Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda outboard mods?

Hey, here to do some info searching.
    If you are like me you own a 18' bayliner trophy that has no business being on scream and fly and is powered by a Honda 150. It isn't fast, it isn't agile, but its fuel efficient and hauls the family. It is also great at driving its owner crazy by trying to have it decked out with all the amenities all while hitting 50 mph. Woo-Hoo fast I know........

Now to the meat of the conversation.

Are there any persons on this forum as my self that love to dump too much time and money into a slow boat trying to make it go faster? If so we need to talk.

Has anyone seen on anyone modding these Honda outboards?
    Doing things such as, ported throttle body, opened up exhaust, cams, gear case mods, custom tuning, ect. ?

Laugh now, but these may all be viable options as the KA24 is a very proven & durable engine. Thanks for any info you guys may have!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS 50 shot .
    Last edited by FMP; 02-14-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Better make it wet

3. Likes kellytheaker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HaHa this is a crazy thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    NOS 50 shot .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Honda is the smallest displacement 4 stroke on the market........I’ve had lots of folks ask about performance improvements for them but none that I’m aware of.......the hull may very well be your major limiting factor!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olypopper View Post
    The Honda is the smallest displacement 4 stroke on the market........I’ve had lots of folks ask about performance improvements for them but none that I’m aware of.......the hull may very well be your major limiting factor!
    This isn’t a post asking how to make my boat faster. I know what my limiting factors are and I will always push them, until there are no more options.

This was simple a post looking for guys who have experience playing with these Honda’s. I know there is some one out there. And if not I guess I may be the first and will have to post my experiences.
    These motors can push a ton of power in the NA automotive field so I know there can be improvements made in the marine world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the least expensive and easyist
    upgrade as far as power would be a small shot
    of juice with more fuel. Just add more as needed.
    Lol. JMO Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While based of honda car bike stuff their a bit different. Anti reversion (keeps them from sucking water in exhaust) cams being the biggest issue.

standard stuff works up the compression, fiddle with valves, cams, remap(program) computer.

just not many doing it.

as for performance the standard stuff works. Engine right height, right prop, right setback if setting back, bow angle 2 - 5 degrees lift. Proper weight reduction and distribution.

a lot of automotive mods should work. Just have to be seaworthy pieces.

biggest issue will probably be the computer iirc it’s not the automotive and completely different I.e not obd compliant probably close to the same inside

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nobody has messed with a Honda to gain performance in real world application because:

Weight, strength of the clamp assy., gear case limitations, lack of parts available and its just easier to buy a Mercury that will do what you are trying to achieve. If Honda wanted to jump into the performance outboard world, they have the technology and resources to run circles around most of their competition. Its been since the mid 80's that Honda has taken a back seat to Yamaha for "being the first to market". If you remember the ATC 250R "Honda was first out"--then the Tri-Z and Tecate, Honda was first out with a Liquid cooled big bore motocross bike-85' CR500R-then Kawaisaki, first out with rear disc break 87' CR500R, first out with performance quad 86' 250R. Honda was also the first to hit the market with their CB750 "the king"-then came the KZ900 from Kawasaki, then the 1100 maxim from Yamaha. The Honda CB400 four, the V-65 Magna and Sabre, the interceptors. Then Yamaha took over with the new release items and once Suzuki came out with the Busa to top the ZX11 it has been those two fighting for that market segment.

Yamaha made an attempt at the performance market with their SHO but it never had a gear case to compete.

With Mercury's current investment, market share, and customer loyalty today, I don't see anyone wanting to spend the money to chase this small segment of high performance business (mercury just released a 15" 60 for you).

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Nobody has messed with a Honda to gain performance in real world application because:

Weight, strength of the clamp assy., gear case limitations, lack of parts available and its just easier to buy a Mercury that will do what you are trying to achieve. If Honda wanted to jump into the performance outboard world, they have the technology and resources to run circles around most of their competition. Its been since the mid 80's that Honda has taken a back seat to Yamaha for "being the first to market". If you remember the ATC 250R "Honda was first out"--then the Tri-Z and Tecate, Honda was first out with a Liquid cooled big bore motocross bike-85' CR500R-then Kawaisaki, first out with rear disc break 87' CR500R, first out with performance quad 86' 250R. Honda was also the first to hit the market with their CB750 "the king"-then came the KZ900 from Kawasaki, then the 1100 maxim from Yamaha. The Honda CB400 four, the V-65 Magna and Sabre, the interceptors. Then Yamaha took over with the new release items and once Suzuki came out with the Busa to top the ZX11 it has been those two fighting for that market segment.

Yamaha made an attempt at the performance market with their SHO but it never had a gear case to compete.

With Mercury's current investment, market share, and customer loyalty today, I don't see anyone wanting to spend the money to chase this small segment of high performance business (mercury just released a 15" 60 for you).

Joe

This was a great point, all around good info.
    I understand anyone looking for performance on a boat Honda is about the last engine they will go with. They are great motors, very durable, but not known for being modified in the marine industry. In automotive industry the 2.4L k24 is running 400-600hp NA! So the engine is capable. But like you said gear case, swivel clamp assembly yah definitely not so capable.
    I thought I may find some one on here that’s as willing to play around with what most people leave alone as I am.
    I’m basically thinking, ported throttle body, port matched manifolds, and that’s about all your going to be able to do keep it simple and on oem fueling.
    Family first.
    Then my 1996 Bayliner Trophy 1802fj, 2012 Honda 150, Cutting edge Series 4 prop 15.125 x 20.5, 4.25” below keel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check Youtube -

I think there was some discussion here or on FB about the above particular project..
    Last edited by activator22; 02-18-2020 at 05:14 PM.

12. Thanks olboatman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by activator22 View Post
    Check Youtube -

I think there was some discussion here or on FB about the above particular project..
    well first of all this isn’t practical, second that’s not dyno’s that “theoretical” hp achievable.
    Family first.
    Then my 1996 Bayliner Trophy 1802fj, 2012 Honda 150, Cutting edge Series 4 prop 15.125 x 20.5, 4.25” below keel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Performance Mods" and "Practical" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You want practical? You've got it. Want performance? Un-bolt it and bolt a larger Merc on.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

15. Thanks kellytheaker thanked for this post
    Likes activator22, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dont be thinkin everyone being hard on u ,,they ain't. Honda just isnt in the performance market for boats , now motorcycle and atv Honda my favorite. just b careful with the hand porting , u mite b looking for stock parts to replace what u modded. But that's experimenting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    Dont be thinkin everyone being hard on u ,,they ain't. Honda just isnt in the performance market for boats , now motorcycle and atv Honda my favorite. just b careful with the hand porting , u mite b looking for stock parts to replace what u modded. But that's experimenting
    Oh I understand. Having a Honda on a Bayliner on scream in fly is always asking for some jabs haha.
    But like you said this is experimenting that I’m talking about, and 99.99% of people aren’t doing that them selves so the obvious answer is “nope can’t do it buy a merc, nope waste of time” type comments. And I get it.
    But I think also people need to realize modding some thing doesn’t mean your building a race motor. Maybe it’d be a waste of time, maybe I’d grab 1-200rpm on top. You don’t know till you try it. That’s the fun part!
    Family first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akcoastline View Post
    Oh I understand. Having a Honda on a Bayliner on scream in fly is always asking for some jabs haha.
    But like you said this is experimenting that I’m talking about, and 99.99% of people aren’t doing that them selves so the obvious answer is “nope can’t do it buy a merc, nope waste of time” type comments. And I get it.
    But I think also people need to realize modding some thing doesn’t mean your building a race motor. Maybe it’d be a waste of time, maybe I’d grab 1-200rpm on top. You don’t know till you try it. That’s the fun part!
    Ya thats the fun part , but it's like sticking a small block in a s10 with stock tranny and rear end. Just matter of time. , not sure what kinda water u run in but if it gets rough , and ur surfacing runnin hard , those clamps can give out. I'm all bout more power on anything , just be safe putting it down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast