Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Center console prop help

New to the scream and fly board but not new to boating in general and been around on offshore only for a while. I thought I would come here for folks that likely have a lot more in depth knowledge on outboards, though I do see some offshore only members here also.

My experience with outboards = zero, zilch, nada, before this a 33 lightning and a 35 Outlaw
    My current lake is LOTO usually stay down below the 20MM and avoid the washing machine especially on weekends

Here is what I have: 2017 Sunsation CCX 29 the hull on this boat is a 288 Intimidator stepped hull no changes were made when Sunsation built these first center consoles. Has 2017 twin 200 HP Merc Verados (4cyl) 25" XL . boat weighs 4200 lb. dry

Left the factory as follows:
    Verdao at lowest hole on transom bracket - confirmed it still is
    Factory had no X-Dimension info and I have not measured it
    Drives turning out with MIRAGE PLUS 3 blade 14-5/8" 23P
    With 2 ppl on board 30 gal of fuel boat ran 60 mph @ 6000 rpm in calm conditions

The owner said original props would constantly blow out when trying to get on plane (I cannot believe they propped this boat from the factory with heavy prop slip out of the hole but..) so he took it in and had a shop change props that shop chose Rev-4 14-5/8 21P this is what is currently on the boat. The owner I bought it off when we took it out for a water test said its better but still does it some and demonstrated by throttling up to between 4500-5000 and yea you could hear and see some slip going on.

Sunsation factory comment: We use the Rev-4 on our bigger center consoles and not sure they would do well on the 29 CCX

Throttling up from no wake to almost full throttle is not how I ever drove my I/O boats it may be a stupid question but is this how you normally run outboards? Seems hard on equipment to me?

So I am still getting use to the boat but on calm water two ppl and 50 gal of fuel boat runs 55.8 @ 5800 (max rpm with the prop)
    and in a bit of chop 37.5 @ 4000 rpm. This seems to indicate to much prop for these engines??? but the Rev-4's are suppose to be good for rough water and there is plenty of that on LOTO and I am not trying to squeeze the last bit of speed out of the boat just want to make sure the engines are running in the right rpm range with the right prop.

Any comments or thoughts are appreciated I wish I had more experience with outboards but I'm starting from zero if any of you experienced guys are also on LOTO and want to go for a boat ride let me know lol

Sorry for the long post but I tried to layout as much detail as I had and wasn't sure what to cut out!
    Last edited by Awash; 07-21-2020 at 05:20 PM.