Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need consistent straight properly finished bores. That might be 99% of the problem because they fit to exactly what the box says. You want a hair more clearance to feel better, fine.
    Heat cycles and 5-10hrs and good forever. More forgiving if you lean out or crap fuel, lighter too from my examples. Have seen quite a few time consuming builds get fitted with high silicone or whatever else only to burn down in two days for one reason or another. Spend the extra few bucks because they are worth it.
    Pick up a parts F5 big bore that had been used since new on a heavy CC , 4000lbs all in. Motor was fitted with early Wisecos 25+ years ago. It spent all its life on L Erie when one day a rod bolt or a cap finally worked loose and stopped a piston dead and sent a twisted rod out the side of the block. Still running it dropped 1000rpm and ran home at 4k on four.
    I tore it down to find 5 perfectly even, cross hatch still faint bores with absolutely no skirt scuffing on the pistons or bores. I could hang new rings on them and use them in another build. Those were supposed to be the bad early Wisecos, nope they're all good. Not a race 8k motor but lived through plenty of crap gas I'm sure in over two decades with 165psi. Build it right, break it in proper and warm it up before you hammer on it.
    Last edited by FMP; 09-18-2020 at 09:56 PM.

2. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    You need consistent straight properly finished bores. That might be 99% of the problem because they fit to exactly what the box says. You want a hair more clearance to feel better, fine.
    Heat cycles and 5-10hrs and good forever. More forgiving if you lean out or crap fuel, lighter too from my examples. Have seen quite a few time consuming builds get fitted with high silicone or whatever else only to burn down in two days for one reason or another. Spend the extra few bucks because they are worth it.
    Pick up a parts F5 big bore that had been used since new on a heavy CC , 4000lbs all in. Motor was fitted with early Wisecos 25+ years ago. It spent all its life on L Erie when one day a rod bolt or a cap finally worked loose and stopped a piston dead and sent a twisted rod out the side of the block. Still running it dropped 1000rpm and ran home at 4k on four.
    I tore it down to find 5 perfectly even, cross hatch still faint bores with absolutely no skirt scuffing on the pistons or bores. I could hang new rings on them and use them in another build. Those were supposed to be the bad early Wisecos, nope they're all good. Not a race 8k motor but lived through plenty of crap gas I'm sure in over two decades with 165psi. Build it right, break it in proper and warm it up before you hammer on it.
    Great story......great stuff!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3