Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kellytheaker View Post
    Better plan with Jr's post - read up but I agree , as much as you enjoy the open burn - a n air tight with the opportunity to open up and free burn is a great opportunity . You do need to heat the area reasonably well . Win win . I use a pellet stove from Harman and it' not cheap to run either but it can be throttled back to a minamum and enjoyed to pay for itself .
    Can't you run corn in them? As long as it is cleaned?

I have seen these. I thought they were all decoration but they put out heat too. Better to look at than a baseboard heater.

https://www.electricfireplacesdirect...SABEgJiAPD_BwE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as corn goes for pellet stoves - yes but Harmon has discontinued their line that burnt corn well and yes you can supplement a ratio of corn in a regular pellet but corn has also ramped in price since biofuel - it has become too expensive to use as well . An example is my pellet takes a 50 lb bag a day - 24 hours and that' 5- 6 bucks a day . Natural gas is probably half that . The gas appliance is hands down cheap to run and easy to vent and you can disclose it to insurance . A gas tag is required and should be . Set and forget . I know it' not open fire but it' what your plumbed for already . Just spend as much time researching and knowing a good brand that s serviced easilly . Simply frame it in - hearth it up to your liking - hers too and put the tv above it . Enjoy . Nope their not super cheap either but nice addition to the home . Think about it and ask the gas guys what' the preference as far as units trouble free . Only problem I have ever had is tiny spiders that live off the CO . They are tiny and plug the orifice in the jet . Clean it out and back to duty . Off brands can and do go obsolete quickly and parts no longer avail quick. .5 - 6 years goes quick - Starters and optic eye for shutoff are usual unavailable stuff on lower brands .requiring changing complete units and moving on . Sooo I was told . Your call - just look hard at it as we have a tendency to try and justify our initial want .Sorry Blake I'm finished my Fireside Pho Chat for the day - guys in Florida - Cali - hell allot of the US is wondering why we are even discussing this . Their out boating
    Last edited by kellytheaker; 01-14-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Correcting

3. Likes Forkin' Crazy, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't asking for a cost analysis. LOL!!! I can buy corn off the turnrow. But.... I have to clean it, or have it cleaned. I pay cash, I can get it for market price or less. I was thinking of the corn furnace being outside so I wouldn't have to deal with the dust from the ash.

I use propane infrared non-vented, but only as supplement heat when the temp drops below 45F and the schmeat pump loses its efficiency. Heat, CO2, and water vapor. And I run dehumidifiers anyway (Louisiana).

BTW as far as the electric baseboard radiant heaters... Or any heaters... Nothing is 100% efficient. A direct short is what my schmeat pump uses when it becomes "inefficient". We had a spell (coined a "polar vortex") a few years ago. When I went to bed that night, all propane heaters were turned off, I set the temp at 64F. It dropped to 17F that night, and the schmeat pump never cycled. When it dies, I will have a gas fired heater, with a 500 gallon propane tank. That should run the gen too.

RIP Jim Varney

5. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's -53°F without the windchill in Mayo Yukon right now , that air is moving south and east, make your mind up.
    Baseboard electric is the most efficient, gas less
    Last edited by FMP; 01-14-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    It's -53°F without the windchill in Mayo Yukon right now , that air is moving south and east, make your mind up.
    Baseboard electric is the most efficient, gas less
    Wind chill only happens when you are outside and have evaporation and wind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Or are dating a girl named Wendy and she's mad at you.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

9. Likes FMP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Like the exterior walls of your house. Cheaper to heat without that wind
    Sumbitch -60-70° windchill, freeze your piss in the pipe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    Like the exterior walls of your house. Cheaper to heat without that wind
    Sumbitch -60-70° windchill, freeze your piss in the pipe
    Does the piss do this?

-----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomanytoys View Post
    With electric baseboards 100% of the consumed energy is turned to heat in the space it’s called for....its kinda hard to beat that in terms of efficiency. Cost of electricity.......that’s a different story.
    A modern electric geothermal heat pump generates heat equivalent to up to about 500% of the consumed electric energy.__PRESENT
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good point Markus - i believe when a conversation comes up like heating and infrstructure we always revert to value . I believe all he wanted was a less expensive option to the 3500 insert that then took the live flame ambiance away . I jumped in on the thread as well and talked about BTU value and best recovery for dollars spent . I like you were only trying to move him past our previous mistakes in heating dficiency blunders and what we would have done better . I also like geothermal but initial costs are up there . As well I like the outside wood burners but this needs to be considered before hand - not after we commit to infrstructure of furnaces or primary appliances to heat .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same sort of difficulty you are, was looking for a cheap potbelly type camp stove/ heater for a friend's hunting camp. Unlimited wood supply and only spend 3 or 4 days there at a time. Seems the EPA now has control of wood heaters and is forcing these super efficient units, driving cost thru the roof. Next they'll be after camp fires. I'll be making my own soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    Does the piss do this?

Shootin ice cubes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    I am definitely going to look into the Pacific Energy units, I have a few emails I am waiting on to find out some more info and pricing.

I think for me it comes down to how badly I want this. (and if I can convince the wife we NEED this) It's always something I have wanted, I love fire. I checked last night and our gas bills average ~$55 / month (~$42USD). It's tough to tell exactly what they are because of their crazy averaging and estimating system. This includes my central heat, heating my hot water, clothes dryer, and BBQ. It just doesn't seem like there's a ton of room for actual money saving, I don't think the unit will ever pay for itself.
    55 a month is not that bad the only issue you will find with a fireplace insert is they are great for heating that area and thermostat is probably close or in that room. Then the rest of the house gets cold. We have a wood stove in the basement that heats the upper floor as well a insert in living room. Used the insert one time to find the rest of the house was freezing cold. Just something to think about. Few years ago had to replace the stove with new certified unit and have everything inspected to keep fire insurance. The new stove does not put out anywhere close to what the old stove did.

Dave

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I didn't think this thread would get this much attention. Thank you all for replying. I definitely need to do some more research and a proper cost analysis, both on upfront costs, and long term costs. Basically I'm looking between a high-efficiency unit such as the Pacific Energy, a cheap unit (which I did end up finding), or a Nat. Gas unit, as Kelly suggested. My other problem is the room shape, if I get a wood unit, I have to jam it in the corner, because of chimney placement. Ideally I would like it on my "back" wall but my deck is there and I don't intend to go through it with a chimney. The gas unit wouldn't have this issue.

Sidenote: Geothermal is great too, especially in more remote areas where gas is not an option and electricity costs are high (North Western Ontario). Although the upfront costs can be high, and I have seen some pretty costly issues with them as well.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    55 a month is not that bad the only issue you will find with a fireplace insert is they are great for heating that area and thermostat is probably close or in that room. Then the rest of the house gets cold. We have a wood stove in the basement that heats the upper floor as well a insert in living room. Used the insert one time to find the rest of the house was freezing cold. Just something to think about. Few years ago had to replace the stove with new certified unit and have everything inspected to keep fire insurance. The new stove does not put out anywhere close to what the old stove did.

Dave

Dave
    I don't think this should be a problem. I'm installing this unit in the basement in the far corner. The thermostat is about 2/3 of the house in the other direction and on the main level. I'm glad you brought it up though, that is definitely something that could be an issue depending on layout.
    Thanks!

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast