Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basnova,

You should spend a few days of your Coronavirus curfew reading old posts on S&F.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, and if you continue to approach things the way you approached changing gear lube, you will break something expensive.__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, how did I approach changing gear oil improperly? Because a 32 oz. bottle wasn't enough, when many other posts on this forum said it was MORE than enough. So, apparently I DID search and read before I went to change it, but the info I came across in more than one thread was obviously NOT exactly correct. Had I had enough oil to overflow the vent to begin with, none of what I went through would have happened. Thanks for being condescending, that was sure helpful. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Basnova,

You should spend a few days of your Coronavirus curfew reading old posts on S&F.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, and if you continue to approach things the way you approached changing gear lube, you will break something expensive.__PRESENT
    Last edited by Basnova; 03-17-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    1998 Viper Coral 201
    1998 Mercury Promax 300 with Sportmaster

3. Likes rock liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basnova View Post
    And, how did I approach changing gear oil improperly? Because a 32 oz. bottle wasn't enough, when many other posts on this forum said it was MORE than enough. So, apparently I DID search and read before I went to change it, but the info I came across in more than one thread was obviously NOT exactly correct. Had I had enough oil to overflow the vent to begin with, none of what I went through would have happened. Thanks for being condescending, that was sure helpful. Sheesh.
    I was not condescending. We were all beginners at some point. I spent my valuable time trying to help you by giving you some advice that you sorely needed. It was evidently not appreciated.

It is quite clear from this thread that
    1) You really don't know what you are doing when it comes to rather simple mechanical things.
    2) You are extremely self-centered and, frankly, come across like a total ass.

For 1), you should reconsider the advice I gave above.
    For 2), you should get some kind of professional help.

__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see a helpful post on this thread from you. Just a snide comment about me spproaching a gear oil change the way I did, and suggesting I will break something expensive if I continue doing things the way I do, and now calling me an a$$. How do you think YOUR initial post came across to begin with, Oh Mighty One?

I have thanked people numerous times for their contributions, but they each offered suggestions, not insults. If you don't have something beneficial to contribute to a thread, feel free to skip to the next thread. Obviously, you have no forum etiquette in this regard. Perhaps you should go back to the beginning of the thread and read each post, then maybe you wouldn't feel you had to stick your nose in to be insulting.

Oh wait, sorry, I digress. I am a self-centered ass who knows nothing about mechanics. I guess you'll have to endure more posts/questions from me in the future. Thanks for giving me permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I was not condescending. We were all beginners at some point. I spent my valuable time trying to help you by giving you some advice that you sorely needed. It was evidently not appreciated.

It is quite clear from this thread that
    1) You really don't know what you are doing when it comes to rather simple mechanical things.
    2) You are extremely self-centered and, frankly, come across like a total ass.

For 1), you should reconsider the advice I gave above.
    For 2), you should get some kind of professional help.

__PRESENT
    1998 Viper Coral 201

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Markus.. you've been a member here for almost 20 years and me 12 years and we still dont know how to have proper etticute . Shame on us. Hee heee

7. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I USE the qt. bottle with the spout, razor the end, stick it in fill hole and roll it up like a toothpaste tube. strong hands help. only at the very end, i get oil at the vent. about 28 oz does it. motor level start to finish. save the bottle with the spout . takes 10 min,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    I USE the qt. bottle with the spout, razor the end, stick it in fill hole and roll it up like a toothpaste tube. strong hands help. only at the very end, i get oil at the vent. about 28 oz does it. motor level start to finish. save the bottle with the spout . takes 10 min,
    Wow, yours takes quite a bit less than mine does. If I'd have known that mine took more than the 32 oz. bottle I got to begin with, I would have gotten two to begin with. I wouldn't have been caught off guard, and it likely would have taken no more than 20 minutes for me, changing it for the first time.

Out of curiosity, what make/model lower end do you have?
    Last edited by Basnova; 03-24-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    1998 Viper Coral 201

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.5 PMAX with a bobs lwp. 1.87

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After scanning these posts... I still could not find the definitive answer. Have a 2007 sportmaster on 300XS.
    1. Level the LU, fill until it comes out the top vent hole?
    2. Drain until empty, and only add what the dealer says is the oil capacity (in my case they said 28 oz., but others on here said their manual for the same says 24 oz.)

I filled my other older merc lowers to the weep hole, but the sportmaster is new to me. I thought at 28 oz, it would come out the top hole, but a full 32 oz bottle did not get it there.

All this reading, and still getting mixed answers. "Filling to the top can blow the seals, especially shifter seal". "Not filling to the top can allow the driveshaft upper bearing to run dry".....

??????

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4