Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etec engines

Looking for my first fishing boat. Trying to research the more common outboards available since it is obviously the most expensive component to replace on a boat. Found a nice boat that is a 2016 with an etec engine. Want to get some real world opinions on them. Found nothing but bad stuff on community.evinrude.com and consumeraffairs.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G1 or G2 ? and what horsepower?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    115, I would assume a G1 based on how it looks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just retired my 2006 115 Etec.
    I’m the second owner. The original owner got a complete power head replacement under warranty due to a bad crank bearing.
    In the 8 years I’ve had the motor I’ve replaced both fuel pumps & the trim pump motor twice.
    I’ve also had an ongoing issue with the motor not reaching WOT rpm......it quite often comes up a few hundred rpm short then it’ll light up, like a switch got turned on. I’ve had a BRP tech and a BRP district rep run complete diagnostics on 3 separate occasions yet the problem has never been positively identified......we’ve got ideas but I’m not interested in chasing gremlins.
    This boat typically goes into service as soon as the ice goes out (or gets dropped on the ice and melts through) and is taken out of service usually with ice attached. It hasn’t had an easy life and I can say it has never left me stranded. In snow storms, at temps well below freezing it has always got me home.
    I know many who have Etecs (smaller units & V-6 models) and are quite happy with them.
    Most issues I’ve heard of have been with V-4’s
    Would I buy another one? No.
    These are my experiences......just my 2 cents.
    Best of luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ran a 115 HO for 6 years with no trouble at all. Changed the plugs once but the old ones looked good. Changed the gear oil twice and the fuel filter yearly. 2016 would be Gen 1. Etec maintenance is a lot easier then Merc 200XS maintenance.

Our 115 replaced an old school 100 GT. About 10 mph faster with a big prop and it would pull my 210 lb brother out on one ski with a ski prop. The 100 would not pull me out on one ski at 180. So I lost weight. My brother said it’s easier to buy HP than lose weight

We liked the 115 enough to upgrade to a 150 HO

6. Likes LMT383, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    We ran a 115 HO for 6 years with no trouble at all. Changed the plugs once but the old ones looked good. Changed the gear oil twice and the fuel filter yearly. 2016 would be Gen 1. Etec maintenance is a lot easier then Merc 200XS maintenance.

Our 115 replaced an old school 100 GT. About 10 mph faster with a big prop and it would pull my 210 lb brother out on one ski with a ski prop. The 100 would not pull me out on one ski at 180. So I lost weight. My brother said it’s easier to buy HP than lose weight

We liked the 115 enough to upgrade to a 150 HO
    What makes you say that they are easier to maintain than a 200xs?

One thing I would be cautious about. Certain parts can be super expensive such as injectors, EMM etc. Built in voltage regulator to the EMM etc.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling the plugs on the 200XS ROS is a pain in the ass. I pull them to fog the cylinders in the fall. Etec plugs are much more accessible and I can leave them for three years. It self fogs. I change the 200XS lower unit oil yearly. Every 3 years in the Etec. I can hook up a garden hose to the Etec to run it in my driveway. The 200XS water pump is a consumable. Evinrude water pumps last.

But if you want solid mounts and a gear case that can surface, then it’s Mercury.

I have a 200XS on my Allison SS2000. Our family J Craft ski boat now has the 150 HO

9. Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 08 etec that I’ve had for 2 yrs engine wise I haven’t had to touch a thing on it, I did blow up the lower unit but that’s what sportmasters are for!
    2003 mirage ski racer with e-tec power