Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Format for OFF 2020 !!!

New Format OFF .—— in spite of Noel’s valiant efforts, simple truth is—- the old farts forever is dying !
    Needs to be updated—- upgraded to urgent—- now!

Whilst its the only kind of boat racing and ex boat racers annual event in the world—- it’s disappearing up its own asse.
    Over half the regular old farts decided to give it a miss this year !!!
    Simple truth is —— it’s going to die if we don’t do something about it!
    WHAT——- I don’t know—— so come on all you old boat racers—— this threads started to try and breathe some new life int the old farts!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    New Format OFF .—— in spite of Noel’s valiant efforts, simple truth is—- the old farts forever is dying !
    Needs to be updated—- upgraded to urgent—- now!

Whilst its the only kind of boat racing and ex boat racers annual event in the world—- it’s disappearing up its own asse.
    Over half the regular old farts decided to give it a miss this year !!!
    Simple truth is —— it’s going to die if we don’t do something about it!
    WHAT——- I don’t know—— so come on all you old boat racers—— this threads started to try and breathe some new life int the old farts!
    Wrong time of year - what about moving it to the March event? Driving down from the Northland is very iffy in November - I got caught in an ice storm in Illinois last year on the way home - and I didn't go to OFF because the Antique OB group has their fall meet the same weekend and I went there to see friends. The March event timeframe would allow folks to also hang around for the ACBS classic boat show the following weekend at Tavares. Just my $.02, or what ever kind of money you England folks use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Wrong time of year - what about moving it to the March event? Driving down from the Northland is very iffy in November - I got caught in an ice storm in Illinois last year on the way home - and I didn't go to OFF because the Antique OB group has their fall meet the same weekend and I went there to see friends. The March event timeframe would allow folks to also hang around for the ACBS classic boat show the following weekend at Tavares. Just my $.02, or what ever kind of money you England folks use.
    OK, that’s a start Bernie—- needs a hell of a lot more of you to creep out of the woodworms and voice your opinions——- Two cents is two cents universally—- anywhere in the world Bernie.
    Doesnt matter a flying fart that it was an Englishman that started the ball rolling——if you are or ever have been interested in boat racing——— then get on here SAP. Doesn’t matter what breed you are—- hells teeth—- I’ve even been known to speak to South Africans—- Scandinavians and Australians.
    Firstsuggestion is it needs to be in March—— not November——- anyone else with their “ fourpennorth”.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to get 1/2 the country to come? Convince BRP to put the Rotary Race engine on the back of a race boat and let one of the old farts drive it I promise you one hell of a croud if it's advertised. I would even donate my time au gratis to make it happen.

5. Likes RogerH, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Want to get 1/2 the country to come? Convince BRP to put the Rotary Race engine on the back of a race boat and let one of the old farts drive it I promise you one hell of a croud if it's advertised. I would even donate my time au gratis to make it happen.
    Very commendable Johnno—— all I know is, the first two events have never been equalled.
    To me—- best ever was at Caddilacs place on the inter coastal nr Indiantown !

7. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie, I really wanted to attend OFF this past weekend.
    It would have been my first OFF and was hoping to come with a good friend of mine that has attended a few OFF's and is well known to the group.
    When he decided not to go it gave me a lot of uncertainty as to what it would be like to be there as an unknown who's claim to fame was that I drove FE and SE in the 70's and I am not a National or World Champion - simply someone who participated, loved every minute of it and have always been a fan/historian of outboard racing in the 70's and most of the 80's. If I knew it would be OK just to be there and 'listen-in' while others talked of glory then maybe I wouldn't have that feeling like do I belong here?
    Not sure how, but too bad some of the OMC guys (Sanders, Posey, Hill etc.) couldn't be convinced to start coming so to make it a real reunion of ALL racers that contributed to IMO the best years of outboard racing.
    I should be retired by this time next year and I fully plan to attend next year and meeting you in person is most definitely on my to do list.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    Jackie, I really wanted to attend OFF this past weekend.
    It would have been my first OFF and was hoping to come with a good friend of mine that has attended a few OFF's and is well known to the group.
    When he decided not to go it gave me a lot of uncertainty as to what it would be like to be there as an unknown who's claim to fame was that I drove FE and SE in the 70's and I am not a National or World Champion - simply someone who participated, loved every minute of it and have always been a fan/historian of outboard racing in the 70's and most of the 80's. If I knew it would be OK just to be there and 'listen-in' while others talked of glory then maybe I wouldn't have that feeling like do I belong here?
    Not sure how, but too bad some of the OMC guys (Sanders, Posey, Hill etc.) couldn't be convinced to start coming so to make it a real reunion of ALL racers that contributed to IMO the best years of outboard racing.
    I should be retired by this time next year and I fully plan to attend next year and meeting you in person is most definitely on my to do list.
    Same here - I ran Stock Outboards, and for toy boats later on I had a Switzer Wing and a GW Invader, then marriage and family took precedence. While I was busy at Mercury building things for racers to wreck, I mean drive, I kept up with OPC racing via trips to St. Louis, Beloit, Kankakee, even out to St. Marys Ohio to watch races.
    I was a great friend of Johnny Bakos, we both lived here in Fond du Lac forever.

I would attend OFF just to listen and meet - I hope it can be moved to the March timeframe which wold better allow me to do so. Couple photos from back in the day attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invader OUCH!.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	453150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hedlund 001.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	453151
    My ill fated Invader after I stuffed it!

10. Thanks peterse90 thanked for this post
    Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bernie—- keep em coming—— you might just get a few more old farts dipping their feet in !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been staying with the Seebolds this week—— couldn’t explain in a thousand years the ties I have with these people—- Mike, Mark, Timmy and Little Billy—— my daughter SAm have just simply been there for each other——this somehow equates with the “ old farts”. —- When I walk in the door I still get the hug from Lynne that I first got nearly fifty years ago——
    Ive watched famous names disappear from our midst ——HAUSER, BACOS, SUTPHEN, SIROIS ANDYESTERDAY HUDNELL.
    Don’t want to let this OFF thing die—— I still think it’s important—- it’s in the shadow of the Vintage people at the minute. I have nothing against the old boats—— I just think old racers are more important ——- I just hope we don’t get lost along the way !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Don’t want to let this OFF thing die—— I still think it’s important—- it’s in the shadow of the Vintage people at the minute. I have nothing against the old boats—— I just think old racers are more important ——- I just hope we don’t get lost along the way !
    Fully agree, some interest in the vintage boats but way more appeal to me to attend an OFF event where the people who were actually there in the 60's, 70's and 80's are the feature.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    Fully agree, some interest in the vintage boats but way more appeal to me to attend an OFF event where the people who were actually there in the 60's, 70's and 80's are the feature.
    Exactly my sentiments too Peters—— I do actually like the old boats—- but let’s face it, the only thing for the old farts was a poorly attended Friday night dinner and absolutely nothing else! The whole weekend was all about the Florida Vintage Boat Club ! I tell you—- the old farts won’t turn up for another replica of this years event—— why would they? Jesus wept, if I want to talk to any old fart these days, all I have to do is Facetime him or her—— FOF FREE ,!!!
    An annual OFF meeting has to have a purpose—— first you need the PROMISE—— then the Program—— then the participation——- and excitement of expectation—— then the rewards of both and the celebration for the effort!
    Just because ALL the old farts are getting on in years, doesn’t mean to say they’re senile and useless

Tell me—— why and what would entice me to Tavares again—— it’s expensive—— boring as watching paint dry—— food is third rate at best and piss poor in my opinion!
    Rigor Mortis could set in to old fart observers very easily—— we are easy pickings for the Reaper.
    we need “activities” —— to be busy—— something to look forward to— some excitement! I don’t mean a couple of slots and bingo ( lotto ) cards.
    In the past we had visits to Geico- ——- WILSONS shop—- Caddilacs on the inter coastal—— golf tourneys——- CHARLIE Wolfs flying antics—— a reason to meet?
    If you didn’t bring a boat to Tavares there was bugger all for you !
    Was going to wait until I had left the country before I posted this—— but it needed to be said !
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 11-24-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Because I want to

15. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes OLEGATOR, John Schubert, peterse90 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caddilac came up to Marks shop, was lovely to see him again—— always has something on the go.
    He has a 41 APACHE —— original with no title—— he’s going to saw it in half to make a bar! Or rather a pair of bars——- LEFT AND RIGHT HAND BAR ??? Only Caddy could come with that !
    He does actually mean it—— so if you’re interested get in touch with him.
    Would be a hell of a feature next to the Barbie!
    He agrees with me—— OFF is dying and needs a shot!
    Talking about bringing it back down to Indiantown—- he was impressed with Noels effort— but agrees the OFF needs its own identity, so come on guys, we need input here!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotary Bait

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Great idea RJ! I have been saying the same thing on S&F on several threads for a long time. Get a rotary to really run (probably for the last time in human history) and you'll get a lot of OF'rs out of the toolies to see it. Problem is I don't think BRP has any of the Rotaries anymore. They've been locked away by collectors just like the Raiders Of The Lost Arc movie. Only news I've ever seen about a rotary on this site was that of Greg Jacobsen (SeaWay Marine) acquiring the last known unit (Johnson) from BRP a few years back. Finding the biblical arc would be easier than a running rotary. As far as an OF OMC driver, good luck with that. Jimbo and Barry can't drive anymore...…..maybe Posey, but I doubt it. Even getting the last existing rotaries on display stands would be an accomplishment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help Jake from Seaway with some expenses and get him to bring down some race engines and the worlds fastest outboard...
    I'll come to visit that OFF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see that other old farts feel the same way I do—— Off needs to keep its own identity.
    Its all very well running it at the same time as the Vintage boat meet, but somewhere along the way it’s lost it’s identity.
    I don’t really mind where we meet—— Florida seemed like a good idea at the time—- keep suggestions coming.
    Don't really know where the best place ,or time would be—— keep suggesting— I’ll keep listening!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast