Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difficulty in removing drive shaft in 2.5L lower unit

What's involved in pull out the driveshaft in a 2.5 lower unit ? Special tools, etc, etc.....Thx

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove cover nut (special tool), then carrier, then shift shaft (special tool), then prop shaft, then spanner nut under water pump (special tool) and finally pinion nut. Good luck.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Remove cover nut (special tool), then carrier, then shift shaft (special tool), then prop shaft, then spanner nut under water pump (special tool) and finally pinion nut. Good luck.

Rock

Thanks Rock,

Well with 3 "SPECIAL TOOLS" involved, I'll pass......

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get the special tools on Ebay for "fairly" reasonable, compared to factory new tools.

Check youtube for lower unit videos.

Don't put any side strain on the drive shaft after you remove the carrier, especially if the shift shaft is still in.

I did mine myself. I took my time and was successful and didn't wreck anything.

91-61069 Mercury Mercruiser Bearing Carrier Retainer Wrench Tool Make sure the one you buy has the hex head for the socket wrench. Mine didn't and its no fun trying to put 250 pounds of torque on it or modifying it. It just adds to frustration.

91-31107 Mercruiser, Mercury, Alpha SEI Shift Shaft Bushing Tool

91-43506 Mercruiser Mercury Spanner Tool drive shaft retainer

91-90094 Spline Tool, Driveshaft Adapte Mercury 8 Spline, to hold the drive shaft while you loosen the pinion nut

8218871T Mercury Marine Outboard Prop & Bearing Carrier Puller I got a cheap one. It sucks and needs modification to work right. I saw a video of a guy using a tiedown strap to extract the bearing carrier.

I wouldn't vise the skeg when you are loosening the carrier retainer. I put my lower unit on the bench on it's side, and used a nylon car hauler ratchet strap to lash it down tight to the bench for leverage. The manual says 250 pounds of torque for the bearing retainer nut.

When you take the drive shaft out, the driveshaft bearing will fall apart. Make sure you have all 18 rollers. I wouldn't use regular grease when you put it back together. I got the Mercury Assembly grease and lower unit lube that supposedly does not react badly if water gets in it.

Also, those are just the tools to get it apart. You need a slide hammer to remove, and mandrels for re-installing the bearings and seals. And a bearing separator if you need to remove the reverse gear to change the bearing.

I put the bearing in the freezer, and put the carrier in the oven at 200 degrees and the bearing dropped right in without too much trouble. The seals were difficult because my carrier does not have a decent chamfer.

If you would like to borrow my tools I can ship them to you. Send me a PM.

Phil
    Last edited by 4fiddyR; 08-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.

5. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The carrier nut is tight, I loosen that booger while it’s still on the boat so I don’t jack up anything. Then put it on the stand to work on it. Just a little red neck tip that’ll save ya some grief if ya decide to tackle it

7. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fiddyR View Post
    You can get the special tools on Ebay for "fairly" reasonable, compared to factory new tools.

Check youtube for lower unit videos.

Don't put any side strain on the drive shaft after you remove the carrier, especially if the shift shaft is still in.

I did mine myself. I took my time and was successful and didn't wreck anything.

91-61069 Mercury Mercruiser Bearing Carrier Retainer Wrench Tool Make sure the one you buy has the hex head for the socket wrench. Mine didn't and its no fun trying to put 250 pounds of torque on it or modifying it. It just adds to frustration.

91-31107 Mercruiser, Mercury, Alpha SEI Shift Shaft Bushing Tool

91-43506 Mercruiser Mercury Spanner Tool drive shaft retainer

91-90094 Spline Tool, Driveshaft Adapte Mercury 8 Spline, to hold the drive shaft while you loosen the pinion nut

8218871T Mercury Marine Outboard Prop & Bearing Carrier Puller I got a cheap one. It sucks and needs modification to work right. I saw a video of a guy using a tiedown strap to extract the bearing carrier.

I wouldn't vise the skeg when you are loosening the carrier retainer. I put my lower unit on the bench on it's side, and used a nylon car hauler ratchet strap to lash it down tight to the bench for leverage. The manual says 250 pounds of torque for the bearing retainer nut.

When you take the drive shaft out, the driveshaft bearing will fall apart. Make sure you have all 18 rollers. I wouldn't use regular grease when you put it back together. I got the Mercury Assembly grease and lower unit lube that supposedly does not react badly if water gets in it.

Also, those are just the tools to get it apart. You need a slide hammer to remove, and mandrels for re-installing the bearings and seals. And a bearing separator if you need to remove the reverse gear to change the bearing.

I put the bearing in the freezer, and put the carrier in the oven at 200 degrees and the bearing dropped right in without too much trouble. The seals were difficult because my carrier does not have a decent chamfer.

If you would like to borrow my tools I can ship them to you. Send me a PM.

Phil
    Phil,

Thanks for sharing your experience and the offer to loan out your tools, greatly appreciate it very much, BUT.........I've found an authorized local Mercury Marine Service Shop (5 star rating) who will disassemble & reassemble after shaft gets cut down and splines re-cut for $200.
    I just bought a used 20" lower for a project with a 15" mid I'm building. For that price it's not worth my time to risk my lack of experience on L/Units, and besides it's a good time to have them go through it professionally and check things out for the long run.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!

Regards,
    Gary

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FORBESAUTO View Post
    The carrier nut is tight, I loosen that booger while it’s still on the boat so I don’t jack up anything. Then put it on the stand to work on it. Just a little red neck tip that’ll save ya some grief if ya decide to tackle it

Thank you for sharing, but have decided to have a pro do it, I chicken'd out.....

Gary