Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C that is so Very well said and so painfully true

Capt i see you had to be force fed the garbage they call new parts these days it is such a shame that financial gain has super ceded any remote semblance of what used to be called NEW parts ,its not only in parts its every where ive been a life time wearer of Sperry docksiders i just bought a new pair that were junk and made in china

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Chaz thinkin , But will finish it for TB ...

Mr. "to go fast" ,

The reason you had no response's to your liking, probably had a bit to do with the way you asked .. Meaning you spoke only of shims, nothing about having tools or a manual. If you have done 3 lower units .. if you don't have a manual, it's good reading for the bathroom .. pages you don't like , use for ... nevermind ..
    Thanks Todd and HalfFast your answers were helpful and you put some thought into them.

Mr. Chaz,

I thought it was a simple question. I just wanted to know if any of the experts had seen a tolerance stack up that required only .005" shim.

Thanks for the response. I did it the way the manual says with the correct tools and it's somewhere between .0245 and .0255.

Actually you know me but I guess you don't remember. You learned how to put a Nic sleeve in a 280 on one of my motors. I have the factory manuals on everything I work on and buy the correct tools. I have a machine shop and know how to use it so if I can't get the correct special tool, I make it. Maybe I should have said that in the first post but didn't want to sound like I think I'm an expert. Just wanted to make that clear because it looks like Texas wants to turn this thread into a pee pee length contest.

Texas,

If you led a man to a mud puddle, don't expect him to drink...

96 Cougar 23 MTR twin 300XS's. 100 something
    98 Laveycraft Sebring 20.2 Tunnel 280 90 something SOLD
    85 Baker RST 220 Laser SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The shim stack is what it is as long as the final numbers are right.

4. Thanks luv2gofast thanked for this post
    Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    The shim stack is what it is as long as the final numbers are right.
    That's what I'm going with...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm glad to see ya learned something ..

BTW .. you take a reading at three points of rotation. Add the three numbers together and divide by three to come up with a single number average. Not a between a this or that … not splitting hairs with ya. Just stating how the manual describes the procedure.

Chaz = wunderin, where you bought long feeler blades in half thou increments above the standard .0015 starting point …

Chaz = thinkin, both Capt and Tex have done so many that you could take the number of lower you and I have done, add them together, then multiply by .. between 24.5 - 25.5 and still not come up with what each have done individually …

P.S. Tex said .. "think" not "drink" .. your welcome ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Well, I'm glad to see ya learned something ..

BTW .. you take a reading at three points of rotation. Add the three numbers together and divide by three to come up with a single number average. Not a between a this or that … not splitting hairs with ya. Just stating how the manual describes the procedure.

Chaz = wunderin, where you bought long feeler blades in half thou increments above the standard .0015 starting point …

Chaz = thinkin, both Capt and Tex have done so many that you could take the number of lower you and I have done, add them together, then multiply by .. between 24.5 - 25.5 and still not come up with what each have done individually …

P.S. Tex said .. "think" not "drink" .. your welcome ...

Sorry for pissed of post...it just sort of rubbed me wrong that you thought I was trying to do it without the manual and proper tools. To be fair you are right I didn't say that in the original post. The half thou was just a machinist poke at you, I knew you would get it. I was just about ready to take my feeler set apart and make a holder to be able to get a blade back in there. Not much room for my big hands around the gauge tool. I'm no expert on boat gearcases so I do it by the book.

I know Texas does more in a year than I will do in my lifetime (I hope). I expected Texas to be the first one to post and tell me that ether he has seen a bunch of them with .005 or never seen one like that. That was what I was looking for in the original post. I didn't need him to insinuate that I couldn't think or that I would not listen to an expert unless I heard what I wanted. Hence my mud puddle comment.

Not pissed off any more,
    Be well,
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2