Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chit happens

I have been messing with boats and outboards since about 1980 with a smattering of IOs. It has always been a hobby yet with outboard knowledge you will make a few bucks along the way. For the first few years I only worked on (broke) my own stuff. Once I had a little confidence I started working on others'. In that period of time I have damaged two boats. In the first instance a 1 piece ball broke on my fork truck and let a 22' bullet with a 3.2 stroker roll down my drive and slam into my camper destroying the motor's cowling. At that time I had zero idea what those things cost which is beside the point and it was replaced. I have insurance for my business but as stated earlier this is not my business so out of pocket we go.
    Retired a few years back and have gotten more into the boating thing with the acquisition of some machines such as a vertical mill, dual bar boring table, lathe, and soon to be dyno. Built quite a few motors this year and machined many more plus worked on a bunch of boats. One of our fine members here recommended me as a source for a replacement motor. I currently have quite the pile of Mercs and we were able to work out a deal on a nice motor with six new pistons. I agreed to install motor and do a couple other things while it was here.
    Motor starts and runs fine. New controls from Pro Marine and they work fine. Had a bad solenoid on the trim so I ordered a couple new ones. He also bought a coned channeled lower as an upgrade. I wanted to get it installed but could not trim motor up to accommodate so I swapped a couple wires and got it trimmed up. Motor had just gotten a different fuel hook-up so I always turn motor as far right so connection is not over boat in case it decides to leak. You never know.
    This boat is a 1988 classic that had just been structurally rebuilt and literally looks like new. For whatever reason I wanted to turn the motor straight before installing lower and was not paying enough attention and did not realize the front latch was hanging down. It struck the top of the new transom putting a scratch about and inch long and .040 deep. I almost puked. Perfect beautiful boat and I mucked it up.
    As we all know there are many different kinds of people. Some take this kind of news well while others hang up on you and call their lawyer. I called the gentleman and relayed the bad news. I explained I have friends in the auto restoration business and their work is impeccable. Since it had just been redone and he was happy with the work I also offered to let his guys do the work on my dime. I then said if neither of these options were satisfactory and he had a different way he wanted to proceed I would accept all responsibility. His reply...don't worry about it. So I will patch it up myself and make a financial adjustment on what he owes for the motor. I feel extremely fortunate to have a customer like this.
    Anyway the purpose of this thread is I can't be the only one that has damaged a customers boat. Figured there has to be some interesting stories out there. If not, oh well, I've called myself out before.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar experience with my mechanic. New motor on restored boat. That was 1989 and I'm going tomorrow morning for him to do some service on the fishing boat.
    Stuff happens and it sounds like you've done your part and met him more than halfway.Good work ,good service,and honesty go along way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody’s perfect, we’re human mistakes happen, I learned at a young age to come clean and own a mistake when it happens and make it right , what I can’t stand is bull chit stories about what happened
    2003 mirage ski racer with e-tec power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its because Midwest people are REAL people. Most anyway...always a asshole..(karma gets them down the line..)

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    I have been messing with boats and outboards since about 1980 with a smattering of IOs. It has always been a hobby yet with outboard knowledge you will make a few bucks along the way. For the first few years I only worked on (broke) my own stuff. Once I had a little confidence I started working on others'. In that period of time I have damaged two boats. In the first instance a 1 piece ball broke on my fork truck and let a 22' bullet with a 3.2 stroker roll down my drive and slam into my camper destroying the motor's cowling. At that time I had zero idea what those things cost which is beside the point and it was replaced. I have insurance for my business but as stated earlier this is not my business so out of pocket we go.
    Retired a few years back and have gotten more into the boating thing with the acquisition of some machines such as a vertical mill, dual bar boring table, lathe, and soon to be dyno. Built quite a few motors this year and machined many more plus worked on a bunch of boats. One of our fine members here recommended me as a source for a replacement motor. I currently have quite the pile of Mercs and we were able to work out a deal on a nice motor with six new pistons. I agreed to install motor and do a couple other things while it was here.
    Motor starts and runs fine. New controls from Pro Marine and they work fine. Had a bad solenoid on the trim so I ordered a couple new ones. He also bought a coned channeled lower as an upgrade. I wanted to get it installed but could not trim motor up to accommodate so I swapped a couple wires and got it trimmed up. Motor had just gotten a different fuel hook-up so I always turn motor as far right so connection is not over boat in case it decides to leak. You never know.
    This boat is a 1988 classic that had just been structurally rebuilt and literally looks like new. For whatever reason I wanted to turn the motor straight before installing lower and was not paying enough attention and did not realize the front latch was hanging down. It struck the top of the new transom putting a scratch about and inch long and .040 deep. I almost puked. Perfect beautiful boat and I mucked it up.
    As we all know there are many different kinds of people. Some take this kind of news well while others hang up on you and call their lawyer. I called the gentleman and relayed the bad news. I explained I have friends in the auto restoration business and their work is impeccable. Since it had just been redone and he was happy with the work I also offered to let his guys do the work on my dime. I then said if neither of these options were satisfactory and he had a different way he wanted to proceed I would accept all responsibility. His reply...don't worry about it. So I will patch it up myself and make a financial adjustment on what he owes for the motor. I feel extremely fortunate to have a customer like this.
    Anyway the purpose of this thread is I can't be the only one that has damaged a customers boat. Figured there has to be some interesting stories out there. If not, oh well, I've called myself out before.

Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, chit does happen - no matter how talented or well intentiond one is. What separates the good folks from the dregs of the earth is what they do next. Some folks claim ignorance and / or do nothing. Some folks try to cover up the damage. "Real" folks admit to their error, fess up to the customer and make good on the damage. It's nice to know there are still good folks out there!
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

6. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We just human randy and chit happens. I wouldnt hesitate to send u work at all , also glad your customer is a down to earth guy ,kinda like most of us here. I sure bet ur ass was in ur throat when that bullet rolled down the drive. Yikes. got lucky

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! It happens to everyone! You did the right thing for sure by fessing up. I've had it happen to my stuff while being worked on before, and the shops have both been honest, and not. I find it much easier to swallow as a customer if the shop is up-front and honest. But if they try to hide it or skirt around it, that is when it gets aggravating.

Good job on doing the right thing and I'm sure you will have a customer for life because you have proved yourself as an honest man. Stuff happens.

9. Likes Kcraft liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When back in Illinois, had my Switzer 17SS w/1500 XS (all 1974) and ran Fox Chain. Boat built Bobby Switzer, Ralph Kozan did the motor, Jim Moulis Fox Lake Harbor rigged it. Couple years later, did a "hole in one". Off to see Uncle Ralph (what we called him). Tore down, hone the bore and new slug. Had it back in 2 weeks. Think only $300 something charge.
    Back on the lake and soon (second day) did another hole out! Back to Ralph. We found out fast as I ran Reg gas, 23 timing then, and he thought I was racing it Thursdays nite drags at Blarneys! Had the timing cranked way up for race gas! Knew something wasn't right when almost getting same speed with only 5 holes working a before with 6!
    Stand up guy, said his fault, had it back in a week and "no charge". But we still gave him a fair share of our "opps" tio fix!
    Plus I bought a Merc from him when worked out his garage for my Allison before. Merc 2 stroke oil for blood his veins!