Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is involved in putting sportmaster gears in an xr4/xr6 gearcase?

I see that the stock xr pinion/driveshaft uses the inline spline pattern. The pinion bearing surface is larger diameter on the driveshaft for the regular v6 full size gearcase, and I don't think it can be turned down to fit the xr gearcase, as I assume that the surface is hardened. I know I would have to trim down the diameter of the gearset from a regular v6 case to fit the xr gearcase. So I know it's been done, but how? Thanks!!!
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Charlie,

Jim Ruck did one for me years ago. You might want to call the guy that took his operation over and ask him for details (he witnessed a bunch of them being built and was hands on with Jim).

Joe

3. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your best bet at this point us probably to pay up for one of the surviving Steckbauer (sp?) cases. You can probably find one if you post on one of the FB () boat groups like "high performance props and more." Prepare to break out $$$$...

5. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want the XR6. The pinion bearing bore in the XR4 is wrong. If I remember right the pinion bearing from a big case will press in the XR6 without mods. Might pm Cody Tarver on FB. I think he cuts gears. Should know the in’s and out’s
    Erik Kiser

7. Likes Capt.Insane-o, mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    You want the XR6. The pinion bearing bore in the XR4 is wrong. If I remember right the pinion bearing from a big case will press in the XR6 without mods. Might pm Cody Tarver on FB. I think he cuts gears. Should know the in’s and out’s
    Thanks Erik, that's what I was wondering. I haven't had a chance to look through the epc to figure out the parts difference. If I could run a regular v6 driveshaft the rest would be easy
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    We're all the xr6 cases small diameter, or did the later ones go to the normal v6 case?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie 93 brochure listed 1:78 and 1:87 case option 95 only 1:87. 92 was first year of XR6.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

11. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Charlie 93 brochure listed 1:78 and 1:87 case option 95 only 1:87. 92 was first year of XR6.

Dave
    I have a couple of good xr4 cases, I may take a look at what is involved to bore it for the xr6 pinion bearing. It would be easy enough to turn the v6 driveshaft in the lathe to change the upper bearing height for the shorter xr4 housing. Finding an xr6 would probably be a good luck deal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    I have a couple of good xr4 cases, I may take a look at what is involved to bore it for the xr6 pinion bearing. It would be easy enough to turn the v6 driveshaft in the lathe to change the upper bearing height for the shorter xr4 housing. Finding an xr6 would probably be a good luck deal
    Ya, not like the XR6 was produced for long, lots of XR4 stuff as made for many years and was used lots by the Bass boat guys.
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

14. Likes mrcrsr liked this post