Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sketchy loose steering on old boat (what should I replace the steering with)

Boat is a 19' witchcraft with an old (88 or 89) 175hp OMC crossflow. It's on a 14in jackplate and also has a hideous hydrofoil attached to the ventilation plate.

Top speed somewhere over 55. Meaning that I never felt comfortable pushing past 55 (GPS) mostly just due to water conditions as I am usually in the bay in the afternoon when its getting windy. It still had some left, but probably couldn't go much over 60.

The steering always felt bit sketchy but Last time I took it out the steering got noticeably looser, with probably around 5-10 degrees of play coming from the steering rack/box when its on center. Its an old morse single cable rack (not the newer no feedback style). Though I can't find anything obviously broken I assume the gear or rack is just worn. The boat really doesn't torque steer much at all though the steering is a bit hard even though the cable is well lubricated and corrosion free. I think it has the quick ratio gearbox (3 turns or so). The steering really isn't twitchy even with all that play.

So what do I replace the steering with? I am inclined to get the current version of the teleflex no feedback single cable rack steering system or maybe the 4.2 turn rotary system. Is this a bad idea?

Is a dual cable steering system really a requirement for an old "175hp" motor like this? If so how do I mount it (do I need to find an old parallel cable mount kit)? Also what is the advantage of the parallel cable steering if both cables are mounted to the same tiller arm?

Is there an economical hydraulic steering kit that isn't absolute crap?

Thanks allot folks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update this even though I didn't get any replies. I found a good deal on a hydraulic steering system that has good reviews here from pro marine and is listed as being good for up to 350hp. There are a couple of sellers with these on EBAY in the $500 range. Might be overkill but I was going to pay about the same for a dual cable steering system once I had an adapter kit for my old engine. I am hoping it improves the steering feel on the boat which basically sucks now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overkills better than cutting corners ..
    What system is it?
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one: http://parts.promarineusa.com/produc...1/1/350-HSTEER

Yeah I came to the same conclusion, I got the same kit on ebay for about 100 bucks less.

Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    Overkills better than cutting corners ..
    What system is it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hoses are you using?

I've seen that kit..don't know anything about it or anyone who's used it but if up too 350 hp bleed well and keep an eye on it think it will be fine.
    I know people who cheap out and got the bay star system and used it with a 225 in rough water and at 80 and works.. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THAT!
    Bleed well and kept a close eye on it..

I've got the uflex silversteer system so was going to recommend that but price isnt in range

Michael

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinJ View Post
    This one: http://parts.promarineusa.com/produc...1/1/350-HSTEER

Yeah I came to the same conclusion, I got the same kit on ebay for about 100 bucks less.
    This will b my next big purchase for the bass boat , I gotta try get sum that torque off the wheel. Thanks for postin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a local hydraulic hose shop in every major city that will make hoses in any sizes and any fittings you want including 316 with swivels and angles etc they will even pressure test and certify them. Hoses in these smaller sizes are usually pretty cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    What hoses are you using?

I've seen that kit..don't know anything about it or anyone who's used it but if up too 350 hp bleed well and keep an eye on it think it will be fine.
    I know people who cheap out and got the bay star system and used it with a 225 in rough water and at 80 and works.. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THAT!
    Bleed well and kept a close eye on it..

I've got the uflex silversteer system so was going to recommend that but price isnt in range

Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinJ View Post
    there is a local hydraulic hose shop in every major city that will make hoses in any sizes and any fittings you want including 316 with swivels and angles etc they will even pressure test and certify them. Hoses in these smaller sizes are usually pretty cheap
    Oh so they are standard size fittings...
    Uflex fittings weren't I forget exactly ..but when I went to get hoses made they didn't have the fittings and to get them cost more then the hose kits from uflex..go figure..

Michael

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this part in on Friday and the quality is excellent. The shaft on the O/B end is very large and is chrome plated SS non magnetic so probably 316 and the steering shaft on the helm end is also stainless. The build quality really is great.

One thing though it is a 25cc helm which apparently will yield about 5 turns at the wheel. I am not sure if thats the size I would have gotten if I realized I had the choice. However I do tend to favor a small wheel for more knee clearance so it may end up just right, actually right now I am using 9in diameter dune buggy wheel. Also it looks like there should be 2 possible locations to connect it at the OB tiller so I might be able to adjust the ratio there a bit.

The fittings on both sides are G1/4 also known as 1/4" BSPP. I haven't picked up hoses yet but the local parker shop says they have them same day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics.. have to show pics when getting new stuff.. lol

Michael