Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Sport help

I'm new to performance boats and I'm having trouble with learning to drive this boat. My set up is as follows 94 Grand Sport ski with 20" 280 ROS. It has a two hole CLE gearcase with a nosecone added and a torque tab with a 14.5x28 hoss Triton prop. 9.5 inch jackplate set at 1/2" below the pad. It has one battery on the port side. I have read the red book and have tried to apply it to learning to drive. When the boat reaches 60 mph it starts to walk but also tries to dart to the left or right. No matter how much I try to compensate with the wheel it just gets worse until I just slow down. I guess my question is does my setup sound like it is good? If so what may I be doing wrong in my driving? Any help and advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same learning curve in my ss. It sounds like your over reacting with steering as the boat tries to climb on the pad. Try to fight the urge to counter steer and just throttle thru. Also where is your trim set? If the bow is to low it will want to bow steer magnifying the chine walk.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whaaaaaat the trim is neutral or level with the pad when it starts the wobble. I got the boat late last summer and the engine blew after about four times out. I just got it back together and trying to get some seat time. I'm sure it's more me than the boat!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 4 blade prop would also help some. My boat feels more stable with 4 blades. It took me a few tanks of gas to figure out how to get it up on the pad. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for it but I finally resorted to taking a couple shots of liquid reaction time reducer before I finally got it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a little liquid courage!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned to drive my SS2000 with a 200 lb brother as ballast. It was easier to drive with some weight. If the engine is too low they are tough to drive. Small pitch, smaller diameter 4 blade props are easier to learn with. I have a 24 Drag 4 that is very forgiving. Patience. It just takes time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like your engine might be too low and I would also try another prop like a 28 ChopperII or a 28 ET. Once you have those mastered then try a 30" of either one.
    You should be even with the bottom or above up to 1/2". For solo you need at least 40# of lead buckshot [bagged] in the compartment beside the passenger seat up front.
    Do not ever dump the throttle with out trimming down first.
    When you engine is too low it will cause severe wobbles, so raise the Gearcase until the wobble stops.

Make sure that you never climb into this "100 HP" vehicle with your attention divided and making you a "90 HP Pilot" or you will get wet.

If you see me at one of the outings [like the March 5th Suwannee run] and I will help you with your new toy.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

8. Likes Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    run engine height at 1/4 below the pad if you still have a lip on the pad,, you will have to run higher engine height if there is no lip,,,,as for learning to drive it hold pressure on the steering wheel to the left and use only small turns to the right to balance the boat,, best way to learn is to learn to drive it at slower speeds only increasing rpms after you learn at that rpm, if you have not learned yet letting off is just as important as getting up to speed when you let off turn the wheel to the left and slowly let off hope this helps,,,Ps once you learn how to drive her you will have a hard time making it act the way it is acting now lol

10. Likes Whaaaaat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good tips here, OP. Learning to drive an Allison is tough, but once you get it, it's second nature. You probably have the worst prop of any to learn on. I'd suggest a Hydromotive quad 4 in a 26-28p. Much less agressive propeller, loved it on all my Ally's. With the motor you have, 30p is unnecessary, and harder to drive. If you can find a 22-24p, that would be an ideal learner prop, and can be used for pulling tubers/skiiers. That Hoss is a fantastic prop, but forgiving it ain't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hoss is a piece of cake once you are used to it. But I think my 24 drag 4 is easiest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The Hoss is a piece of cake once you are used to it. But I think my 24 drag 4 is easiest
    No argument there. My main wheels were always Yammie drags, cut Merc choppers. I tried a buddy's Hoss (can't remember which one, and got a real shocker as the thing kept lifting as I accelerated. Thing was a beast. But like I said, if you can't keep the boat steady, a Hoss will beat on ya. A nice over/through 4 blade is a good learner. My favorite overall on my Allison's was a chopper 2 that Hydromotive did his infamous knob cut on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jr is right. the centerline of the prop should be at 1" below the pad. go up from there. my voyager run even with the pad at 80 mph.