Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1985 Checkmate Convincor Twin Outboard

I am putting my 1985 Checkmate Convincor Twin Outboard up for sale. This boat has a new Pour-In composite transom, new stringers, floor and carpet. I built this boat to go fast and used some of the best materials. The transom is made from Seacast, one of the best in the business. The floor is made of Okume marine grade plywood and I purchased a 12’ sheet so I had fewer seams. All wood has been encapsulated with fiberglass and resin. To support the go-fast theme I have full Latham Hydraulic steering with a Capilano helm and big Kiekhaefer 280 K-planes. For the K-planes custom brackets were made to make more efficient use of the space under the splashwell. Speaking of the splashwell, the knees were tied to the spashwell with the Seacast material for extra durability along with a welded aluminum plate tying them to the transom.

The standup bolsters are new (wood, foam and skins), the rear seat has new wood but still uses the 1985 skins. It has a decent tunes with a five channel amp, mids, tweeters and a 10” sub. I left the look of the boat original with cabin looking dated because I like it. It is old school cool and that’s what I wanted.

The motors are nothing special, 1995 carbed fishin' motors. They are 20” standard mids and use a Bob’s LWPU and cone. I have two spare 20” mids as well and four sets of props (26P Choppers, 26P Hoss, 24P Bravos, and some old cleavers).

So I bragged about all the work that has been done but there is plenty left to do. There’s a few bumps and bruises here and there. The gel is good but not awesome. It shines up but takes a lot of work to keep it there. Some of the screws like to fall out of the bulkhead and overhead after a hard run. I knocked the plexiglass window out of it last year and have not had a new one made to replace it. The boat has run in the 70’s. I have run it 71 / 72 a number of times with my wife and me, a full cooler and ½ tank of fuel. Sometimes with humid weather and running upriver it only sees 62 – 65 with four people. The magic number is 70 with this thing and it really starts to lift and fly but I’m out of motor at that speed. The motors are old and can be cranky but parts are plentiful and parts are relatively cheap. How many hours you ask? No idea, let's say 500 – 1,000. I know one thing about carbed motors, they have never left me stranded out on the water. I’ve towed some Verado’s home from time to time.

I probably have around $35k into it and will let it go for half that. Asking price is $17,500. I am not in a hurry to sell just thinking about doing something else. I live in DC area and boat mostly on the Potomac.
    You can see some build pics here: https://checkmate-boats.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32065

You will find a bunch of pics here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1801...56198748402465

Fast Just Doesn't Happen By Accident

2. Likes SCT, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the length?
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25’1”. It’s the 251 model.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned that boat at one time. I was the 2nd owner. I found it in NY on the big lake. Had the factory OB deck for the new 3.6 V8 for the 1985 model year.

I re-powered it with Twin 2.4 BP's on CMC plates. Ran 75-78 with counter rotating CLE's and 26 choppers. I felt that boat was very well built. Was good in the rough for its size. Boat was very well maintained and in excellent shape at the time. A friend of mine owned it after me. We didn't know where it ended up. Thanks for posting. I had a lot of fun with that boat. Nice to see it again.
    Last edited by scott reierson; 08-02-2020 at 01:40 PM.

6. Thanks Instigator, DropTop5.0, rbryan thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn’t realize this was your old boat Scott.

I really like the colors.
    I would think this would have been a decent rig w/a single V-8 once dialed.
    Didnt u tell me it hopped as a single?

Great looking boat Droptop. Good luck w/the sale.
    You need pixs on here to have a chance.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that was mine. Had the baby blue furry cabin carpet the girls just loved! The V8 was adequate. It was a nice running boat. 55-60MPH. Good prop cool day 62MPH. I put nitrous on the V8 too. Propped it for the big end. Gave it a shot to get it out of the hole. Ran 68. Ate a lot of Nitros. Filling those tanks is a pain in the ass. Made a lot of smaller Baja IO guys look bad. Really didn't hop to bad with that V8. The twins did. Flying this boat on the pad over 2's+ WOT with the 2.4 BP's nose high with the choppers was like diving a big hydrostream.

One day I had a big 33ft Twin IO V bottom come after me so I trimmed it out and let him get even. I laid on the button till the tank was gone. I had him by maybe 3MPH. He was stunned. When I got to the hangout beach he came over to talk, He had never seen a V8 OB. He had just got his boat. It had stock BB mags w/bravos. He told me he had run smaller OB boats and lost. Said "I can't believe these outboard boats run so fast". Great Fun

10. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes SCT, DropTop5.0, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ——sold——