Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well that was some wind that blew through town

Boy did I underestimate Hurricane Laura. I was thinking it would lose energy quick because it wasn't a large Hurricane; diameter wise. The wind was howling like ya wouldn't believe. Got real bad for about 2hrs. then finally let up. I hear the winds got up to 140-150 MPH. Defiantly worse than the winds from Rita but no tornado's this time and not near as much water.
    Woke up to most of the shingles from my roof, in my front yard. A few of them were nice enough to go across the grill and hood I just painted and installed on my truck. Nothing like a 140mph piece of 20 grit sandpaper, i.e. shingle, scooting across the hood of my truck. My house has a couple of window panes broken and some water damage to my ceiling, from all the missing shingles, but nothing all that bad compared to some houses and business in town. One homes two streets away lost most of it's roof and part of it's 2nd story brick wall caved in.
    Even found one of my neighbors welcome mat in my front yard. I thought it was mine and was about to put it at my front door until I saw mine was still there. I'll post some pics I took Thursday morning.

I decided to leave on Friday but had a flat from roofing nails I picked up driving around. So many trees and limbs were down I had to move limbs just to get off my street and then another person helped me clear more limbs in my neighborhood so we could get to one of the main roads. It is bad in Lake Charles. Electric poles snapped in two all over the place. I imagine it will be up to a month before everyone has power. Hurricane Rita while a Cat 5 and larger didn't do this much damage to Lake Charles.
    I had to drive east to the town of Rayne to get my tire fixed and being that my spare tire was one of the original tires my truck came from the factory on I almost didn't make it there. Got a new spare tire too. Then after I had been on the interstate for about 30 min. my fan rubbed a hole in my trans cooler line. Luckily I was at the exit of a town that had some power. I was able to get the parts to splice the rubber hose and 3 qts. of trans fluid to top off my transmission. I found the only vacancy in town and spent the night in an air conditioned room with warm water, ahhhh. Then Sat morning I got on the road to the Big H, H-Town, Houston,Tx. and am at my brothers house over here until I can get a generator to go back home and sort through the mess.

I haven't seen any pics of the area south of me but I know it can't be good. I heard on the radio Friday the only way to get south of where I live was by boat. Those people are going to be in for a long road to recovery. And after Rita wiped out so many peoples homes in 05, south of me, I imagine quite a few of them won't rebuild.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, like anybody cares what is happening with you.

J/K. Hope all is well, or at least as close to it as you can expect. Prayers to you and your loved ones. And a kind thought for what the prayers do not cover.

3. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, most the videos I saw looked pretty bad. Looked like there had to be some spin up tornadoes in places because the damage was random. Cameron is pretty much toast again... Crazy the way it blew the windows out of the bank building.

I guess all the generators are sold out in H town? My friend from Monroe had to go to Jackson, MS to get one. Monroe and Ruston took a pretty good lick. Spin up tornadoes again. Probably going to be without power for a week. I got online and did a search on Home Depot and found him one. Hope you can find one close. Waiting to order might take a while.

5. Likes CDave, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks y'all, I appreciate the kind words and prayers.
    I finally found a generator the size I'm looking for a couple hrs. west of Houston. Gonna head west and get it then load up on fuel and prepare to head back home. Can't find generators in Houston. At least not ones I can afford right now.
    -----------------------
    -----

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

7. Likes Forkin' Crazy, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting how things are...… The fake news is not going to do follow ups.....I can't think how long it's going to take to get things going again down there. And then the shortages of building supplies. This world is getting a bass kicking. Good luck and hope you do Ok......

9. Likes CDave, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got a text from the ele. co. today. 1000 transmission tower, 6,600 broken poles, 338 miles of wire and almost 3000 transformers damaged. Requiring a near complete rebuild of the system. Est. time of 2-3 weeks before power starts to be restored.

I added the but I think they should have put that in the text too.
    -----------------------
    -----

-- John F. Kennedy 1962

11. Likes Forkin' Crazy, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Austin to get my generator. I didn't realize Austin was that long of a drive. Took me 6hrs. round trip. Then when I went to leave Home Depot I turned my key and NOTHING. Checked fuses and they were good so I turned my key and hit the bottom of my steering column and it started. If it isn't one thing it's another with this truck. I think God is telling me to get something newer than a 1995 pick-up truck.

Here's the generator I got. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40...022X/308737029
    -----------------------
    -----

-- John F. Kennedy 1962

13. Likes Forkin' Crazy, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid of that. Everyone goes nuts... Just like the bullets and guns. Nov 4rth everything will get back to normal!!! Less the wailing of the Democrats.

Put a key switch in it! If it isn't one thing, it's another! I've been fighting my 06 Dodge. Now the water pump is leaking, but at 170K, I guess it is time.

15. Likes CDave, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah , you were there talking about it as it made land and then you were gone. Then two or three days of posts went missing while the S&F swept out the corners for maintenance.
    Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency was the last I posted, insert pic of Foghorn Leghorn.

Anyway a couple more Xs on the map to watch
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paulette & Rene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't get my phone to send emails for some reason. So I can't post the pics I have.

Anyway, if you are bored and wanna know the latest on the restoration of power to SW Louisiana. ---> https://www.entergy.com/hurricanelau...ission-update/

Our restoration workforce numbers 17,000, with 16,000 in Southwest Louisiana. It includes our own employees, contractors and mutual assistance crews from other companies. As power was restored in parts of the territory, some workers have been released. The 23,200 workers originally brought in to restore service comprised the largest restoration effort we have ever mobilized.

Restoration workers from 30 states have helped restore service for our customers. Donor states include Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Thanks for lending us your workers to get us going again.

Washington and Oregon, thanks for not sending your nutty people down here. They would probably start protesting that the hurricane is racist and it's all Trumps fault anyway.
    Last edited by CDave; 09-08-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    -----------------------
    -----

-- John F. Kennedy 1962

19. Likes SS Minnow, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin TX is about a 20 hour drive from where I live, one way. Hope I never have to go there for a generator.

And just when you get back with the generator, the lights will be back on.

Hope all is as well as can be expected.

21. Likes Forkin' Crazy, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Minnow View Post
    Austin TX is about a 20 hour drive from where I live, one way. Hope I never have to go there for a generator.

And just when you get back with the generator, the lights will be back on.

Hope all is as well as can be expected.
    At least I was already in Houston,Tx. before heading to Austin. From my house in La. it's a 12hr. round trip to Austin. Interesting thing about the trip was the Home Depot was right at the exit off the highway. It was basically 10 min. of city streets and 5 hr. 50 min of highway from my brothers house to the HD in Austin and back to his house. It was literally take the off ramp, drive 100 ft. and turn right into the HD parking lot.
    If I had to do it over I think I would have rented a car or truck to do the drive. I've kinds gotten spoiled renting vehicles while I was rebuilding my truck after the wreck. I think I'm gonna be renting a car several times a year to keep the "I want a newer vehicle" bug under control. Last car I rented was a 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T. It was a fun car to drive and handles surprisingly well. But was also surprisingly loud and stiffly sprung.
    Last edited by CDave; 09-08-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    -----------------------
    -----

-- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best not to have a Trump bumper sticker or wear a MAGA hat in Austin though!!!