Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...when boat builders/manufacturers build a new boat, it's part of coast guard regulation, and b.i.a. (boating industry association) regulation, to ground the deck fill to the fuel tank for prevention of static build. when filling a boat with fuel at the gas dock or gas station, etc., the high rate of fuel flow going down the inside of the rubber fuel fill hose, creates the static. new boat builders do this a few different ways. the cheaper builders just strip off a bunch of wire insulation off a length of 14 gauge green ground wire at the top end, and bend it over the top and into, the new fill hose, and then push the hose & clamps onto the bottom of the deck fuel fill fitting. some rivet the wire to the fill. some a ring terminal & attach to one of the mounting machine screws. every builder does it their way. the tank end of the aluminum tank fill hose ground wire is done all different ways as well.
    Assuming this is necessary on both aluminum and plastic tanks? I've got three old boats and I can't say that I recall this being done on any of them. Will do some checking. Thanks.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never seen a ground wire on any fuel cell in a race boat which has a cap that opens directly into tank, whether the tank was plastic or aluminum.
    I take it from what FUJIMO said that’s only necessary for tanks that have rubber filler hoses with a metal deck fill and a metal flange on the tank?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CI STV View Post
    I’ve never seen a ground wire on any fuel cell in a race boat which has a cap that opens directly into tank, whether the tank was plastic or aluminum.
    I take it from what FUJIMO said that’s only necessary for tanks that have rubber filler hoses with a metal deck fill and a metal flange on the tank?
    All 3 of my boats have filler hoses. The cap (which this thread started with) is an "extra" hole in one of my tanks. It also has the regular fill and vent prongs (plastic) to attach hoses to. Two tanks are plastic and one is aluminum. I intend to make sure this is right on all three. From the reading I've done, I basically need to make sure I have a wire from the metal deck flange on the filler hose run to the ground side of the fuel gauge sending unit, assuming it's properly grounded. Or to some other grounded spot such as the negative battery terminal. Correct? I really don't want to get blown up!!! I routinely fill one of boats while standing in the boat with a gas can. The fill hole is hard to reach while standing on the ground and holding a 5 gallon can.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2