Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    That 2nd video shows it pretty good. Hard to say but maybe have a 2nd person to pump the ball when it looses rpm or hit the choke and see if picks up or bogs down
    As much as I hate to think it, I was beginning to lean towards a fuel issue since compression and spark both seem to be OK. I rebuilt the fuel pump and carburetors when I purchased the outboard, but that doesn't always mean you get everything on the first try. There's always that little chance of a spec of junk getting into the right spot and ruining your day.

I'll try to get a buddy out on the water with me sometime later this week and work on priming the bulb. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If its starving and u hit choke that will suffice also. How bout primer bulb. How old is it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its starving and u hit choke that will suffice also. How bout primer bulb. How old is it?
    Primer bulb and fuel line are brand new OEM mercury purchased in January of this year when I first started chasing this issue. I also replaced the water separating fuel filter and the line from tank to filter at the same time.

The fuel fittings on the outboard (male and female) are both older, but the internal O-rings appeared to be in good condition when I inspected them earlier this year.

The fuel pump and carbs were rebuilt last summer when I purchased the outboard, as it had been sitting for several years. I did not replace the floats in any of the carburetors, but they appeared to be in decent shape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well its hard to say. Usually when they go up and down on rpm like urs did n 2nd video , would almost have to say a cyl cutting in and out , especially since u have bout went thru all fuel system. Did u triple check all gaskets that they went back in pump correct? If u could have someone run it wot and u put a timing light on plug wires 1 at a time and see if u loose spark on a cyl. Over computer can b tuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its hard to say. Usually when they go up and down on rpm like urs did n 2nd video , would almost have to say a cyl cutting in and out , especially since u have bout went thru all fuel system. Did u triple check all gaskets that they went back in pump correct? If u could have someone run it wot and u put a timing light on plug wires 1 at a time and see if u loose spark on a cyl. Over computer can b tuff
    A couple of weeks ago I actually did have my buddy run the boat at WOT for me while I sat in the back with a timing light. We made 6 separate WOT runs and ran until the problem occurred. Each time the timing light continued to indicate spark even when the RPM loss happened. Combining that with a clean looking spark plug on the #5 cylinder brought us to the head gasket assumption.

I haven't had the fuel pump back apart since rebuilding it the first time other than to pull the strainer cover to make sure there wasn't a giant piece of trash in the strainer.

Question: Trying to think outside of the box here, so bear with me. But would it possibly be a good idea to try running the outboard at WOT off of an external fuel tank to make sure I'm not looking at a plugged vent or plugged fuel pickup in the main fuel tank? Just trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure won't hurt nothin

7. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have a bad coil that is acting up when it gets hot.

Move the coil from cylinder 5 to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the coil.__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

9. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounded like it could have also been dropping out during acceleration. Since you say the coils and the plugs aren't damaged read them for the miss and consider new lead(s) after checking them.

11. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I think you have a bad coil that is acting up when it gets hot.

Move the coil from cylinder 5 to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the coil.__PRESENT
    Wouldn't the timing light show loss of spark if I had a coil that's going crazy when the engine gets warm? When I did the on the water test, the timing light continued flashing on all 6 cylinders even when the rpm drop occurred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 10.21.20: I am still working on troubleshooting my XR2 as I am able. I decided to pull the fuel pump today for inspection and a quick rebuild since I have a couple of extra fuel pump kits I ordered. (My XR2 uses the same it as my 200 Black Max)

As I was removing the fuel pump, I noticed the top right mounting screw was extremely loose. So loose, in fact, that the fuel pump actually tried to fall off after removing the first 4 screws. The mounting screw I'm referring to is the one to the right (Front of boat) of the fuel outlet. It's at the top end of the pump near the crankcase vent hole.

My guess is I missed tightening that screw when plumbing the fuel lines.

Question of the day.... Obviously none of the screws should be loose. But, would that one loose screw possibly give me the sudden loss of power I'm experiencing at WOT?

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3