Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 Skeeter SK1700 Porposing

I've got an 89 Skeeter SK1700. (17'10" bass boat)
    Last season I ran an 85hp motor that really wasn't enough for it. It struggled to get on plane, but once it did, I could get 30 out of it and it was smooth as could be.

Last fall I picked up a 150hp motor and an 8" jack plate. (and hydraulic steering)

I just got the motor running properly, and set the motor to 3.5" below pad. I took it out and it really struggled with a 21P prop to get on plane. I would have to actually turn left for about half a circle to get enough RPM to get it to get up on plane. Once it nosed over, if I'm in a or out of the throttle or just trying to cruise at say 30ish it Porposes badly. While messing with it I was trimmed all the way up, and was working on trimming down when I gave it some throttle and I literally had everything but the motor out of the water. It was VIOLENT.

I pulled it out of the water and raised the jack plate an inch and it improved both the holeshot and the porposing. Looking at where it is set now, I don't know if I dare go much higher at this point.

I have a water pressure gauge I'm working on installing, but it's not in yet.

How high can I safely go? Will going higher help? Or is it a leverage thing and the jack plate is actually causing my issues? The 85hp was smooth, I'm really surprised at how badly things were with the 150.

Once I was past the Porposing, it would run 51mph at both Pad to prop depths I ran.

Honestly I was hoping it would spin a 23P. As it sits right now... If I put another person in the boat and a livewell full of fish, I'm not going to get on plane.

Any advise would be welcomed! Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What prop is it ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I wrote this post and was out I had a 21P aluminum on it. Right now I have a 23P Ballistic on it, but I've found some motor running issues that I'm trying to track down.

I had it up on plane with the Ballistic, but it was rough water once I got out of the bay I was in... and I found the case halves leaking. I resealed them and now it actually runs worse..... I think I shook some gunk loose in the carbs. So I'm going to pull them down and verify the jet sizes. It's running VERY rich, with white smoke.
    Plus side... I found it has .040 Wiesco Pistons and Boysen reeds in it. So I guess splitting the case wasn't really a "bad" thing.

I'll update this post after I get it running properly and on the water again. I also will be picking up a 24P Raker from a buddy and I scored a 25.5 reworked Raker off FB Marketplace. Man I love when People don't know what they have... that 25.5 was $50!