Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Case for a Mercury Racing V6 four stroke

What do you guys think of the prospect of the 3.4L V6 tuned by Mercury Racing? Specifically a 225 and 250R HP. I think it makes tons of sense, the current V8 250R does not sell well, it's heavy for a 250, has the big Sport Master and just doesn't suit a lot boats. The V6 platform, is about 50 Lbs lighter, smaller, and with some upgrades from Racing, could be a really great performer.

I outlined a few details, making the case in this article. What do you think? Would you rather see a 225R and 250R as a V6?

Article:

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...ng-v6-outboard

2. Likes rankink, 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As per the article, the 300R is great. I just think the V6 is better suited to the 250 and 225 Range than the V8.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 35lbs lighter....I would like to see them do something where they could increase the 4 Cyl that the 60 is based on....If they could increase that to 2.5 liter w/turbo or supercharger..would think they could keep the weight around 350 and make 200-225ish hp....would think that would be a nice light combo...

5. Thanks 22R thanked for this post
    Likes 22R liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said the V8 is actually only 35lbs heavier, for most people it makes sense to go with the V8 versions. Great torque, great sound, V8 bragging rights etc.

Don't think a 250R V6 would sell all that well. The people who buy Mercury Racing products want to go fast so they buy the 300R instead of the 250R... simple as. Making the 250R a V6 won't make those guys more interested in the 250 version, probably the opposite.

If anything Mercury should launch a 350R V8 tuned to 6000-6500rpm or so. I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming in the future, still untapped potential in that engine.

7. Likes JPEROG, HydroSkreamin, Toffen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in a higher performance v6 for sure. With 3.4 liters, it seems upper 200's or even 300hp normally aspirated is achievable. But that muddy's the water with the v8 line up. Will be interesting to see where it al goes in the next 5 yrs. I've been told more OEM boat manufacturers are switching from yamaha to merc. They really came out with a strong package compared to the pig yamaha 425. I'd suspect you'll see the normally aspirated v8 bumped up to 350 before too long.
    Last edited by DangerNewb; 07-29-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

9. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give us a 15" model in either a V6 or V8 please.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The V-8 is here to stay (they now have the production facility to support its demand). If they come up with an increased compression/timing/more aggressively tuned 300R on a 15" midsection that will turn 7000 (400 hp/1.60 gear/91 octane and 500 lbs.) we will have the ultimate power plant for what we all like. Unfortunately, we are super small market segment, and Mercury has to be EPA compliant with anything that they release to us for public use.

We would be more likely to have a real chance if we approached them having a list of committed buyers in hand that will give a 1/2 down deposit (they are a business-not a hobby shop). If they would release what I mentioned above, I will commit to buying 3 of them if the price is with within 25% of a current 300R. Now go ahead and commit on this thread and we will all have it for public record. This would also be an incredible platform for the S-class race boats and they could restrict power if needed via. E.C.U.s that the sanctioning body would issue at each race.

I would put a pair on my DW cat and a single on a (STV Mod-VP--ultimate river weapon).

Joe

12. Likes V-bottom liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    What do you guys think of the prospect of the 3.4L V6 tuned by Mercury Racing? Specifically a 225 and 250R HP. I think it makes tons of sense, the current V8 250R does not sell well, it's heavy for a 250, has the big Sport Master and just doesn't suit a lot boats.
    I think …… you never should have mentioned the one with a couple extra holes , if you wanted to talk about the 3.4L .. LOL
    The 3.4L is no where near the external size as it's "pork chop" big brother, but it's no "baby back rib" either . Somewhere in the middle .. more livable on small boats ..
    As far as weight, with all the "nu~wave" garbage they seem to think they need on a new motor … you could prob lose at least another 25 to 50 lbs .. 20 in the exhaust
    (catalytic ready just in case we go full commie in a few months) .
    The 3.0L sporty will bolt right up .. as you know
    I was sent a few pics a while back , if I remember , two valve head , single overhead cam , rockers with adjusters . Makes for easy less expensive big gains early in the game , but with deep pockets , it wont make what it would if it was a 4 valve . Personally, I'll take 90% of the gains for 2/3 rds less money ..
    Unless ya wanna put a arm in there that brings it up to a even 4.0L , then throw that McDonalds budget out the window ..
    Don't we have a mutual friend in Europe that can't wait to get his hands on a pair of em …
    As far as Merc making "special interest" run's .. Unless a big race group needs a bunch of motors for a class ( not motors for 10 - 15 boats ) then look for them to continue to build motors that fit in where it's 90% correct for many segments , rather than make wholesale changes to fit any 10% group .. as was stated , it's a buiz ..
    Whats next … well , if my Chrystal~ball would start workin again .. and my aunt was my uncle .. we wouldn't have to talk in terms of .. "it should" "it aughta" "no doughty~bout it" "it's gonna" "they gonna" "Oh I'm gonna" .. there's already a whole cloud full of those …………….. miscalculations

14. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good points Chaz. And yes, the V6 ain't slim either, it's basically just shorter than the V8. The 3.4 V6 is a DOHC, can make lots of power. For a 250 HP, a V6 makes more sense. I think a 225R and 250R V6 would outsell the V8 250R easily.

Specs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    The V-8 is here to stay (they now have the production facility to support its demand). If they come up with an increased compression/timing/more aggressively tuned 300R on a 15" midsection that will turn 7000 (400 hp/1.60 gear/91 octane and 500 lbs.) we will have the ultimate power plant for what we all like. Unfortunately, we are super small market segment, and Mercury has to be EPA compliant with anything that they release to us for public use.

We would be more likely to have a real chance if we approached them having a list of committed buyers in hand that will give a 1/2 down deposit (they are a business-not a hobby shop). If they would release what I mentioned above, I will commit to buying 3 of them if the price is with within 25% of a current 300R. Now go ahead and commit on this thread and we will all have it for public record. This would also be an incredible platform for the S-class race boats and they could restrict power if needed via. E.C.U.s that the sanctioning body would issue at each race.

I would put a pair on my DW cat and a single on a (STV Mod-VP--ultimate river weapon).

Joe
    Ya, the V8 is awesome. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. It just sucks in the sub 250 range. The V8 you're describing would be more of a hobby motor.
    Last edited by WavetoWave; 07-29-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
    As said the V8 is actually only 35lbs heavier, for most people it makes sense to go with the V8 versions. Great torque, great sound, V8 bragging rights etc.

Don't think a 250R V6 would sell all that well. The people who buy Mercury Racing products want to go fast so they buy the 300R instead of the 250R... simple as. Making the 250R a V6 won't make those guys more interested in the 250 version, probably the opposite.

If anything Mercury should launch a 350R V8 tuned to 6000-6500rpm or so. I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming in the future, still untapped potential in that engine.

It's actually closer to 55 Lbs, and less dimensional size. The 250R doesn't sell well. A V6 version in 225 and 250 would be way more attractive for performance bass, flats, sport boats and repower market. Better for Mercury too, as a way to expand the reach of the V6.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    It's actually closer to 55 Lbs, and less dimensional size. The 250R doesn't sell well. A V6 version in 225 and 250 would be way more attractive for performance bass, flats, sport boats and repower market. Better for Mercury too, as a way to expand the reach of the V6.
    According to the Mercury website the weight difference between the ProXS 175 V6 and the ProXS 200 V8 is 35 lbs. But maybe that isn't so accurate and you've measured them in real life?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
    According to the Mercury website the weight difference between the ProXS 175 V6 and the ProXS 200 V8 is 35 lbs. But maybe that isn't so accurate and you've measured them in real life?
    The V6 Pro is 470, the 250R is 520 Lbs, and the HD 300R is 546. Real world weight is more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V8, v6, v5, v9, v16. Doesn't matter a bit. Make it weigh what a 225 pro max 15 inch weighs and I'll buy one. The market segment that's interested in what the pig weighs doesn't care about how many cylinders. The market segment that wants 2 stroke performance doesn't want to have to buy a bigger boat just to float the bigger pig on the back, no matter the cylinders. Merc needs to jump on the bandwagon and start some defund the EPA action.

21. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most guys that are serious about running older, smaller, cheaper hi-po hulls aren't in the market for a new motor. Those that have deep pockets can afford to build an old 2 stroke that will work better anyway. How bad do you think Klotz would damage a catalytic converter? I like burning oil...

23. Likes JBS liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast