Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon02 View Post
    Oh yea, I took a photo of #1 piston that failed due to heat and that high ring location. The metal got hot (no signs of pre-gnition) from a long run and simply folded the ring and snagged the port. Here you see the entire land is peeled up and the locating pin destroyed -
    You know Gordon, was that #1 carb ever checked to make sure that everything was free and clear/clean? It was never mentioned. Block the jet a little....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the boat/motor "as was" - 3 holes in the hull - one football sized, stupid speakers mounted up high on conduit pipe like a wakeboard boat, and a 115 stock outboard with low compression numbers on #1. I brought it home having looked for a GT150 for several years and started tearing it apart the next day. The boat had been poorly restored some years back, then sold to a young guy who wasted no time drilling holes into the exhaust above the gearcase, adding those a fore mentioned speakers, and hitting a buoy just ahead of the drivers seat that busted through the gunnel. The stock carbs never had a chance with me because I knew I was looking for the much bigger 1 3/8" ones. Gordon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5639.jpg   IMG_5760.jpg   IMG_0864.jpg   IMG_0397.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    were you able to get the large carbs? Those are hard to get. I have numerous sets of them in the v6 config...........none with the v4. I used my 5/16 carbs on my hot headed motor, because I couldn't find the big boys. I just up-jetted mine a size to compensate for the compression.

As for the boat, I am quite envious of you. That's the kinda thing I am trying to find. BTW, since you have it apart, why don't you design and cut in a pad? It wouldn't be that difficult. Go look at a bass boat, and mod your hull. Chinewalking sux.............

Then its safe for you at the high speeds even if they aren't your big speeds in the other crafts you have. My first boat(Cajun) didn't have a pad and it had a 112 spl on it. When I trimmed it out, All was going good(only doin 53) and Id hit a small wave..........that thing chine walked.........good times!!

Where there aren't any strakes at the back of the boat, a pad could be cut in.............just me stirring the pot!!! Reinforce the transom with a couple of forward stringers...........

I promise you, I'd give it a go if it were mine.............I'm not just blowing smoke at ya. I just don't want to ever have chine walking ever again.....regardless of speed. I experienced it on my(sold) Ranger too when I was coming down off of a good run as well, that one was worse because I had just come off the pad and it started slapping side to side.............you get the picture.
    Last edited by keefallan; 07-27-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Several guys have cut pads in on those GT150's. They really are a miserable ride over about 45-50 mph with a stock bottom. I had a "James Bond" clone with a 135 and it was no fun at speed. Ron Pratt (alaskastreamin on here I think) is building one now with a pad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbs, yes - easy once you know where to look 1978 and 1979 140's. These are the biggest 1 3/8" ones ever used and they are huge compared to the 115's 1 3/16" ones. No on the pad. I really don't want a 60 mph boat out of this. I did redesign the transom with very strong knee bracing and used 100% Epoxy and 1708 fabric for all bonds and joints throughout the rebuild. You may have missed the part where I have owned my current Allison/Merc Promax SS for 20 years now so pads and balancing to avoid chinewalk are skills I learned many years ago. I've owned almost 20 pad-V's since 1986.

I want this little GT to jump on plane quickly and if it does 56/57 at the other end, fine.

1 3/8" on left.....1 3/16" on right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8.jpg   9.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 5/16 is the other size and get the 3 jet versions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are the carbs I have. They are really close in size...........that's why I have used them. Yeah, those 1-3/16 are before the hp ratings changed in 1984/85. All the 1990's 112/115's had the 1-5/16 carbs.......pretty sure of that. I don't know about 85-89 years.

I didn't miss the part about your other boats............just not aware of your experience with pads/ no pads. Here's the deal though...........I fully expect you to have 60mph boat when you come out of this. If I got 53 out of a 16' Cajun(heavier center console) no pad and a crappy SST2 prop on a bone stock 112 special? Your gonna have a 60mph boat.......maybe a bit more....I think more

8. Likes FMP liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4