Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    That’s cute but total BS. My 300R weighs the same as my old 300XS. I picked up 10MPH and acceleration from 30 mph to 90 mph is less than half the time the 300XS took. Aside from it being a V8, the motor was designed from the ground up as an outboard.
    Mark,

We are better off to just sit aside rather then engage with people that have never experienced the difference first hand. There are only two reasons that someone wouldn't change to a new V8 from a 300XS or a 300X 1. They can't afford it, or 2, they haven't experienced the difference yet. I don't see any of the guys that are bad mouthing the new stuff running boats for any distance and if you are drag racer then you are a drag racer not a recreational performance boater that does 100 mile river runs on weekly basis (no problem, its not for you but don't bad mouth it). The four stroke stuff allows people to run longer, have options for fuel, and are much more user friendly--That is what true boaters desire and its obvious when you look at the new product market demand and numbers of people making the change over.

Joe

2. Thanks InjectorService thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout, engineermike, WavetoWave, 22R, JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Mark,

We are better off to just sit aside rather then engage with people that have never experienced the difference first hand. There are only two reasons that someone wouldn't change to a new V8 from a 300XS or a 300X 1. They can't afford it, or 2, they haven't experienced the difference yet. I don't see any of the guys that are bad mouthing the new stuff running boats with us a group for any distance and if you are drag racer then you are a drag racer not a recreational performance boater that does 100 mile river runs on weekly basis (no problem, its not for you but don't bad mouth it). The four stroke stuff allows people to run longer, have options for fuel, and are much more user friendly--That is what true boaters desire and its obvious when you look at the new product market demand and numbers of people making the change over.

Joe
    I know, I don’t reply to much these days. Just figured I’d stir the pot a bit. The reactions are no different than Porsche (and Harley) going water cooled and Ferrari and Porsche eliminating manual transmissions. Always fun to watch people twist in the wind.
    Mark

4. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I don’t reply to much these days. Just figured I’d stir the pot a bit. The reactions are no different than Porsche (and Harley) going water cooled and Ferrari and Porsche eliminating manual transmissions. Always fun to watch people twist in the wind.
    using cheaper low octane fuel is a big seller.

6. Likes mbrown2 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those are very good analogies...

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    The new four strokes are great, impressive reliability and power. In the end, who cares if it's a two stroke or four, in the sense that as long as that prop shaft is turning the right RPM with enough torque. In the end, it's power made through a broad RPM range and four strokes can do that just fine.
    No one is disputing that the four strokes were built for a more civilized world. As it seems , some are asking for a more "unruly" version .. of the docile offering.
    My apologies for falling into the "V ocho trampa" , but since you joined in …

Once again my calculator's B.S. light is flashing .. the source of my skepticism ..

XS made 305 HP, the R makes 328 HP with more torque

The only parts I can use from the "7 cylinder" are the crank and rods , the rest is junk , unless you drive a Kia , then I see how it will fit's your lifestyle .

The 300x made 330 hp / and torque x rpm / 5252 will always equal HP . Now if everyone means that close to 300 ci vs close to 200 ci makes more low speed torque. I hope no one had to go to collage to figure that one out ..

I picked up 10MPH and acceleration from 30 mph to 90 mph is less than half the time the 300XS took. Aside from it being a V8, the motor was designed from the ground up as an outboard.

OK , now we're getting somewhere ...

And yes , I'm sure I could lay one down and mount it in a car ..

Hole in your 0 to 30 game .. ??? .. nevermind . I save ya from , the lower unit , the gearing , the brute power … ahemmm , the porkchop
    But this is an integral part of the math equation .. do you prefer Ban or Right Guard for your "roll-on" ..

30 to 90 with the 7 cylinder .. Lets use simple numbers .. say , 10 seconds.
    30 to 90 with the porkchop ... 4.xxx seconds .. Of course you data logged that ... right ..

10 on top .. again let use simple numbers .. 100 mph with the 7 cyl.

305 + 23 = 328 hp now that we know 23 hp produces 10 mph @ 100 = 110 mph base .
    It's refreshing to know that , stepping up again to the 450r ..

150 / 23 = 6.52 x 10 = 65.2 + 110 = 175.2 mph IMPRESSIVE

I used the numbers provided above . If my math is wrong .. please show me where .

Until then .. maybe you guys need to look at your numbers a bit more realistically , or at least introduce me to your aunt Fred .. Ppppffffttttttt

9. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe.

while I appreciate the nostalgia I’ve always been an early adopter of new tech. If you would have told me that I wouldn’t own a car or motorcycle with a manual 20 years ago I would have laughed in your face. My last 2 Porsches had PDKs, my motorcycle has a DCT and I even own one car without a transmission or an engine, a Tesla......
    Last edited by mjw930; 08-02-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    Mark

11. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz, what’s your problem? But I will give you some math.

Same boat, new motor, 10% faster with better acceleration
    87/89 octane gas (which I can get at any marina), 91/93 octane which virtually no one has on the water And if they do it’s $5/gallon.
    Motor goes boom in the next 5 years I make a phone call and drop off the boat, no cost. Modified old motor, break put the check book and pray it’s not terminal.

I like my math.
    Mark

13. Likes powerabout, JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My problem .. LOL If you look, my song remains the same ...

You guys have went from , enjoying stirring the pot , sitting back and watching to writing a few derogatory post's to me .. And I noticed you have changed your tune along the way . Who's got the problem ..

10% faster .. yea , hard numbers without thought will put you behind the 8 ball ..
    (vague is better when talking to someone who calls ya our on your statement, I'm easy … your forgiven)

Accelerates twice as quick … to , accelerates better ..
    (see how much better you feel when your being honest)

Call Mercury , they will give you a new one ..
    (I spoke about that a page or so ago , And if it justifies 30k for an outboard motor, who am to bust your bubble )

Porsche's , Ferrari's , Honda~matic CB400's …
    (what , now your gonna go Jack Benny over a little octane booster or a $2000 dollar powerhead )

I am honored that you guys even talk to me .. I mean , I'm just a poor boy , who's EGO .. err … wallet can't afford a new outboard motor . Even if I could , they must only sell them in Volusia county .. and they told me I could drive one . Then pulled away from the dock without me ..
    OK , I'm lying . They do sell them here , I could go get a couple of them if I wanted . And yes, I did drive one … You guys just haven't convinced my ego that it needs to spend $60,000 or $130,000.00 for two egg beaters ..

Lets see $30,000 motor . Yep , I can buy parts to build 15 3.0L powerheads for that kind of money .. Now if you don't know how .. then I reckon you gotta pull your drawrs down and bend over … that's some math you got there ..

I do gotta know … do you park your CB400A in front of "The BootHill Saloon"

BTW .. the thread is about the 3.4L V-6 … just sayin ..

15. Likes powerabout, 22R, mrichartz, "HITMAN" liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3.4 V6..... Ya Chazz It started off as a v6 thread than morphed into a Big boat faster thread. I am sure that when ever a new thing comes out some will like the old and others will embrace the new. Both 4/2 strokes have their Good/ Bad.....Lucky for us all......We get the old and they sell the used broken stuff that in it's day was the best.....now sold off cheep.....Wait until the new stuff starts showing what real life can do to pencil pushers dreams......That cheep plastic part that is so important...….As far as the big boys that can spend $ 130,000 well more power to them...….I was going down the road and a chevy truck towing a 3 wheel camper passed me.... total value.....130,000.... me ? 2,000 dollar bomber......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Mark,

We are better off to just sit aside rather then engage with people that have never experienced the difference first hand. There are only two reasons that someone wouldn't change to a new V8 from a 300XS or a 300X 1. They can't afford it, or 2, they haven't experienced the difference yet. I don't see any of the guys that are bad mouthing the new stuff running boats with us a group for any distance and if you are drag racer then you are a drag racer not a recreational performance boater that does 100 mile river runs on weekly basis (no problem, its not for you but don't bad mouth it). The four stroke stuff allows people to run longer, have options for fuel, and are much more user friendly--That is what true boaters desire and its obvious when you look at the new product market demand and numbers of people making the change over.

Joe
    Thought this was by v6r thread. Where's the 15 inch 4 joke that weighs the same as the 225 promax, or any 2.5 v6? Got money in my hand. Lol!

18. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the original topic, no I don’t see a market for a Mercury racing V6. People are buying bigger boats now and the existing 300 V8 and 250 work for them

20. Thanks 22R thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny this was a V6 thread...

22. Likes Capt.Insane-o, HydroSkreamin, JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown2 View Post
    Funny this was a V6 thread...
    Your close , it was a V-6 "four stroke" thread …

I can't read the "spec sheet" from a page ago ..

Can some one please post the :

bore

stroke

RPM red line

cranking compression

24. Likes mbrown2 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the topic of the four stroke V6, does anyone know where I can get my ECU flashed for a little more power? I currently have a 2019 Merc. 200 and would like to get a little more from it. I believe Simon Performance has stopped doing it. Anyone know where I could have it done? Thanks for the info

Formerly Central WI/LOTO Currently PHX AZ
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Your close , it was a V-6 "four stroke" thread …

I can't read the "spec sheet" from a page ago ..

Can some one please post the :

bore

stroke

RPM red line

cranking compression
    Bore: 92mm (3.622", for those metrically challenged)

Stroke: 86mm (3.386")

Redline: 6000 RPM (225 & 175 ProXS models, 200 & 175 base are 5800)

Cranking Compression: 205-225 PSI
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

27. Likes Capt.Insane-o, AZMIDLYF liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast