Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMC V4 Cylinders out of round ????

Started a rebuild of a 140 OMC V4
    The motor ran for a bout 3 or 4 min then blew out the possible crank / intake seems
    Prior to this the motor was honed (It was bought as a seized motor)
    Looking into the cylinders today i saw that 2 of them had an almost polished area on them just above the inlet port. This motor only ran for a matter of mins
    What may have caused this ??? It was only 2 on the same bank almost at the same point, could it be the rings catching ????
    Both pistons show no sign of damage nor do the rings (All pistons and rings are brand new)
    Once i blew the photos up i also found a ding in the plating will this grow as the engine breaks in ???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200325_184626.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	433.1 KB 
ID:	461376 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200325_184730.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	461377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	461378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	461379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	411.4 KB 
ID:	461380

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what i see the cylinder surface looks really bad. I see no crosshatch diamond pattern at all which is a result improper hone stroke, theres chatter marks and what looks like left over tool marks from the bore job. The ports have no chamfer at all and the polished area is usually from the bore being oversize. Was the honing done with a rigid hone ? it could just be oversize in the port area possible from too much time with a miniball or flex hone in the center of the bore.... Sorry what i see..
    Last edited by H2OPERF; 03-25-2020 at 05:57 PM.

3. Thanks powerabout, spybot thanked for this post
    Likes racer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hone job should have a flattened diamond pattern similar to this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160506_141326.jpg  

5. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    theres chatter marks and what looks like left over tool marks from the bore job.
    Can you point these out to me please ??
    I sent the block to a local machine shop for the honing so can't answer regarding flex hone or not.
    I will chamfer the ports but will it be worthwhile doing ? Is the bores up to the job ???

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spybot View Post
    Can you point these out to me please ??
    I sent the block to a local machine shop for the honing so can't answer regarding flex hone or not.
    I will chamfer the ports but will it be worthwhile doing ? Is the bores up to the job ???
    they need to hone it with a 4 stone rigid hone and then measure it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do as he said but ur gonna probably need to find another shop, Is it standard bore? or os already? by the time you clean up that bore it will be oversize and it most likely is oversize already from the looks of the polished area, i see this on race motors with extra piston clearances and yours looks stock so your not going to build up enough heat to need that. I could be wrong since were just looking at pics but you likely will have to go next oversize and start over to get a good bore that will last.
    Last edited by H2OPERF; 03-26-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its Standard bore as is. I will try with a rigid hone and see what happens from there on.
    Definitely going to another shop if it needs OS

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn andy them cyls are not honed bro,they would chew up a set of rings in minutes.Post #3 is what your looking for. I thought you had all 4 cyls bored and honed ? if you can even feel a finger nail grab on the hone its junk.If all the cyls have no ridge on the top a good hone will clean it up.Those motors are loose from the factory so a couple thou over aint no big deal.Ive seen 3-4-5-6-7 thou undersize factory omc pistons new out of the box and have never had a problem with them.Or your going to need all 4 bored and new pistons.Too bad ya live in Scotland brother I could bore them for ya and get ya some pistons cheap but shipping would be pretty bad.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racervboat View Post
    Damn andy them cyls are not honed bro,they would chew up a set of rings in minutes.Post #3 is what your looking for. I thought you had all 4 cyls bored and honed ? if you can even feel a finger nail grab on the hone its junk.If all the cyls have no ridge on the top a good hone will clean it up.Those motors are loose from the factory so a couple thou over aint no big deal.Ive seen 3-4-5-6-7 thou undersize factory omc pistons new out of the box and have never had a problem with them.Or your going to need all 4 bored and new pistons.Too bad ya live in Scotland brother I could bore them for ya and get ya some pistons cheap but shipping would be pretty bad.
    Hi Ken was just about to send you a pm bro. The hone job i was ripped off by time. It was ment to be a freshen up and the guy said that was all it needed
    Will try and find another shop near me. Will be hard at the present time as we are on lock down for at least 3 weeks.
    Is the chip in the nickasel going to be a problem ??
    Regarding the pistons i can arrange shipping i had one sent from Canada by DHL it cost £50 but i had to get it. So if you have access to 4 buddy i will take them.
    Back to the bad hone would it be OK to use a 3 leg rigid hone, the type that goes on a electric drill or is that just going to make the matter worse ????
    It is a tough one. I stay in the middle of no where

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ken was just about to send you a pm bro. The hone job i was ripped off by time. It was ment to be a freshen up and the guy said that was all it needed
    Will try and find another shop near me. Will be hard at the present time as we are on lock down for at least 3 weeks.
    Regarding the pistons i can arrange shipping i had one sent from Canada by DHL it cost £50 but i had to get it. So if you have access to 4 buddy i will take them.
    Back to the bad hone would it be OK to use a 3 leg rigid hone, the type that goes on a electric drill or is that just going to make the matter worse ????
    Ill send you a pm when I get a chance.We go on lock down tomorrow for 2 weeks and probably longer pretty tough on business just finishing a v-4 rebuild for a customer and bam business comes to a hault.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

13. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Likes spybot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No plating on ur cylinders they are cast iron bores , one thing if you have to go next over make sure the guy knows he has to under cut the aluminum at the bottom of the bore... the pistons go past the cast sleeve and if you dotn cut the alumium back it will cause issues

15. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    No plating on ur cylinders they are cast iron bores , one thing if you have to go next over make sure the guy knows he has to under cut the aluminum at the bottom of the bore... the pistons go past the cast sleeve and if you dotn cut the alumium back it will cause issues
    Funny how some blocks bore and don't touch the alum to the bottom floor and some do? also it depends on how big ya bore it as we know wiseco makes .064 pistons and ive seen shops not get the bore centered and I will leave an edge on one side of the alum on the bottom floor,it don't take much but when ya put it together and trun it and one piston skirt bottoms out and locks it up that's when wrenches start flying hahaha .

17. Likes H2OPERF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no 4 stone or more

19. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racervboat View Post
    Ill send you a pm when I get a chance.We go on lock down tomorrow for 2 weeks and probably longer pretty tough on business just finishing a v-4 rebuild for a customer and bam business comes to a hault.
    cant you even keep a business open by yourself as in close the door and work in your shop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    cant you even keep a business open by yourself as in close the door and work in your shop?
    no customers can bring in motors, no one will come and look at purchasing motors. Basically work on your own **** time.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast