Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taylor Customs Stiletto PROP SETUP HELP!!!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and boating, as this is my first boat. I came across a 1979 Taylor Customs Stiletto, tunnel 21' and it has a 1995 Merc 225 offshore, but no prop. What prop do you recommend? I need to buy something and dont want to waste a lot of money trying, instead looking for input from some experienced boaters. Thanks for any info.

Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always tell people to start with used Trophy props. Not the best at anything but decent at everything and a cheap baseline. 26-28?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Trophy's too. If your plan is to haul friends and family and ski, wakeboard or tube I would run something smaller like a 23-24.
    Post some pictures of your new ride

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update!!!!! Help needed!!!!

Ok, here are some pics of what I have. Like I said in the start of this thread, I am new to this boating game and am trying to learn and take advice. I appreciate all of your input more than you know. So, here is a rundown of my journey so far..........I bought this and it has the 1995 3.0 225hp merc, with a 25" mid section, and stock lower unit 1.75RH. I put a 25 pitch, not sure what prop, no name, but can see in pics, three blade, and took it out once. Did not gps it, but seemed around 60. Came out of the hole not very good. The prop shaft center was 7-3/4" below the pad. When I started I would trim down and then gradually trim up during acceleration, if I tried to accelerate too fast, waiting on the trim the boat would start to do a side to side walk until the trim came up and then it smoothed out and was nice. Talking to a local guy, he said that I need everything up.......so I went on the search and found a 20" mid, and a sporty 1.75 rh in Florida, and I am in Oregon, so it cost a little to get....but I am on a mission to do things right. I put it on, 5/8" above pad, and purchased a Hill drag 4 28 pitch, on the recommendation of Ron Hill, $900 with hub kit. Went to the lake, and as I got to about 4800 rpm and gave throttle to get to the max rpm of 55-5600 the prop would easily blow out and motor would over rev, boat sucks ass coming out of the hole. When I turned, prop would blow out too, if I was not careful. The most I got was 60 on gps. So, I then talked Mazco and he recommended I lower the engine back down, and also said I needed a 3 blade 26 pitch, not 4, and at that rpm would do 72-74. NOW I AM GETTING CONFUSED A LITTLE.....also, when I let of throttle from upper speed, the boat walks side to side, weird feeling....Now taking Mazco advice, I lower down 1-1/2" so this puts me about 7/8" below the pad, went to the water. Now top GPS is 57 at 5500-5600 rpm, still sucks out of the hole, and does that weird decelerating thing, also have to play with the trim alot. So, my question is.......do I just save my time and money and dump this boat now......or am I just way off on the setup. It is a twin tunnel hull so I was expecting more. I build performance jet skis for a living and have standups that will smoke this thing on top end, no joke. HELP!!!!!!!

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat3.jpg   boat2.jpg   boat1.jpg   boat4.jpg   boat5.jpg  

Last edited by WaterdawgKustomz; 08-20-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious. I put your numbers in a prop calculator and got 29 percent slip. 10 would be reasonable. I don’t think chasing low slip numbers is worthwhile, but a big number says something is off.

How much trim are you needing at 60 and how high is the rooster tail?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Curious. I put your numbers in a prop calculator and got 29 percent slip. 10 would be reasonable. I don’t think chasing low slip numbers is worthwhile, but a big number says something is off.

How much trim are you needing at 60 and how high is the rooster tail?

Thanks for reply. Lots of trim and big rooster tail, probably eight feet tall and long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a video and will screen shot a pic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A99D4FFF-37FB-47A8-9AC2-D2B87FBEF22E.png  

9. Likes Baker343 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy Bob's 2" setback spacers and a 26 trophy.
    Your center sponson is semi rounded for ride comfort and recreational boating. Performance is mostly flat 10" or so.
    Stokers ect. Mine has been up side down a bunch (before I bought it) and me trying to fix the damage of a 34 year old former Mov-VP hull.
    Try to run your LU 1" below and work your way up to even and maybe slightly above.
    Try having someone sit in the back opposite of you when your testing. It work for me with my 85 18.6 Baker similar bottom to yours.
    Last edited by Baker343; 08-21-2020 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s faster if you can carry the bow with less trim. More setback and or a prop with more lift as Baker343 says above. Because I am a cheapskate, I would try a $300 used Trophy. Having someone sit in the back is a free way of moving the Center of gravity back. Lower prop gives more lift but adds drag. Trade off.

i hate to ask, but could your boat be waterlogged? Plenty of old boats are.
    Last edited by David; 08-21-2020 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker343 View Post
    Buy Bob's 2" setback spacers and a 26 trophy.
    Your center sponson is semi rounded for ride comfort and recreational boating. Performance is mostly flat 10" or so.
    Stokers ect. Mine has been up side down a bunch (before I bought it) and me trying to fix the damage of a 34 year old former Mov-VP hull.
    Try to run your LU 1" below and work your way up to even and maybe slightly above.
    Try having someone sit in the back opposite of you when your testing. It work for me with my 85 18.6 Baker similar bottom to yours.
    So when you say Trophy, do you mean a Mercury Trophy plus 4 blade? I dont see just a Trophy. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s faster if you can carry the bow with less trim. More setback and or a prop with more lift as Baker343 says above. Because I am a cheapskate, I would try a $300 used Trophy. Having someone sit in the back is a free way of moving the Center of gravity back. Lower prop gives more lift but adds drag. Trade off.

i hate to ask, but could your boat be waterlogged? Plenty of old boats are.
    I am pretty sure the boat is dry, but you never know with old boats for sure. What about the 3 vs 4 blade prop? Would I be better off with a 3 blade?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before there was the Trophy Plus there were Trophies. Not terribly different Both are cost efficient all round props. All things being equal a 4 blade has more blade area and will carry the bow better. Things are never equal. At one point I owned a 26 Hoss Hyperdrive with more lift than the 24 Trophy that I also had. But the Hoss was worked for more lift. I have never tried a Tempest but they are supposed to carry the bow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before there was the Trophy Plus there were Trophies. Not terribly different Both are cost efficient all round props. All things being equal a 4 blade has more blade area and will carry the bow better. Things are never equal. At one point I owned a 26 Hoss Hyperdrive with more lift than the 24 Trophy that I also had. But the Hoss was worked for more lift. I have never tried a Tempest but they are supposed to carry the bow
    I agree. And actually the tempest is a better bow lifting prop than the trophy is , tempest is also almost 15in. 14 5/8 i think it def had better bowlift, but once I had my trophy worked for my boat , it works good