Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering Arms for Champ Mid Cable/Pulley Steering

Looking for some guidance on options for steering arms for my STV Mod-VP project. I need a set of steering arms and high quality pulleys as well.
    By far, from what I’ve seen, the best looking ones are the GeigerTec, who I emailed at the beginning of last week. He responded and said “Let me see what I have”, but I haven’t heard back from him, even though I sent a follow-up email. They have a bunch of nice stuff that I would like, but I guess he’s too busy...
    So, I’m looking at options, in case I never hear back from Geiger:
    The Merc factory version, which I had in my old Mirage, isn’t really an option, since they’re like $1,000 for just the two arms.
    Power Performance sells some nice custom billet pieces, but you have to buy two sets for $1K, and I don’t think I’ll be needing a spare set, lol.
    Then I came across these ones, which are offered by Marine Industries West (Dana Marine), which seem like a great deal, but I can’t find anything else on them anywhere on the net. They offer a whole kit as well, although I don’t want that, as their front pulleys wouldn’t work on my boat (they’re 2-bolt vs. the 4 bolt on my boat).
    Here’s a link to the MIW/Dana arms:
    https://www.marineindustrieswest.com...productid=1239
    Last edited by CI STV; 07-26-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one have any experience with or know of anyone using the Dana Marine Steering bars? I’m thinking of just biting the bullet and ordering a set in clear anodized and see what they look like. All of the Dana Marine stuff that I’ve seen back in the day was quality stuff, so I’m hoping it’s the same quality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use to buy parts from Dana , I think they closed the doors about 10 years ago ..

The day the man picked up this "stick-mid" …

He dropped off a wing plate ...

Can ya lose me some weight ... ?

I reckon I did .. he had em powder coated and are on his other boat ...

4. Thanks CI STV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that’s a hell of a weight savings alright. That “skeletor” mid must save quite a bit of weight. That’s the red QS1 boat right?
    The heaviest part of the champ midsection is the transom/swivel bracket. I weighed mine the other day - 35.8 lbs without the lower yoke:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5291C893-97DD-43A6-9D4F-917D72C30BBE.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	392.0 KB 
ID:	470559
    That’s still not bad, considering that there’s two hydraulic cylinders in there. You have to give credit Mercury for their neat, simple design. The way they incorporated the up/down cylinder in the swivel bracket was ingenious.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea what material that mid is constructed from? Aluminum? Steel? Cromoly?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Any idea what material that mid is constructed from? Aluminum? Steel? Cromoly?
    You mean the stick built mid that Chaz posted? Chrome-moly I think. Chaz should know, since he built it. Some serious skills involved in hand building something like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All the OMC based units are over 100 lbs lighter than a factory 20" set-up.
    Monty designed the adapter plate and it's built here in town. The tuner for the V-6 and V-8's … I build to his design .

That 2.5 mid on the red QS1 was 85 pounds lighter than a factory 15" clamp, swivel, can and exhaust adapter plate. The plate/tuner came from Canada.

Yes sir, the factory 12" up~down , in~out , clamp/swivel is a trick piece ..
    If I remember correct .. it uses an ACME thread on the swivel pin .. quick acting , and less chance of getting stuck .

Yes all the tubing is 4130 molly and the "dogbones" are DOM mechanical (bushing stock) tubing, welded with 70-S2.

I don't ask , but I think the "sailboat" string (6" from wheel axle to rod end hole) steering parts Monty use's comes from Jack @ Full Throttle .

My "hi-tech" template … LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    All the OMC based units are over 100 lbs lighter than a factory 20" set-up.
    Monty designed the adapter plate and it's built here in town. The tuner for the V-6 and V-8's … I build to his design .

That 2.5 mid on the red QS1 was 85 pounds lighter than a factory 15" clamp, swivel, can and exhaust adapter plate. The plate/tuner came from Canada.

Yes sir, the factory 12" up~down , in~out , clamp/swivel is a trick piece ..
    If I remember correct .. it uses an ACME thread on the swivel pin .. quick acting , and less chance of getting stuck .

Yes all the tubing is 4130 molly and the "dogbones" are DOM mechanical (bushing stock) tubing, welded with 70-S2.

I don't ask , but I think the "sailboat" string (6" from wheel axle to rod end hole) steering parts Monty use's comes from Jack @ Full Throttle .

My "hi-tech" template … LOL

I love the lack of sophistication. Any man that can build one of those works of art without robotics has my respect.
    Gordon was always a master craftsman too. He built my first OMC 3.0 motor back in the mid 90's and that damn thing is still running around here somewhere. It made a **** ton of power and then I put an 85hp nitrous from Chuck Goodman on it and it scooted like a fart in a hurricane I bought his old Mirage, which is also still in mint condition and is owned by a friend, but running a drag motor nowadays. The STV that I'm building was the boat he replaced that one with - the blue, yellow/orange Mod-VP.
    He's a good old guy, although I haven't talked to him in ages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I could use 3 or 4 good robots that are hungry to work . Not the ones that run on that … hung-over / cell phone / moody girlfriend / operating system …

11. Likes CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any idea where I can get a set of replacement front pulleys like the ones in the photo below? I’m pretty sure these are Nydahl, but I can’t find anywhere on the net that sells them? The wheels are shot and the swivel axles are seized.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF7004C9-2B24-42F7-82A4-F0C7E1EE4156.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	470603

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update this thread, I got an email from Marine Industries West this morning saying:
    “Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have the components available. These parts were being made specifically for one boat manufacturer. They are currently not buying the parts, so we have not built them for some time. Due to order minimums, I won't be able to produce quantities this small.”
    I sent another email to Geiger today, but so far no response.
    I’m also considering the Power Performance arms, but you have to order two sets from them, according to their website.
    Looks like these things are the hardest things to find. No wonder some people are using hydraulic steering, which I don’t want to use myself.