Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    ya have something wired wrong with switch boxes ta coils.. it only takes one.................. or timin' could be WAY, WAY, WAY off but doubt it..
    . I don’t know how far back you have read but I had no spark on cylinder#3, I replaced stator due to degraded wiring. Still had no spark on 3, switched wires from one switchbox to the other. Now I had spark on 3 but no spark on 4. Put two brand new cdi switch boxes on, have spark on all 6 cylinders now. When I replaced the switch boxes I did not return the wires to their original switchbox location, meaning when I swapped wires from one switchbox to the other and spark followed I figured to get the two new switch boxes. So a week later the new switch boxes show up, I wired them in exactly how I left off. In other words the wiring is on the opposite switchbox then before but the wires are on the correct studs. The only wires I moved were the cylinder/coil wires, I believe I left the stator wires in there original spot. Hopefully this makes sense. One other thing, the new switch boxes have a extra ground stud that I left alone, I used the black wire that is molded right into the new switchbox for the ground.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a backfire and/or poppin' is ign related and way more times than not due to a wire wrong..... do a one attta time check with all of 'em ta be sure........ jmo.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    a backfire and/or poppin' is ign related and way more times than not due to a wire wrong..... do a one attta time check with all of 'em ta be sure........ jmo.
    So I double checked the wiring, everything was correct. At this point nothing made sense anymore. Remember I said I flipped the wires from one switchbox to the other and the spark moved from cylinders 3 and 4. At that point I figured one of the switch boxes were bad and I went ahead and ordered two of them. I left the motor alone until the new boxes arrived, in other words I left the wiring flipped and that’s how I put them on the new switch boxes. Today I put the wires back to how they were before I flipped them and switched the two yellow wires around that come from the stator to the rectifier. Take the boat back to launch, start the motor and I could tell immediately something sounded better, shift motor in gear and it stays running. I look at my 11 year old boy and say “ you wanna give it a shot?” He shakes his head yes. We both get in, I idle the boat into deep enough water and stand on it, the boat launches like a rocket. We do a couple of hot laps and she runs like a raped ape again, almost seems better than before. The nightmare is over! Thanks to everyone that kept me from throwing in the towel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Jmr1974. Glad for you and your boy that you got it resolved.

Update on my situation: I finally got back to it late today, started it up with some difficulty, but once running it stayed running. I could rev it to 3000 in neutral, briefly, which was better than when she fell on her face. In any case, after a minute or two I shut it off and with my hand noticed that the starboard cylinder head was warm, and the port side not warm. Long story short - I replaced the port side switch box (pulled from old blown parts motor), and shaaZAM! We're back in business. Btw, I still have those 2 black boxes...not touching them until I need to. Huge relief. I've seen a few comments saying you should always replace both switch boxes together. I just changed the one....

Does anyone know what causes switch boxes to fail?

Thanks all for your help.
    Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
    Congratulations, Jmr1974. Glad for you and your boy that you got it resolved.

Update on my situation: I finally got back to it late today, started it up with some difficulty, but once running it stayed running. I could rev it to 3000 in neutral, briefly, which was better than when she fell on her face. In any case, after a minute or two I shut it off and with my hand noticed that the starboard cylinder head was warm, and the port side not warm. Long story short - I replaced the port side switch box (pulled from old blown parts motor), and shaaZAM! We're back in business. Btw, I still have those 2 black boxes...not touching them until I need to. Huge relief. I've seen a few comments saying you should always replace both switch boxes together. I just changed the one....

Does anyone know what causes switch boxes to fail?

Thanks all for your help.
    Mike
    my guess would be age that causes switch boxes to fail, in my case my stator wires were shot and could have contributed to the switch box problem. It took 6 pages in this thread for me to figure out my problem with lots of ?’s answered here from guys in the know, like I said to Merc2.5 I created another problem when I switched wires around. Easy screwup on my part, just happy as hell I figured it out

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6