Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    Bull****!

They had no choice.
    The EPA thought the OB biz was like automotive w/deep pockets so they could rape em all they wanted.

They went DI or didn’t sell motors.
    The EPA rules were gradually phased in until 2006, starting with model year 1998. Look at table 1 at the last page of this document if you don't believe it:

https://tohatsuoutboards.net/documen...-standards.pdf

Mercury launched the DFI and OMC launched the FICHT in 1996, i.e. long before the EPA rules were in force. They could have waited, but they rushed the products to market, likely because both were trying to beat the other guy.
    <object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

2. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Care to back that up? If so, minimal at best.
    In every single test I have seen that has compared Mercury Optimax against other engines, it has consistently been the most fuel efficient. That has been in comparison to FICHT/Etec, HPDI (which was the fuel hog of the trio, btw), as well as every 4-stroke.
    <object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so 4 strokes are cheap? And they are not heavy? Trouble free? The new Mercs are good looking?
    That is not what I said. Read my post again. I said that the Evinrudes had no meaningful advantage in those areas.

That is where marketing comes in. You have to break the stigma.
    That is not how marketing works. You need to have some kind of benefit to explain to your potential customers that differentiates you from competing alternatives. When you have to resort to low carbon monoxide emissions and long service intervals, you are in trouble.<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Markey .. Where was the Evinrude plant in Norway .. ?

Evinrude was an AMERICAN , just as I am . I was born here , but my great Grandmother had the courage to come here and start a family in the 1890's . She was an AMERICAN too. We have a whole segment of our population that are pure left~tard. They don't respect our laws , our rights , our flag or our language . Yes we are stuck with them , but they are also AMERICANS .. !

Come to think of it , if it wasn't for AMERICANS you would be an outpost of the Reich and speaking German right about now .. don't take my word for it , ask your elders.

When Mr. Evinrude was alive , he worked hard to get where he was. We call it "living the AMERICAN dream" . Clemick and Evinrude , ELTO , a few other tries went under early on . Ralph was handed a way to prosper . Like his father he made and lost and remade a personal fortune . The company suffered thru a lot of bad choices along the way .
    When
    J. Armand Bombardier ran
    BRP ( he was North American ) he oversaw all aspect's of the company. His kid and then son-in-law thought they wanted to be in charge after the old man passed.
    They were already rich , putting their life into the company was more than likely in the way of acting rich so they took their eye off the ball .
    With Jets and trains destined to be sold thru-out the world , the hired in bosses bought some company's for pennies on the dollar . With no real skin in the game to see them become successful , they just let them run on until they became a problem. Look at their line-up . Does it look like they are banking on it to put food on the table , or just letting a bunch of new wave design engineers that have no practical knowledge of repairing or using their products in day to day use run the show ? The result , they build a lot of expensive stuff that not many people really want . I would expect to see more of their line - up dropped down the road when they happen to notice haw bad they leak money .
    Although we don't believe in monarchy's . We call it the "Strong King - Weak Prince"
    syndrome. To them , they say .. it's only outboard motors , who cares ? We own the patents , technology and tooling . We can use some of that in other area's and look good to the stockholders .. besides , we can sell off the junk we don't want . So we can justify upping our end of year bonus … We're so smart ..
    You pretty much summed it up there.

There is a Dutch saying called "from clogs to clogs in three generations", and a Chinese saying called "from barefoot to barefoot in three generations"<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF is all the PRESENT crap? Can't we just talk about Evinrude? Obviously some of us aren't in on the joke. Unless it's some sort of emoji that my phone isn't showing...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we only just got the E tec 3 cyl 150 to finally see a 2 stroke that beats a 4 slug in all areas
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-30-2020 at 02:55 AM.

8. Likes loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I still can't fully accept that Evinrude is gone after 110 years. The three-cylinder E-TEC engines were spectacular. I tested the 140 and 150 and they were little beasts. I was getting set to publish my full article on those too. What a shame. But BRP had to do what they had to do, and I can only hope somehow there might be a future for Evinrude at some point, and in some way. I'm sure we will see some good things from the new partnership with Mercury.

Everybody at Evinrude has always been first-class to me and they've always made sure I was invited to their press events for the sake of everybody here. I met Karl Sandstrom way back in Key Largo in 2006. Priceless memories and I could never thank them all enough. I still have the Micky Mouse fishing pole set I won at that press event for catching the smallest fish that day.

I have tens of thousands of photos I've shot at the Evinrude press events over the last 15+ years and I'm thinking of putting many of them all into a huge gallery here. I suppose those photos might be seen in a different context at some point.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

10. Thanks JBS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO YOU DON'T!!!

Will you get off of the Boeing bull$hit? Did you not read .... Comprehend my last post???

"My income is down. But boat sales are doing fine."

That tells me you don't know a DAMN thing about boat sales, economics, the stock market, trends, etc!!!

Boats are a LUXURY!!! NOT a NECESSITY!

Dictionary dot com might help with that.

You're right Forkin. Quick Google box search on 2020 boat sales below. Yes, boats are typically a luxury, but when so many other options are taken off the table, the luxury of a boat may become much more attractive. One last time, I understand many/most businesses are suffering negative consequences from covid, but boat sales seem to be doing fine. My son sold 2 boats yesterday. These aren't the 15k oldies most of us deal with, more like 100 to 250k saltwater rigs, used.

Search results...
    Nevada-based Boulder Boats, which operates a dealership in Visalia, claims new boat sales up 34% year over year, used boat sales up 58%, and February 2020 gross receipts for the dealer group is up more than 50% for the same period last year.

Another....

Some US boat dealers note sales uptick despite Covid-19

By*Craig RitchieApril 02, 2020

Interest rate cuts and low fuel prices said to drive interest in boating as a means of social distancing

I haven't looked very hard. Those are a couple quick notes. And based on talking with people in the industry, I believe boat sales are doing well, inspite of covid. That's all I'm saying Forkin. Nowhere on dictionary.com does it state that all businesses must suffer simultaneously.

Take note of the lack of personal attacks. I wish you the best.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

12. Thanks engineermike thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    And we only just got the E tec 3 cyl 150 to finally see a 2 stroke that beats a 4 slug in all areas
    And there is still more tech that could be put into the Evinrude Clean Stroke to further the advantage over the four stroke.

14. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    And there is still more tech that could be put into the Evinrude Clean Stroke to further the advantage over the four stroke.
    BRP turbo e-tec sleds...and know plenty about blowers

16. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    BRP turbo e-tec sleds...and know plenty about blowers
    That too, but something else as well .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Power ~ FuMP ,

They couldn't sell the ones they had .. now you come up with even more bizarre , out in left field idea's on design and sale's gimmicks …

I asked who had plans of buying a brand new e-rude this or next year .. I noticed no one said .. Me That includes the two of yazz …

Did either one of youz two happen to buy a new e-rude in the last decade ???

Still wonder why they locked the doors ??? Duuuuu ..

If only they listened .. and offered a flex fuel / dropped cylinder / supercharged / compound micro enturbolated / five cylinder two stroke with internal and external balance shafts .

Maybe call it the …. "Westbend NorthStar Gee Ole it's CARB legal SuperStroke"

Sales gimmick .. It may be heavy and ugly , but it sure is slow .. ehh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a lighter note......anyone here know that Ole Evinrude actually stole the whole outboard idea while apprenticing/working for Henry Miller in the late 1890's ?
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I heard he liked ice cream and women....They both were the impetus for his creation. Oh, and he didn't like rowing either.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)