Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start stop panel outboard

I am making a start stop system for my 115 mercury 2 stroke. (1990)
    The idea is: 2 buttons (green, start and red, stop). When i press the green button the startermotor should turn, until the point that the motor starts, and then the startermotor automatticly disengages.
    When the motor is turning and you want to stop it, you press the red button once and the engine stops. Off course you still need a key for safety and turn a switch, because else anyone can start it.

But my start stop system has to know when, after pressing the start button, the outboard has started, so that the the starter motor falls off. Is there a signal from the motor to the helm that changes, once the outboard start running on its own? So i can use this signal to disengage the starter motor.
    I was thinking something like the tacho signal, that changes once the outboard fires? But its not a steady 12v signal. If i want to use the tacho sender signal i would need to monitor this signal with something like a microcontroller.

This is just a little project for fun, Please enlighten me with your ideas.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32584714138.html

Something like this.

I do want to press the button, and imediatly let go, but the starter keeps starting till the engine starts. I do not want to hold the start button till the engine starts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20200401-142558_Samsung Internet.jpg  
    Last edited by killerpirate; 04-01-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is actually simple on that motor. You have an inertia style starter bendix on your starter. That means you must hold starter button, until motor starts. Then it will automatically disengage flywheel. It will not engage again until you hit start a second time. Also that motor will run all the time, you have to short out ignition, to kill motor. That key switch completes a circuit, when off to kill motor. You will always have to hold start button till motor starts, that is how it is made.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, i understand what your saying, but thats te point, i want it to keep cranking till it starts the engine, without me having to keep the button pressed. So i need a signal that tells my circuit to disengage the starter relais once the engine is running. So my question is: is there a wire on the motor that changes from low to high (or high to low) once the outboard is running. So its 0V when engine is off, and 12V when engine is running (or vice versa)

Second of all, about the inertia style starter bendix, it is annoying as hell. Because these motors can be a little hard to start sometimes, the first three times the engine only fires once, en then dies. This happens around three times and then the motor fires up. You can not keep starting till the engine starts, because on that first fire the bendix disengages and you have to twist the ignition key back, and start again. SUPER ANNOYING! any solutions on this? I prefer you can keep cranking the engine without the bendix disengaging, so you ca keep starting the engine. I assume this is some kind of safety feature? So that if you hit the starter when the engine is running it doesnt burn the starter motor?
    Last edited by killerpirate; 04-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the voltage comingfrom the rectifier? that goes high once the engine starts? Or is it already high when the engine cranks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200401-230321_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	461910

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You would need an efi motor and even then it would have to be tuned perfectly to start on the 1st try. I get what you are wanting to accomplish, but the tech was not there in 1990. Too many variables.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

6. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnt have to start on the first try, i just want the bendix to stay engaged to the flywheel if the engine fires once, and not pop back once the outboard fires once. So i dont have to turn te key back to on, and then turn it to start again. I want to keep starting as long as i have the key in the "start" position.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are talking about latching relays and unlatching them from a secondary signal. WAY too much overkill for what you are after. You also need a timer circuit in there so that it doesn't "try" to start it for 10 minutes straight if the thing doesn't crank. If you MUST do this, then buy a programmable relay with multiple inputs and outputs - basically a poor man's PLC. It's your time and your money and your motor so have fun and be safe!

Something like this would be a decent place to start... https://www.grainger.com/product/EAT...e-Relay-20JM20
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your trying to do what a modern car does with push button start theres alot more to it than latching relays and wiring, the ecm or ecu has a lot of programing for the start sequence, thers probably 20 variables starting with at what rpm the ecu/ecm uses a minimum viable cranking rpm then it looks at engine temp, inlet air temp makes a calculation for fuel,timing ect.. , there are different amonts of fuel/timing for a programed number of revolutiions and if it doesnt start in say 5 revolutions after the initial target rpm is reached it will change to another schedule and so on until it starts.. theres alot going on when you push that button on a modern car, doing that with carbs and mechanical advance would be near imposible..

10. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree on all of the above stated parameters. I was talking about the poor man's way on a 30 year old motor.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tha old $hit will not/can not do what your suggestin'... man up and hold tha button down till it starts...

13. Likes H2OPERF, Dave Strong, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooo no no, when youve pressed "start", and the outboard wont start and keeps cranking, you can always press the stop button, and then it stops cranking. You guys are thinking to difficult, i am not going to make a start/stop system. The start and stop buttons replace the turning from the ignition key. (Ignition key will be in the panel so you still need a key) Its just simple relay technology with 2 or 3 relays. (Maybe more). But again, MY QUESTION IS: Is there a wire in the motor that changes voltage from 0V to 12V or from 12V to 0V once the outboard starts???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, all i need is a signal from the motor (ie, a wire that goes from 0V to 12V once the outboard has started, or vice versa) that can tell my relay circuit the outboard has started, so i can disengage the relay behind the start stop panel that controls the starter relay. The outboard doesnt do anything else than normal. My panel will control it with a couple of relays, and all they do is tell the startermotor to turn or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killerpirate View Post
    MY QUESTION IS: Is there a wire in the motor that changes voltage from 0V to 12V or from 12V to 0V once the outboard starts???
    No....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200402-093915_WhatsApp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	461957

This is the panel, i have to find some decent Start engine and Stop engine buttons, those are difficult to find (really try it). The circles above the buttons are LEDs. This is still a concept, i have to mive rhings around because i still need drill holes voor screws

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that sucks, thanks for you answer anyway. Not a single one??��

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast