Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22 progression merc four stroke

I repowered my 22 progression with a new 200 merc pro xs four stroke. i rigged it myself as the local merc dealer was on hold due to covid. the boat was powered with a 250xs. i'm still experimenting with props but I have to say the new four strokes are remarkable motors. the v8 torque is great. the motor is smooth and quiet in all rpm ranges.

2. Likes WavetoWave, Air It Out, JPEROG, bouyhead liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I repowered my 22 progression with a new 200 merc pro xs four stroke. i rigged it myself as the local merc dealer was on hold due to covid. the boat was powered with a 250xs. i'm still experimenting with props but I have to say the new four strokes are remarkable motors. the v8 torque is great. the motor is smooth and quiet in all rpm ranges.
    Sounds awesome. Keep us posted. The new four strokes are great.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting for a ride to compare it head to head with my 2.5 / 200. This should be interesting.

BTW, As far as I know, this may be the very first 4.6 liter powered 22 Progression.
    Last edited by TooStroked; 08-09-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can just hear all the Long Island guys. "Anything less than a 300R is pffft." Not everybody needs (or can afford) a 300.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

6. Likes sonicss33, WavetoWave, bouyhead liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does that motor compare with the 250?
    Are you running the same props?
    I'm thinking going that route on the Paramount.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The new V8 ProXS engines come with a TM 1.75 or 4.88 1.85.
    Loads of torque. 6,200 RPM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Air It Out View Post
    Any pics??
    I have one, but I'll let the OP post one up first. It is his boat after all.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, Merc designed the pro xs as a direct replacement for their two stroke counterparts. My 250xs weighed 503 lbs. The four stroke 200 weighs th same. Everything was nearly plug and play. My smart craft gauges worked without extra cabling. The only thing I needed to add was a new sending unit for the water pressure gauge. I had no idea how to prop it so I turned to the bass boat guys who are replacing their two stroke motors with four strokes. They run the new mercury Fury props. I was lucky enough to find a good use four blade and three blade. The floor blade seems to work best. I haven't really pushed it hard as i'm trying to pile on break in hours. Overall this motor is working very well for me. It's very smooth and has tons of torque. And there's no gas and oil mixing. If the question arises I went with the 200 largely for the price advantage. I'm not interested in having the fastest boat on the lake. The 200 was nearly $5000 cheaper than the 250 and who know how much I saved over the 300. If you get into those big horespower motors you better be ready to take a second mortgage on your home.The best part is the sound it makes at startup.

12. Likes TooStroked, JBS, WavetoWave, bouyhead liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Air It Out View Post
    Any pics??
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

14. Likes WavetoWave, engineermike, bouyhead liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, Merc designed the pro xs as a direct replacement for their two stroke counterparts. My 250xs weighed 503 lbs. The four stroke 200 weighs th same. Everything was nearly plug and play. My smart craft gauges worked without extra cabling. The only thing I needed to add was a new sending unit for the water pressure gauge. I had no idea how to prop it so I turned to the bass boat guys who are replacing their two stroke motors with four strokes. They run the new mercury Fury props. I was lucky enough to find a good use four blade and three blade. The floor blade seems to work best. I haven't really pushed it hard as i'm trying to pile on break in hours. Overall this motor is working very well for me. It's very smooth and has tons of torque. And there's no gas and oil mixing. If the question arises I went with the 200 largely for the price advantage. I'm not interested in having the fastest boat on the lake. The 200 was nearly $5000 cheaper than the 250 and who know how much I saved over the 300. If you get into those big horespower motors you better be ready to take a second mortgage on your home.The best part is the sound it makes at startup.
    Agree with that. The 200 is a great value. Same torque and low end power as the big ones. Smooth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks better than I thought it would. I like it ����

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi i have a Verado on a 24 Progression. The Bravo One FS is a great prop for a Four Stroke!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came real close to repowering my 250xs P22 with a new 4 stroke. After a bit of research and talking numbers with the local dealer my best deal would have been the 300 proxs not the 300R. Looking forward to a follow up on this thread, particularly your prop choice and sweet spot cruising speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TooStroked View Post
    I can just hear all the Long Island guys. "Anything less than a 300R is pffft." Not everybody needs (or can afford) a 300.
    I racked up a boatload of hours with a 250xs P22 and have no regrets