Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Schooling

My son was in 12th grade and had to pass the tas tests to exit high school and graduate with his class . He was tested early in his school life and was 147 IQ. He was laboring in math , he is an accomplished musician with normally that points to math skills ?? I was concerned after talking to the counselor at his high school , she was convinced his score would be no more than 35-40 and was doomed to repeat 12 th grade . Knowing his IQ level I was convinced he simply wasn’t offered the material in the public school which was top rated in the state , I bought the Tas book in math , I took a weeks vacation he was off , we sat down and attacked this issue like a job , I was amazed how much he had not be taught ..
    We studied 8 hours a day for 7 days 1 hour off for lunch , I was amazed how quick he caught on and we breezed through the book , long story short in 7 days we had brought him from a 35 point score aptitude to a score that was above 87 !!! And all it took was personal teaching ...He has a photographic memory numbers are his business and I knew if he was offered the information he would catch on and he did , soooo proud of him !!

Just my personal observation ,
    Jay

Last edited by Jay Smith; 04-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As you know, I know Jayme Smith very well for many years and he's always impressed me with just how mature he is. His musical talents are spectacular and I always felt he could really pursue that successfully if he wanted to.

I have always had a very high respect for teachers and the inherent 'thanklessness' of their job. Like any job, there are truly gifted teachers and there are lazy ones. I know a few people that were home-schooled and I think it brings two thoughts to mind for me:

1. It can highlight how some teachers really are lacking in their skills with regard to bringing out the very best in every student.
    2. Nobody knows their child better than their own parents, and naturally children feel much more secure and confident around their parents. And that also brings with it the requirement for extra discipline. But just like some teachers, some parents can also not fully understand the undertaking of home-schooling the right way. For example, I know of a particular person that was home-schooled and his parents just let him do what he wanted when he should have been learning. Not good.

I think with the right parents home-schooling can be a tremendous success. In yours and Jayme's situation, I think that's an example of it right there. Jayme is an exceptional person in every way.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

3. Likes CDave, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post , and great job !!!! With me and math , it took someone to take the time to open my eyes to algebra - once it was explained to me in a way " I got " the light came on. Again , great job.
    I have gone to find myself , If I return before I get back - Keep me here

5. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Smith,

Great job, thank you for helping your son put his head down and accomplish the task! You should be proud of yourself for the completed task! We/I enjoy your contributions to the forum.

Hammer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, I guess all he needed was some personal attention for a jump start ...

Jay

Jay @ JSRE

8. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my 13 plus years of school growing up, I went to 14 different schools. had very little help & understanding from teachers every place I went, and absolutely no help & extreme negativity at home from my parents. you have no idea how much I respect what you are doing with your son, & how lucky he is to have you.

10. Thanks CDave thanked for this post
    Likes fichrman2, CDave, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at public schooling this way.
    Just like Mercury. They produce thousands of motas every year. But they dont know what kind of boat it's going on so they make it run rich and good all across the range.
    Same with public schooling. They have to have a curriculum for such a WIDE range of kids from stupid to gifted.
    Then there's the "special" programs for the slower kid to push them thru to graduation and the advanced classes to get them into collage easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill636 View Post
    I look at public schooling this way.
    Just like Mercury. They produce thousands of motas every year. But they dont know what kind of boat it's going on so they make it run rich and good all across the range.
    Same with public schooling. They have to have a curriculum for such a WIDE range of kids from stupid to gifted.
    Then there's the "special" programs for the slower kid to push them thru to graduation and the advanced classes to get them into collage easier.

Just my 2 cents.
    When I was in HS we had a Phase system. Phase 1-3, what phase you were in depended on your grades. So the teachers had classes with students that performed on roughly the same level. I thought it was a good system.
    Must be why they did away with it.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 3rd grade teacher, 1951, that taught us that math was logic. Way before Star Trek and Spock. It stuck and math was always easy for me. But teachers that took time with students that needed it. GREAT job Jay.
    I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

1987 Glasstream 15V
    1986 Mariner "Tower of Power" 115

14. Likes CDave liked this post