Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yamaha 1985 V6 special - Need HELP! YAMAHA EXPERTS -

Hello everyone I seem to have struck a pretty cool deal for a 1985 Yamaha V6 special. I don’t know enough about this motor although I did get it to turn over and it did start the thing is an absolute beast. With that being said I want to build something different I’ve always ran a Merc but this time I want to try the Yamaha. The issues I’m having with his motor are that it’s a two backspac I seem to have struck a pretty cool deal for a 1985 Yamaha V6 special. I don’t know enough about this motor although I did get it to turn over and it did start the thing is an absolute beast. With that being said I want to build something different I’ve always ran a Merc but this time I wanna try the Yamaha. The issues I’m having with this motor are that it’s a 25 inch shaft - is it possible to fit the midsection from other Yamaha motors or just swap them out completely? I also wanted to know if it’s possible to fit newer drives on for example the Vmax, does it even bolt up? I’d like to try and get a new midsection and keep this block since it’s and absolute unit! The motor is nuts and I’d like to preserve its power. Thanks for the help! I’d like to know as much as I can about this motor (power , rpm , durability, flaws , pros) this is a freshwater motor and was kept on a stand for 9 years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 degree 2.6 liter stuff will bolt up.

76 degree 3.1 liter stuff will not.

Keep exhaust adapter plate and exhaust pipe. You can change what is below.

From what I remember, the 220 Special had a shorter gear case with higher gearing than the later engines.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

3. Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I have done that conversion a couple of times. When thinking of the parts that I have had over the years I would say that you can bolt your block onto the following Yamaha mid sections or use any of these upper casings: V4 115, V4 130 and (2,6L) 150, 175, 200, 220, 225. As Markus already said keep the original tuner and a corresponding exhaust guide. I am running now for example a 115 L mid section in an XL 225 with the right exhaust parts and the 220 gears and pinion in a 225 lower unit (2,6L 225 lower unit is different as Markus said but the gears and pinion fit). So it is a mix of 3 different sources of parts. If you rebuild your Yamaha you will also need a shorter steering shaft, a smaller tilt bracket, a shorter gear shift shaft and of course a shorter drive shaft. Power trim and bracket design changed in the 90s but the difference can be seen easily, be careful there. I hope I'm not forgetting anything or remembering wrong :-) Go for it...

5. Likes InjectorService liked this post