Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 280 that floods during starting

I have a 280 that doesn't like to start. When it's cold it will start no problem, but once it's warmed up and you try to start in gear, it will flood out often. It's a 50/50 guess as to whether or not it will fire, which can get interesting around docks with a motor that can't be shifted while running. Once it floods, I have to shut off the fuel pump and fire it to clear it out. Then it starts fine. Injectors have been services by Brucato, and I also swapped another set as a test, same issue. All air passages in the horn have been cleaned, all sensor readings are good, rings and reeds are new, compression is good. Once up to speed the motor runs great all the way up to redline, but it does have a decent surge that happens in no wake zones around 3000 rpms.

Also, this is a 280 powerhead on an offshore mid from a 1993 260. Not sure if that could have something to do with it? It's been this way since I put the fresh powerhead on this mid. I mention this because the motor whistles air out of the horn as the boat goes up and down with waves. Seems weird that the water rising in the mid pushes all the way up into the motor, but maybe that's just the way they are?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue but mine was laser injection not a horn motor. I had a couple broken reeds.
    But you say your reeds are new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shifted my 280 for 10 years and never had issues May want to check airgap when throttle is closed... been a long time but think it's .004
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroski View Post
    I shifted my 280 for 10 years and never had issues May want to check airgap when throttle is closed... been a long time but think it's .004
    Thanks. Checked the throttle and it's at .005 and the TPS is correct as well. New plugs, compression is good. Starting to think it's a coil or ECU issue but that's harder to troubleshoot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If DDT is avalable - check to see where FUEL OFFSET is - i wonder if your + 1 on that setting . Possibly if you go "0" on the setting it may improve your idle characteristics . Check the plug as well for stock setting and of course the plug type - stock - can' recollect the change . So fuel offset and plugs- 2 simple items . From what I know - Little - Fuel offset can be adjusted + 1 , 0 , or - 1 . From DDT . Hope that helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kellytheaker View Post
    If DDT is avalable - check to see where FUEL OFFSET is - i wonder if your + 1 on that setting . Possibly if you go "0" on the setting it may improve your idle characteristics . Check the plug as well for stock setting and of course the plug type - stock - can' recollect the change . So fuel offset and plugs- 2 simple items . From what I know - Little - Fuel offset can be adjusted + 1 , 0 , or - 1 . From DDT . Hope that helps
    Thanks. I have a Rinda tool that can read all the sensors but it doesn't look like it has that fuel offset function. Will try to find someone with a DDT. I've also replaced the plugs a few times over the last year that this has been happening, but that hasn't helped. Tried both the stock Champions and NGKs. Same problem.

I'm thinking that the starting problem is somehow related to the surging that I get at 3000 rpm.
    Last edited by tripower; 07-18-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rhinda - im not all that familiar with the tool but suspect it will possibly look at that parameter , do you need to page down further to get to that setting or do you have a rhinda manual that walks you into window or features . I am personally only proficient on the DDT from OTC . call them and see if you can get the skinny from a tech at rhinda - this may be just that fuel setting - possibly too rich for your area/sea level - at least check - its sometimes just the simple stuff - if you skip a simple check you may run around in circles . i have read threads of the 280 loading up a touch at prolonged idle stints. As well I had read a thread of the disconnect the fuel pump to clear it'self and then fires - was that an earlier thread of your motor and running condition .
    Let us know if Rhinda was capable of changing fuel setting . Should I would hope .
    Last edited by kellytheaker; 07-20-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    put a kill switch on the high pressure fuel pump to kill the pump when hot starting its a common 280 thing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE View Post
    put a kill switch on the high pressure fuel pump to kill the pump when hot starting its a common 280 thing
    I had that on mine. Worked well.
    Allison XB02, 22ft Tritoon 225 4 stroke, two seadoo sparks

Past rides 2001 STV EURO, Allison Grandsport, STV RiverRocket, STV Euro, STV ProComp, Hydrostream V-King
    RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1