Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who likes to smoke food

If I could I would grill or smoke sumthin every nite for supper. I have pretty nice charcoal grill i use alot. I wore out a electric smoker with glass door (forgot brand) I go thru these things like crazy well couple weeks ago ,a feller offerd me a used traeger smoker (pellet) wasn't used 3 or 4 times but guy left it outside and paint started chipping off outside of it, so I asked what he take for it and he said just want u to take it with you , ok?? So I did (wouldn't take $) so I started looking for instructions on interwebs so I didn't mess anything up . Well this damn thang cost 1150.00 new. Best electric smoker I've ever used or ate from. There's noway I would even consider buying one these things new. I didn't even know what traeger was , of course I called by buddy after I found out and begged him to take sum cabbage and he wouldn't. I guess he just didn't use it or want it like he thought he would. Woukd like to hear from others that have one or knew bout em and see what you think of em

2. Likes SS Minnow, Slough liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neighbor has one, me and another neighbor supply him with fresh fish to smoke fairly often. He did some swordfish not to long ago that was probably the best smoked food I've ever eaten.
    The whole plug it in and walk away seems to take some of the "magic" out of it, but there's no denying the delicious factor.

4. Likes SS Minnow, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    Neighbor has one, me and another neighbor supply him with fresh fish to smoke fairly often. He did some swordfish not to long ago that was probably the best smoked food I've ever eaten.
    The whole plug it in and walk away seems to take some of the "magic" out of it, but there's no denying the delicious factor.
    I like to feed the smoker also , especially with group friends having a beer and such , but sure is nice put supper on at 230 or 3 and be done by 6 it sure beats hell out-of the cheap smoker I had. This thing will cook at close to 500deg if u needed to. 1st experience with one these and it's great

6. Likes SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own 4 Weber charcoal grills and have used all of them at the same time. If you stack the charcoal right, it can be a good smoker. Have had a Prime Rib going on one grill on low heat, while using another grill for cheeseburgers, hot dogs, sausage etc. while using another grill for corn and vegetables/onions/ mushrooms, while using the last grill for shrimp and lobster. Has been a while since I have done that, but every now and again there are a bunch of people around at the lake and having multiple grills is a nice option.

Now my brother in law is a master with the smoker. Every year he is doing something new and he really nails it as far as finished results. This year he had a smoker where the brisket was hung inside of the smoker and the heat was from charcoal that was stacked around the outside of the cooker. Never seen anything like it but man, the meat was excellent.

I am lucky to have such a big family, I guess. This past 4th of July there were about 30 of us together, and that is just the immediate family. Cousins own the 2 places next door and there had to be at least another 20 people with all of them. Hence the reason why 4 grills come in handy. I never use the grill at home as I am on the 2nd floor. But when I am at the lake, I almost never use the stove unless making pancakes or mac and cheese for the little ones. Even at my shop, I grill all the time.

8. Likes MattGreen, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happens once a year at our cabin. Rest of the time we use our electrics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 885dc07d349bad748fa21e223d0dfc22.jpg   ggrriill.JPG  
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

10. Likes SS Minnow, CDave, Merc 2.5, specboatops, Slough liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...nice. date & time please.

12. Likes SS Minnow, CDave, Forkin' Crazy, Slough liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will forward date and time info as soon as it is available. Might as well plan on hanging out a couple days. We cook enough food to last a week. Back when we were having the Illinois River Runs that was the official grill/smoker. One year someone brought 100 hot dogs and another brought 50 burgers. We had them all on the grill at once.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

14. Likes SS Minnow, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...just plain a lot of fun.

16. Likes SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was trying to find a picture to show how I line up charcoal for smoking in a grill, this is pretty much how I do it. When I made the prime rib I lined the bottom of a foil pan with onion slices so the meat never touched the pan. I also had liptons french onion soup mix in pan that I kept spooning over the rib eye as it were cooking. Took about 7 hours and there were no leftovers.

18. Likes tnelsmn, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Big Green Egg, use it a few nights a week. Does everything so well, smoker and high temp grill for steaks. I like the whole process of setting up the charcoal, lighting the fire, setting temp. It's a methodical process and part of the fun for me. I will admit that the electrics and pellet smokers are a lot easier. But theres something so satisfying about building the fire before you cook something.

This is only my second season with it so theres many things still on the list that I would like to smoke.

Favorite way to do steaks is get it good and hot, 700-750 degrees and go for 2 min a side, then snuff out fire and go another 1-2 min depending on preferred doneness. I buy in on whole beefs with my brother and order a custom cut so our steaks our 1.5"+ I wouldn't go that long with thinner steaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58821690347__794FF1A3-E87E-4A13-BC06-E541BB81868D.jpg   IMG_6609.jpg   IMG_6096.jpg   IMG_6117.jpg  
    Last edited by tnelsmn; 08-12-2020 at 01:38 PM.

20. Likes Merc 2.5, SS Minnow, specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    If I could I would grill or smoke sumthin every nite for supper. I have pretty nice charcoal grill i use alot. I wore out a electric smoker with glass door (forgot brand) I go thru these things like crazy well couple weeks ago ,a feller offerd me a used traeger smoker (pellet) wasn't used 3 or 4 times but guy left it outside and paint started chipping off outside of it, so I asked what he take for it and he said just want u to take it with you , ok?? So I did (wouldn't take $) so I started looking for instructions on interwebs so I didn't mess anything up . Well this damn thang cost 1150.00 new. Best electric smoker I've ever used or ate from. There's noway I would even consider buying one these things new. I didn't even know what traeger was , of course I called by buddy after I found out and begged him to take sum cabbage and he wouldn't. I guess he just didn't use it or want it like he thought he would. Woukd like to hear from others that have one or knew bout em and see what you think of em
    If ya wanna make a trip to SW Louisiana I'll sell ya my pit for a real good price. It's made out of sheet metal, 3/16" IIRC, and can hold 2 cases of chicken. It would be easy to convert it into a smoker and you won't wear it out.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

22. Likes Merc 2.5, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Minnow View Post
    I own 4 Weber charcoal grills and have used all of them at the same time. If you stack the charcoal right, it can be a good smoker. Have had a Prime Rib going on one grill on low heat, while using another grill for cheeseburgers, hot dogs, sausage etc. while using another grill for corn and vegetables/onions/ mushrooms, while using the last grill for shrimp and lobster. Has been a while since I have done that, but every now and again there are a bunch of people around at the lake and having multiple grills is a nice option.

Now my brother in law is a master with the smoker. Every year he is doing something new and he really nails it as far as finished results. This year he had a smoker where the brisket was hung inside of the smoker and the heat was from charcoal that was stacked around the outside of the cooker. Never seen anything like it but man, the meat was excellent.

I am lucky to have such a big family, I guess. This past 4th of July there were about 30 of us together, and that is just the immediate family. Cousins own the 2 places next door and there had to be at least another 20 people with all of them. Hence the reason why 4 grills come in handy. I never use the grill at home as I am on the 2nd floor. But when I am at the lake, I almost never use the stove unless making pancakes or mac and cheese for the little ones. Even at my shop, I grill all the time.
    I have a master forge gril with adjustable rack and love it, but if I had a choice the smoked meat wins everytiime. We have had many hunting trips where we will kill and clean a deer, then build a pit from blocks and grates beside fire pit and hang out by fire and smoke/cook deer from that morning

24. Likes tnelsmn, SS Minnow, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    I have a master forge gril with adjustable rack and love it, but if I had a choice the smoked meat wins everytiime. We have had many hunting trips where we will kill and clean a deer, then build a pit from blocks and grates beside fire pit and hang out by fire and smoke/cook deer from that morning
    If I had more time, I would get a smoker. Unfortunately it is only a few, maybe three times a year I have an entire day to pay attention to a smoker. From what I have seen, it is not just a set it and forget it type of project. The prime rib I did was not too bad for keeping an eye on it. Maybe once an hour to check on it. Just rare that I have a full day to dedicate to cooking.

And just to make it official, I do not like to cook, but man, I do like to eat!!!!!!!

One of the first times I seen my brother in law smoke something was a simple block fire pit set up. It worked out really well, I was impressed. But again, he spent a bunch of the day controlling the temperature and moving things around. It was worth it in the end, but I do not have that much time in the day. While he was busy cooking, I was on the boat hauling kids on tubes and or ski's. Everybody has their place, I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be a higher end Traeger if it cost that much! Great score!

I have an old CharBroil (belonged to my Dad) that I need to have a new ash pan made. Before it rotted out, the thing was air tight, less the spit holes.

Center cut poke loin on the spit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2040060.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	471564

Poke ribs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC00004.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	471565

You could raise and lower the fire grate from 10" to about 2". So it works great for burgers, steaks etc.

Been looking at one of these though... I hate those puny casters they put on grills/smokers!

https://store.grillagrills.com/products/silverbac-at

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Grill Dome. It is very similar to a Big Green Egg - some worse (the paint flakes off) some better (all steel parts are stainless).

It is fantastic at grilling, including extremely hot sears. It does a decent job of smoking - you can basically just set it and go, but it does not allow you to get that "good smoke" that the true bbq folks get by running their smokers at WOT while limiting amount of fuel available. Instead it works by having lots of fuel available while the air flow is throttled (like a Weber).

Had it shipped from Florida about 10 years ago. While pricey compared to a Weber, it has huge capacity and the lower char coal consumption has paid back the upfront price.__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast