Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...are omc rods hammers dave? yes they are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FugiPhotoSan ,

If they long and wide enough , axe em if they wanna let one of them carts go ..

Stephan Verdi makes killer dry-sump pumps as well .. Need Ken Blacks budget to scoop up a couple set of them jewelry pieces … It's amazing to see what they sell for on the used market … after a full F-1H20 season on em ..

Worked on my 12 rods over the weekend .. that's all I'm really waiting on to hang a couple of 225 sausage (floor sweepin's) motors together ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I probably should have started a build thread. I reckon I can do that when I hang these two motors together ... but for now ... >

Thanks again to Jason @ Tech-Line coatings for his support.

Duff Daily for making the trip back and fourth to drop off and pick up our stuff .. It's way past my turn to drive , when I learn how to retire with a pension .. I'll do just that ..
    Unless I get to drive the Vortec supercharged parts truck, then I'll go next time ..

I've known Todd Trimaldi for a few years. We were members of opposing "Outlaw-632" race teams .. so we both kind of stayed in own camps ..
    Then a couple of years ago, I saw him @ one of "Nicky two Crowns" party's he threw after winning the World and National Championships in the Shadow Pirate.

I knew Todd was in the AC + Refrigeration business. But I didn't know about his other "sideline" business of Cryogenically treating parts. I thought .. racer - AC guy, what a perfect match to understand what we as machinists ~builders need to help keep these high stressed parts working beyond what they were designed to do.

Here is the latest ... gettin loaded ..

300 below zero for a full 24 hours ..

Don't touch it .. you'll get burned .. err .. frostbit ..

I was in good company ...

If you think this process is a good fit for you .. give him a call , the motor, lower unit, etc , etc .. you save , may be your own ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could he help us save Obumma for the future........like they did M. Jackson ? Cool rods.........I am thinking of lighting some 3.4 rods....... but was going to take a lot more off the small end.......OSDia.....What ya Think? What rod bolts are you going to use? Thanks....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3.0L rods are usually around 185 to 190 on the small end. And 350 ish on the big end , these are all 180 / 348.

I use Pro Marine replacement bolts. They have the dimple on each end for a stretch gauge. I have never had an issue using them.

The pins are taper wall Wiseco's . Out of the box they are not made for stock Merc / ART pistons. The only difference is they are .100" too long. I cut .050" off of each end and they are good to go ....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've known Todd Trimaldi for a few years. We were members of opposing "Outlaw-632" race teams .. so we both kind of stayed in own camps ..
    Then a couple of years ago, I saw him @ one of "Nicky two Crowns" party's he threw after winning the World and National Championships in the Shadow Pirate.

I knew Todd was in the AC + Refrigeration business. But I didn't know about his other "sideline" business of Cryogenically treating parts. I thought .. racer - AC guy, what a perfect match to understand what we as machinists ~builders need to help keep these high stressed parts working beyond what they were designed to do.
    I don’t mean to hijack the thread but yup Todd is a good guy to have in your contacts, I’ve known him for over 15 yrs and has helped me in numerous projects and we’ve done numerous projects together on motorcycles, cars and boats. I’ve Cryoed just about every part I’ve taken off or replaced on my TrackHawk, brake rotors, pads, supercharger, intercooler, heat exchanger (seen consistently lower IAT’s and IC temps) headers, mid pipes, etc. Cryoed a BBlades Blaster that I had repaired after it threw a blade and it hasn’t thrown a blade since, all my props have gone through his Cryo treatment and no failures, did my 400R prop shaft to avoid failure (and gears)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A7066AD-01FA-498B-8485-7CD33B625D77.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	474922 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B2754DB-555A-4089-9ED4-5019572416BD.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	474923
    USA

1979 Hydrostream Viking with Merc 150, sold in 84’
    2014 CheckMate 24' BRX with Merc 400R
    2017 TUFF 28 with twin Merc 300XS's
    🇺🇸 & 🇻🇪

Venezuela

Santos 18’ with 200 Black Max
    DaSilva 21’ (Shadow) with Evinrude 300 V8
    Whitby 42’ ketch S/V
    🇺🇸 & 🇻🇪

7. Likes Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's no hijack ..
    With the amount of parts you have had done over a longer period of time , mine just backs up what you said ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusajm View Post
    I don’t mean to hijack the thread but yup Todd is a good guy to have in your contacts, I’ve known him for over 15 yrs and has helped me in numerous projects and we’ve done numerous projects together on motorcycles, cars and boats. I’ve Cryoed just about every part I’ve taken off or replaced on my TrackHawk, brake rotors, pads, supercharger, intercooler, heat exchanger (seen consistently lower IAT’s and IC temps) headers, mid pipes, etc. Cryoed a BBlades Blaster that I had repaired after it threw a blade and it hasn’t thrown a blade since, all my props have gone through his Cryo treatment and no failures, did my 400R prop shaft to avoid failure (and gears)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A7066AD-01FA-498B-8485-7CD33B625D77.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	474922 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B2754DB-555A-4089-9ED4-5019572416BD.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	474923
    I got a prop I liked but throwed 3/4 of a blade , can it be fixed and treated and run? Just curious, I thought it was a lost cause?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes shouldn’t be a problem, my Blaster threw 1/2 a blade and BBlades fixed it right up, a good prop shop should be able to fix yours I would think. Cryoing it just makes that much stronger.
    USA

1979 Hydrostream Viking with Merc 150, sold in 84’
    2014 CheckMate 24' BRX with Merc 400R
    2017 TUFF 28 with twin Merc 300XS's
    🇺🇸 & 🇻🇪

Venezuela

Santos 18’ with 200 Black Max
    DaSilva 21’ (Shadow) with Evinrude 300 V8
    Whitby 42’ ketch S/V
    🇺🇸 & 🇻🇪

11. Thanks Merc 2.5 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ain’t fer shur bowt dem frozn bits n bobs. Kinda thinkin the typa feller who goes to that extent is covering all his bases anywayz so I ain’t convinced the ice does a whole lot. Cuod be off base tho, ain’t no expert just siphoning the consept is all
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have a cold .. and an old Jewish lady give you a bowl of chicken soup .. you ask , will this help .. she'll probably tell you .. It can't hoyt ..

If no one doubted the concept. Didn't believe it really worked .. and just went along, or just went away .. I'd think everyone would just rather play with their phone .. or watch paint dry.

I was skeptical at first , myself ..

Maybe the Luftwaffe would waste their time searching for that last bit of an advantage when they used it.
    But I don't think McCulloch would have Chryo'd every saw blade link , and kept it quiet , if it was a waste of time .
    Nor would the aircraft industry .... or NASA .
    Maybe us sceptic's are just smarter that they are ..

Why are forged rods preferred over billets .. the grain flow (or alignment) rolls around both ends instead of being sheared off by a milling process ..

From BME's website:

"Following extrusion, BME’s die-forging process shapes the aluminum and compresses its grain structure by heating it to 700°F then applying pressure of 2200 tons. Compared to rods which are cut out of ordinary flat stock, Bill Miller Engineering's forging process: 1) enhances grain flow and increases grain density, 2) forces the grain of the extrusion into the connecting rod shape and, more importantly, aligns that part of the grain which makes up the rod's tapered beam with the direction of highest stress the rod will sustain and, 3) forces the grain around the rod bearing bore, creating a "hoop stress" phenomenon which provides maximum strength for the limited cross-section available at the rod’s big end."
    https://www.enginelabs.com/tech-stor...et-steel-rods/

Google is your friend . Chryogenics , Martensite layer , grain alignment , history of cryogenics , heat treating, artificial aging ... read up on where it came from and how it's used to day.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...-visible-real/

Racers and machinists preferred junk yard blocks that were "seasoned" over new ones. They only knew that they machined better and kept their tolerances longer .
    In a stroke of pure , simple genius, it dawned on someone that those blocks sat out in the freezing cold northern winters for a few years .. and nothing else.

Another process I have used in the past .. and will use on my 3600cc powerheads is to strap the rods down to a meta-lax table .. I have seen where there was a crank on the table and what the meter read , two hours later .. less than half was recorded.
    Where did that come from .. the Ford factory. The blocks that were stored closer to the rail road tracks , also machined better and kept their tolerances longer.

https://www.bonal.com/meta-lax/metal-stress-relief.html

Lots of technology out there for us to use. A lot of it comes from military hardware. Just put your cell phone down for a day .. how did you live without it before...???
    More importantly, why didn't you invest in the early stages of cell phone development ... yep , until you realize it's value, it's no better than chicken soup .

14. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout, LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I probably should have started a build thread. I reckon I can do that when I hang these two motors together ... but for now ... >

Thanks again to Jason @ Tech-Line coatings for his support.

Duff Daily for making the trip back and fourth to drop off and pick up our stuff .. It's way past my turn to drive , when I learn how to retire with a pension .. I'll do just that ..
    Unless I get to drive the Vortec supercharged parts truck, then I'll go next time ..

Here is the latest ... gettin loaded ..

300 below zero for a full 24 hours ..

Don't touch it .. you'll get burned .. err .. frostbit ..

I was in good company ...

If you think this process is a good fit for you .. give him a call , the motor, lower unit, etc , etc .. you save , may be your own ...

I really wish u start a detailed build thread. Im sure few things u mite wanna keep secret but would like to see_read it. O ya. Pics pics and more pics

16. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2.5 ,

I decided a while back that I wasn't gonna get to hook a U-haul trailer behind my hearse. So since I can't take anything with me , I have nothing to hide.
    Most young guys don't want to learn a trade, unless their parents make them, including mine. I did everything I could to make my son better than me in every aspect of life. He chose a different line of work and all I can do is support him.
    My wife says , sell the house , sell the shop , sell your tools , sell your toys ... lets travel ... No thanks , I still enjoy what I do .
    And since I can't take it with me , and my family could care less , all I have is my peep's on the internet to share it with ..

18. Thanks powerabout, keefallan, Hayabusajm, tnelsmn thanked for this post
    Likes Dave Strong, keefallan, LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I am most appreciative.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz you make a good case out of your efforts and I sure appreciate the nudge in my thinkin. About the only thing I can think is somehow shrnkin them bits up tighter is wut makes em stronger I guess even though they come back to normal size after kinda like a back massage for metals maybe? Squeeze out the knots and good to go
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast