Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oscilloscope Diagnostics

I've seen a few things on this, some recent threads regarding a hub magnet and trigger. I don't want to hash that all up again, but I am curious if any of you regularly use a scope for diagnostics. If so what are you scoping, and what setup do you have. I know there's a lot of old school guys on here that just know what they are doing and could probably rebuild a 2.5 with a monkey wrench and a bag over their head, but as the engines get more complicated and have more electronics, maybe a scope is a must have for marine techs working on newer 2 & 4 strokes?

For myself I have played with one a little bit, but my scope experience is pretty much limited to diagnosing fuel injectors and their circuitry. I have a Chinese Hantek which is OK, but was thinking of getting a Pico shortly.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hantek, depending on the model, will do what you need for testing coils and such especially if you have a dc amp probe and an inductive pick up for testing spark high tension leads. Good probes cost more than your scope. The pico is probably much nicer and more capable but unless you use it everyday, not necessary. My two cents.
    Last edited by Soporific; 09-06-2020 at 11:44 PM.

3. Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for anything pre scan tool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be that the line between a scope and some of the specialized Flukes/Fluke type meters is getting blurred. Both are good when purchased for a specific/dedicated purpose. You can spend a lot of money on the adapters/interfaces too. The worksite [bench or field] makes a difference too.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    I've been using a Fluke handheld digital oscilloscope for 22 years. Verifying scan data in real time is useful. Multiple of tests , like relative compression test, ignition coil, and injector currant ramp up, etc. Monitor, and record with a pressure transducer. Trigger coils, for glitches, and with a high resolution current clamp, look at electric fuel pump condition, and rpm, as well as trim/tilt pump. There are many more uses, also.

This place has all kinds of cool stuff. I just ordered an ignition KV probe, and some new test leads.
    https://www.aeswave.com/
    Last edited by z1rider; 09-07-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    91 Seaswirl 178 spyder sport. Evinrude XP175. (59 MPH, so far, and so close).
    85 Sleekcraft SST , 225 Johnson...(sold)

7. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z1rider View Post
    I've been using a Fluke handheld digital oscilloscope for 22 years. Verifying scan data in real time is useful. Multiple of tests , like relative compression test, ignition coil, and injector currant ramp up, etc. Monitor, and record with a pressure transducer. Trigger coils, for glitches, and with a high resolution current clamp, look at electric fuel pump condition, and rpm, as well as trim/tilt pump. There are many more uses, also.

This place has all kinds of cool stuff. I just ordered an ignition KV probe, and some new test leads.
    https://www.aeswave.com/
    Thanks for this post, and sorry for the late reply on this thread, I was out in the bush for a bit.
    What Fluke do you have, it sounds like you use it quite regularly, and depend on it heavily for diagnosing. I have definitely been to AES Wave before, although I have not purchased from them before.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    I have used some of the factory hand tools, and feel like they left a lot to be desired, especially on some hard to find intermittent problems. I think it might depend on model of motor, brand and age though.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old Fluke 105B, 100mHz lab scope. Wasn't made for the automotive tech. Way overkill. I was also doing some CNC machine work, back in the day, is why I bought it. I would probably go with a Pico, now. Some automotive scanners have scope module add-on's, also.
    91 Seaswirl 178 spyder sport. Evinrude XP175. (59 MPH, so far, and so close).
    85 Sleekcraft SST , 225 Johnson...(sold)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second what z1rider says in post #5, of course with all that testing, you have to know how to interpret the signal too. There are some good videos if anyone wants to learn.
    Last edited by Soporific; 09-17-2020 at 10:04 PM.