Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    Most guys that are serious about running older, smaller, cheaper hi-po hulls aren't in the market for a new motor. Those that have deep pockets can afford to build an old 2 stroke that will work better anyway. How bad do you think Klotz would damage a catalytic converter? I like burning oil...
    might be history but an e-tec producing so little CO wouldnt need a catcon, that should have been a marketing edge once the 4 slugs get bigger and heavier...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    might be history but an e-tec producing so little CO wouldnt need a catcon, that should have been a marketing edge once the 4 slugs get bigger and heavier...
    I was thinking more along the lines of dumping some Klotz in 4 stroke gas for the smell...

3. Likes 22R, mbrown2, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that a 3 liter sportmaster bolts right up to the new V6 motors? Are the driveshafts splined the same?

5. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    Good points Chaz. And yes, the V6 ain't slim either, it's basically just shorter than the V8. The 3.4 V6 is a DOHC, can make lots of power. For a 250 HP, a V6 makes more sense. I think a 225R and 250R V6 would outsell the V8 250R easily.
    I want one of them Monroe County V-9's ..

200HP V-8 .. lots of crickets on that one I'll bet ..
    There's no doubt that the 3.4L could easily be stepped up quite a bit . I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the factory to do it .
    The "Quatro~Valvola" heads from all mfg are generally pretty good. But being a production line piece , it has it's limitations. More than likely its not the cork in the system and wouldn't need much more than a bowl clean-up and springs. It would get expensive installing oversize Ti valves etc. The worst part is buying / grinding four cams . Then if they are shim and bucket , the base circle can't change much or you lose adjustment .
    To get any compression , it would need a set of pistons .. customs . Normally piston company's don't like to do a 'run of six" .. so you would be in for a little larger buy-in unless they have already have blanks for a different application that would work with a program change..
    ECU .. not that there has ever been a lot there on normally asperated engines. To think so would be saying , they build a nice piece , but no one in the building knows how to tune it . Putting in a couple degrees could be done at the flywheel and fuel could be moved with pressure , injector size or both. Same story , you would have to make global adjustments . Unless you went with one of the many aftermarket ECU's that you can tune individual parameters on the fly from the dashboard , a tablet or cell phone ..
    The people who buy most of them probably think that 175 hp is already way to much power , and love the fact that you change the Klotz .. err .. oil once every couple of years .. and other than that , you just put gas in it and go.
    Like Nitro stated , lots of die-hard two stroke guys out there that wouldn't buy one if the money was burning a hole in their pocket. (some of my own words thrown in there, but I believe that's what he meant)
    Some will always look at them as over priced , cantankerous , cream puff's. So far lots of wolf tickets sold on the four strokes , but nothing more has happened than waiting for the factory to release the "next new and improved model" …
    Really starting to make me wonder if they put these together with nuts and bolts .. or just epoxy the castings together at the factory so you can't get inside …

Power .. I just seen the 2025 BrpOmcDamlierPeugeotJawaCz … E-pletic

<strike>
    </strike>
    <strike></strike>

7. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good idea but looking back the 2.5 performance motors were not big sellers towards the end. Why would they want to continue?Anyway who builds a light production hull now to accommodate these new motors? I'm with Nitro Rat,guys will just build the 2.5s who want a good motor for their hot rod.
    The new V8s are great.........on the right boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post
    It's a good idea but looking back the 2.5 performance motors were not big sellers towards the end. Why would they want to continue?Anyway who builds a light production hull now to accommodate these new motors? I'm with Nitro Rat,guys will just build the 2.5s who want a good motor for their hot rod.
    The new V8s are great.........on the right boat.
    Because outboards sales are through the roof, warranty, turn key, good margin, expands the V6 platform. Lots of reasons. I'm pretty sure they will make a V6 R. Keep in mind, the R are consumer engines, with performance upgrades.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't remember what I paid for my first computer . But I had a pretty Gucci tower built for my second one that I think paid $750 dollars for . The one I have now is just as fast , quieter and was less than $250 dollars .

Mercury built the 2.4 ~2.5L stuff for a longggggggg time. Might even say they flooded the market with them. Smelted their own aluminum, owned all the molds , fixtures and tooling .. How come that by the end of the small block's run they cost as much , if not more than the , trailer , boat , motor , accessories , and the truck that the average guy pull's with .. ??? Inflation .. BS , GREED is what killed it.

On both sides...

How many guys went to the dealership .. took a look and said .. I'd love to have a new motor , but it looks like I'm gonna need ta fix my old one. And never stepped foot in a dealer again ..
    How many daddy warbucks plopped their money down , 10 hours later ran it up on the rocks @ 30 mph .. the bottom fell off this motor , you better fix this lemon !
    Two for one special .. or as my wife call's it B.O.G.O.
    Can't blame em I reckon .. just charge the price for a replacement right up front .. but I hope they ain't holding their breath to start counting my money .. unless they want to only charge me for the one motor I take home with me ..

Why are / were new boats and motors selling like hotcakes .. Trump !
    After the planes slammed the towers .. GWya did little to help the middle class. BoDumba just about killed us the rest of the way off .. It's not like the products available to consumers are so much better than they were 10 years ago …
    Trump made it to where people weren't afraid to spend money for the first time in a long time . If the 2.5's were still in the showroom at a decent price .. they would sell. Since they are not .. guys are / were buying what is available ..
    Chazanomics … LMAO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it weren't for others buying new stuff...… I wouldn't have anything...……….

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    If it weren't for others buying new stuff...… I wouldn't have anything...……….
    I had the Mrs. splurge last weekend . That's right , she bought me some new shorts and tee shirts to work in .………………… this winter ..

13. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This new four stroke sh*t is boring as ***k anyway.

15. Likes stoker2001 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    This new four stroke sh*t is boring as ***k anyway.
    Say that after you go for a 140 mph pass in a mid 30 foot cat. The stuff these new motors are doing was dreamland for the stuff in the not so distant past. Add water like lake Michigan or LOTO to the picture and its anything but boring-its a total rush. I will have my LCB running soon with a 4 stroke and if I am able to make it by the Jasper river run I will let you drive it and experience it first hand. "My guess is that you will change your opinion if running out front is of any importance to you".

Joe

17. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Joe I'm not a stranger to any of this stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What 300R or 450 boats have you run to make that statement? A 22 liberator, 32 DW, 34 MTI, 39 MTI, 42 DW or 34 Victory have not left me with anything close to that feeling and I have had a few boats over the last 35 years as well.

Joe

20. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ok..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a bit like a 2 stroke stand up jet ski versus the newer 3 seat couches that go faster but are heavy and boring
    There is a market for both
    But did the 4slugs kill the racing or did people become couch potatoes?
    Last edited by powerabout; 08-01-2020 at 11:09 PM.

23. Likes Capt.Insane-o, Whaaaaat, 22R liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast