User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Formerly Central WI/LOTO Currently PHX AZ
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Last Sunday, the air was -950 @ Daytona 8:00 am ... say what ya want, that's at least 3-4 MPH fast compared to sea level or the 10 more @ +3500' that's coming this summer. Can't beat Mother Nature ..

https://airdensityonline.com/track-h...ay/2020-01-26/
    While I agree that at 8 AM the mineshaft conditions would have been nice to run in, in fact, when he ran in the afternoon it was the "worst" conditions of the day. In talking with the OP he said they were out running at 3:30 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealAltitude.png 
Views:	575 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	457535

Will it slow down in summer? We'd be silly to think not. Will it pick up speed without the whole famdamily in it and 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel today? Again, we'd be silly to think not.

I can't afford or justify the price of one either, Chaz, but I appreciate the technology and to discount people's accomplishments takes away from their fun, too.

YMMV
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroSkreamin View Post
    While I agree that at 8 AM the mineshaft conditions would have been nice to run in, in fact, when he ran in the afternoon it was the "worst" conditions of the day. In talking with the OP he said they were out running at 3:30 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealAltitude.png 
Views:	575 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	457535

Will it slow down in summer? We'd be silly to think not. Will it pick up speed without the whole famdamily in it and 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel today? Again, we'd be silly to think not.

I can't afford or justify the price of one either, Chaz, but I appreciate the technology and to discount people's accomplishments takes away from their fun, too.

YMMV
    I agree with you 110% on everything .. except
    I have spent my entire life working on other people's toys.
    And out of the 20 or so championship seasons I have been part of, I only drove for five of them. So it would go against my nature to "belittle the efforts of anyone" You won't find that from me on this thread, or any other for that matter.
    Now if someone starts a thread .. who did it the best .. this vs that, or makes a technically wrong statement. I can't help it if some get their feathers ruffled to hear the truth. Or my version of it anyway. And if/ when I'm wrong, I have no problem putting my hand in the air to admit I'm wrong, or better yet ... human.
    I wish I had someone a keyboard away from learning what I needed to know instead of learning the hard way. Maybe if it came easy, I wouldn't still have the passion for what I do. I'm old enough to where I could sit on the couch and watch cartoons. I've been hurt bad enough to where that was all I could do. So I already know that's not what I want to spend my days doing anytime soon.
    You and I could "afford" to get one or a pair of these "technical marvels" if we really wanted it/ them. But you hit the nail on the head when you said "justify" .. besides, Silly me, I just can't see myself going to the dealer to have my oil changed....

BTW .. should I post pics of the 15" 300R ... LMAO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to be an enthusiast of something that I may never experience or afford. If you could have made it generally affordable 10 years ago, It should be easier to make it even more affordable now. Guess as they say, if you get up from the table....someone else is going to sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    "Regardless, for whatever the reason, 2 strokes are done aside from a very small community of racers, enthusiasts and historians. This thread is a perfect example of why. Virtually every instance where the new Mercury V8’s replace the outgoing V6 2 strokes performance has increased. If you distill it down that’s what really matters to the vast majority of consumers."

The drive ability factor, convenience, no smoke, no noise, all of the torque, stronger case, higher height capability, 87 octane, the list goes on and on. Wait until these motors are out there with all of these benefits and making 400 hp and turning a higher rpm then current. The only guys that won't jump over are the same old schoolers that still think cast iron big blocks with carburetors are fast when in fact we are in an LS world. A lot of the past is cool and I love a bunch of it but its still the past and you will get just that "past" in most cases if you aren't willing to adapt. The only downside to the latest and greatest is $$ and its becoming unattainable for more and more enthusiast as things continue to evolve.

Bottom line is that we need to be thankful that this new product was created and that we are all present to watch it mature. Whether as an owner of them or spectator "this is a great time to be an enthusiast of performance outboards".

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I agree with you 110% on everything .. except
    I have spent my entire life working on other people's toys.
    And out of the 20 or so championship seasons I have been part of, I only drove for five of them. So it would go against my nature to "belittle the efforts of anyone" You won't find that from me on this thread, or any other for that matter.
    Now if someone starts a thread .. who did it the best .. this vs that, or makes a technically wrong statement. I can't help it if some get their feathers ruffled to hear the truth. Or my version of it anyway. And if/ when I'm wrong, I have no problem putting my hand in the air to admit I'm wrong, or better yet ... human.
    I wish I had someone a keyboard away from learning what I needed to know instead of learning the hard way. Maybe if it came easy, I wouldn't still have the passion for what I do. I'm old enough to where I could sit on the couch and watch cartoons. I've been hurt bad enough to where that was all I could do. So I already know that's not what I want to spend my days doing anytime soon.
    You and I could "afford" to get one or a pair of these "technical marvels" if we really wanted it/ them. But you hit the nail on the head when you said "justify" .. besides, Silly me, I just can't see myself going to the dealer to have my oil changed....

BTW .. should I post pics of the 15" 300R ... LMAO
    Now you are being Shifty Shiff like.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to have a pair of these on my 28 Skater. Would also love a comparison between a pair of 300X and 300R on the same 28 Skater. Has anyone gone from 300X to the 300R, on any boat ?

MDS

6. Thanks JPEROG thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Now you are being Shifty Shiff like.
    Mid, now ... my feelings are so hurt ...

I just got off the phone with the whistleblower, he said ....>

8. Likes wogi, Instigator, delawarerick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesufka View Post
    I'd love to have a pair of these on my 28 Skater. Would also love a comparison between a pair of 300X and 300R on the same 28 Skater. Has anyone gone from 300X to the 300R, on any boat ?

MDS
    Mike,
    Dave Z just bought a Doug Wright 28 with 300R's. We tested it in Florida about a month ago. I have been in Dave's 28 Skater with 300X (now your boat) a number of times. The torque of the 300R is very noticeable as compared to the 300X. The torque is 40% higher I am told. If money is not an issue, a swap is a no brainer. Better top speed, acceleration and easier on gas at cruising speeds. The 300X is an impressive engine ( I have three on my boat) but the bar was raised quite a lot by Mercury Racing for the larger boats. Two 450's would be insane and overkill on a smaller boat such as a 28 Skater.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know what those who have done a swap from something like a 300XS to a 300R or other 300 V8 think of the fuel economy comparison. At the end of the summer I bought a 25' Harris pontoon with a 300 V8. It's got the Verado (electronic) mounting system, steering, shifting, etc and 1.85 gear ratio as opposed to the 1.7? on the 300R. Although I don't have anything to compare it to I'm VERY disappointed or actually shocked at the poor fuel economy. A guy down the lake with a several year old Harris with the old 300 inline 6 supercharged Verado claims to be getting about 5 MPG when cruising, but not sure exactly how he calculates. The boat will run just about dead 50 MPH on GPS at WOT, but assuming the instant fuel flow meter is accurate, anything over 35 MPH and the fuel consumption drops below 2 MPG and at WOT it's more like 1.2 if I remember. This means my 25' Talon with dual 280's is cheaper to ride in at 60 MPH than the Harris is at 40 and I'm actually not sure that our Eliminator with dual 700's burns much more than that if the speeds are kept in the 60 or so MPH range. Probably not a good apples to apples comparison on either but under 2 MPG on a pontoon isn't at all what we were expecting.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

11. Likes wogi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Bad Brad -

I've talked to Dave a few times on the phone since his purchase - he's EXCITED !!!! Can't wait to hear more when he gets some real seat time. He's probably still cleaning that thing after the pull North from Florida in early winter

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    I'd like to know what those who have done a swap from something like a 300XS to a 300R or other 300 V8 think of the fuel economy comparison. At the end of the summer I bought a 25' Harris pontoon with a 300 V8. It's got the Verado (electronic) mounting system, steering, shifting, etc and 1.85 gear ratio as opposed to the 1.7? on the 300R. Although I don't have anything to compare it to I'm VERY disappointed or actually shocked at the poor fuel economy. A guy down the lake with a several year old Harris with the old 300 inline 6 supercharged Verado claims to be getting about 5 MPG when cruising, but not sure exactly how he calculates. The boat will run just about dead 50 MPH on GPS at WOT, but assuming the instant fuel flow meter is accurate, anything over 35 MPH and the fuel consumption drops below 2 MPG and at WOT it's more like 1.2 if I remember. This means my 25' Talon with dual 280's is cheaper to ride in at 60 MPH than the Harris is at 40 and I'm actually not sure that our Eliminator with dual 700's burns much more than that if the speeds are kept in the 60 or so MPH range. Probably not a good apples to apples comparison on either but under 2 MPG on a pontoon isn't at all what we were expecting.
    How heavy is you toon?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That guys toon is not getting 5mpg . I have a 300xs on a 20 Young CC/ Flats boat runs 80 light and it wont get 5 and 300 Verados burn more than xs My twin 300R 28 DW/ Fat Cat did seem to burn more fuel per hour than 300XS but even if it did it was way better and it was regular gas around here that is about 30% cheaper than high test..
    24 Twister

15. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capteliminator View Post
    How heavy is you toon?
    Google says 4000 lb dry with no engine, so probably in the range of 5000.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Conowingo Lake,Md-Summer Astor,Fl.- Winter.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    Google says 4000 lb dry with no engine, so probably in the range of 5000.
    I have run a series of pontoon boats from one of the most efficient pontoon hull design mfg. The mpg on all of them was horrible compared to regular boat hulls. I have run both 250XS Opti's and 300hp plus Verado's. The Optimax performed better from a mpg standpoint. Rigged right the Opti would run 30mph at 3000rpm while the Verado's would rum 4000rpm to get 30mph on the same hull. Overall pontoon boats are terrible from a fuel cost standpoint. Your way better with a Deckboat hull-
    Jim

00 Playcraft Powertoon 00/200 Optimax
    57 Trojan Sea Queen/57 Johnson 35hp
    05 J16 Carolina Skiff 93/50 Johnson
    86 Harris Pontoon 73/60 Johnson

18. Likes HydroSkreamin, Instigator, Z06man liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BRP has a turbocharged 2 stroke sled designed to retain power at high elevations.

850cc @ 4lbs boost makes 165 HPs.
    Thats 53 cu in’s fellars.

Or .85 of a liter, or .185 of a 4.6 liter V-8 4 stroke Merc.

So if we left boost at 4 lbs �� and multiplied that puny .85 of a liter X the 5.41 to equal the 4.6 liters of the Merc we’d be at 892.65 HP’s.

So while the new Merc is a way cool motor, it still ain’t a 2 stroke ��

Give a smart O/B guy (Dave Bush, Al Stoker etc) a yr @ BRP, unchained.

And yes, Chrysler and GM both were working on 2 strokes not long ago.
    The down side, that I read, was w/the needed EPA crap made it big enough they couldn’t get the hood line as low as they wanted.
    Last edited by Instigator; 02-01-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

20. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only guys that won't jump over are the same old schoolers that still think cast iron big blocks with carburetors are fast when in fact we are in an LS world.
    This may be the case in the Auto world but I don`t see many if any LS motors in offshore race boats or cruisers for that matter. Big blocks still have their place. If they ever develop a big block LS type motor then all bets are off.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast