ya that you wont be able to fix the farmers tractor with that pen .. Looks like you gonna starve M.F.

The question there remains : How many V-8's are broken waiting on wty repairs.. ???? Just a number thanks , no need to go into rationalization and justification .

No sir Mr. Bull , I didn't get it wrong . I tell my wife to say hello , state her name , and ASK WHO SHE IS TALKING TO , write it down , write their instructions down , follow thru , and when it turns out you were talking to the new minimum wage office flunky ... you have recourse with the paper pushers that are only concerned with their tee time , and quarterly bonuses .
    As well as the mind set of wty customer's who think the world revolves around them .. I wrote wty at bike shops for a while . I doubt that horse has changed it's spots ..

Actually , I really do like the new V-8's ...
    People (working class Americans) go to the dealer .. fall over when they get the final "out the door price" . (that would be the real number that it costs) And when they get off the floor, they usually go to a little repair shop with a good reputation to have their current engine(s) fixed or updated .

Chaz = thinking, the last thing I would want to do is, make changes to a new motor under wty that will void the wty .. and when something irrelevant to the modification breaks .. it's my fault ... Thanks , but I'll pass .
    You rotated my tires .. and now the radio doesn't work ..

The glitz and glamor of big shows .. high watt bulbs , fancy clothes , glossy brochures , a few boats with a half a dozen new motors packed in across the back, tea and crumpets to munch on and wet your whistle ... is like fazebook . People puttin on the ritz , showing only the good side of life. Few live that way because they can. Another small segment .. want to live like that because they want to be that guy , but in reality .. they are drowning in debt.
    Then there is the rest of America that is down to earth and sensible. Those are the ones that are happy to live within their means . Know a good deal when they see if .. and also know when they are getting ****** and won't be part if it.
    Asking $8.00 for a washer , or $500+ for a cobbed up bracket does little to convince me I'll get a good deal on a new motor .

Looking at another thread , you can either get a 175 horse V-6 or a 200 horse and up V-8 . Nice .. a million 17 - 18 foot Action marine hulls still around in Florida that are in good shape .. What's the choice ..
    Get the civilized 175 , go to the doctor to remove any tattoo's , dress conservatively and enjoy the idle zones .
    Buy a top heavy V-8 and get swamped by cruiser wakes .
    Survey sez ... !!! Rebuild your 2.5 and enjoy living in paradise !!!!!!

Comparing Mercury to the prancing horse ... LMAO , brother put down the kool-aid.
    Your making my side's hurt ..

Markie-Markie-Markie ,
    You stated I never saw a Mercury racing motor ... I showed you that I'm just a janitor .... I can go back and quote you if you forgot ...

Next bit of nonsense ... Markie quips :

Chaz, there is more to making engines than welding and honing. Even if you haven't seen it, you have to believe it.

Markie , your more than welcome to come show me how you repair broken blocks , build shorty mid-sections , modify lower units .. I'm always willing to learn ..

We ... ??????????????
    So your on the board of directors or a parts designer , production manager , or maybe a janitor at : Husky , Volvo or Konegseginhoffinhousen .. ????

I'll take "D-none of the above" .... as the correct answer

BTW, I live in Martin County Florida .. find one gay bar here.

What I do recall though is when I have to leave our equestrian surroundings , and venture into the concrete jungle to pick up material's and supplies . I notice that the gays are all driving Volvo's ...

8. Thanks 22R thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm.... I bet those Volvos do not have "made in china" stamped on the hoses and several electrical components yet the tag says "Made in the USA" or some bull****.

10. Likes XstreamVking, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Hmm.... I bet those Volvos do not have "made in china" stamped on the hoses and several electrical components yet the tag says "Made in the USA" or some bull****.
    Here is how they have gotten away with it ...

12. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gear cases have always been a weak point of the outboard world-go to any of our little fun runs and see how many spares are being brought in peoples trucks. I don't think that there as many down as you might think. The first 36 Doug Wright just got sold for the first time "Performance boat center has not been able to acquire another one due to filling customer request first". They recently took a 2019 450 boat on trade so Mark agreed to let the original 2017 demo boat go. Those 400s logged 10,000 hard miles on original gear cases.

During the entire shootout week, we saw one prop shaft failure on a 450 and it was up and going late that afternoon. As with any new product there are unexpected pitfalls but if you have the right dealer support things get rectified. There is a parts shortage from Mercurys mandatory Covid down time but after they and their suppliers get past the slack in the line that this caused things should be good again.

You know I have asked several dealers about how people are paying for these new center consoles and cats with 450s and I was told that less then one in ten are financed. There are tons of them out there Everglades, Boston Whaler, Edgewater, Mystic, and Solace are all in my back yard and have a 6 to 11 month waiting list on new orders. Yellow fin, Nor Tech, Cigarette, Intrepid, Sunsation, Deep Impact, Midnight Express, HCB, MTI, Gulfstream, and Scout are all backed up and scrambling to fill orders. It is mind boggling the amount of money that is out there. Go to any big boating event on either coast and you will be amazed at what you see. All of the boat manufactures listed make a 40 ft or larger product and they are all North of 700K with quad power packages.

This was from an MTI owners fun run out of Miami "count the 450s just in this little Florida run group" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9uqI4Cf9RE

Joe

14. Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The question there remains : How many V-8's are broken waiting on wty repairs.. ???? Just a number thanks , no need to go into rationalization and justification .

If you still don't get it , I'll be happy to word it differently ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, a well optioned new ford F-350 is 65k. Whole lot of components and endless r&d applied. Weighs 6k #'s. A 360 hp 500# OB engine costs the same amount of money to build?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

17. Thanks Greg G thanked for this post
    Likes Da Bull, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    So, a well optioned new ford F-350 is 65k. Whole lot of components and endless r&d applied. Weighs 6k #'s. A 360 hp 500# OB engine costs the same amount of money to build?
    Which has the better warranty?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree but they are going to sell what 50,000 super duties a year where Mercury Racing might sell 50 of these motors?

20. Likes Rigaud liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    No merc just found the market segment willing to pay more for less. Or did they create that segment thru years of propaganda and "racing"decal envy.

My favorite example of this is in home depot, the biggest floor fan they sell is always priced higher that the 2 or 3 cheapest air conditioners. I would rather sweat building my own fan. I just could never rationalize how something an order of magnitude more complex could be cheaper.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You make a good point Lake rat. I love mercs, just because I can't buy one doesn't mean that I don't admire them for what they are. The prices for all the hi hp engines are out of line IMO. ( trucks too) But the market target is wealthy people. If merc can sell stuff for a 400% profit then I say more power to them. At least people are buying American products and not yammi's.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast